Flyinside B206 B3 Discussion

Best advise it joint their Discord Server and speak to the developers directy. FlyInside Helicopters
They are usually around all the time during the day and a great bunch of people there.

1 Like

Great idea, Iā€™ll head on over.

Cheers

Feel like I must be missing a trick here. I have this and the Cowan 206, and I know they canā€™t be compared in handling, but with the FI it really doesnā€™t want to gain altitude. Full collective and it just gradually climbs. Tops out at around 12k ft or less but even at sea level, it just climbs really slowly at any and all speeds. Needs 90% collective to even lift off.

The Torque never gets out of limits, itā€™s like there is some reduced power thing going on. Latest version. Do I need to manually change the throttle with mouse? Never used to have to. I am sure it should be more eager to climb and lift-off.

Check the Rate of Climb charts at https://www.mvheli.com/wp-content/uploads/bell-206b3-fm-1.pdf

Its no rocket, but it should match the numbers

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Iā€™m getting nowhere near that I think. Iā€™ll test again tonight and make a video to share.

I think I had a similar problem a while ago. The FI 206 is the only turbine helicopter in MSFS that has a working throttle axis, so check if your throttle is indeed full.
Normally with the FI 206 when you pull full collective, you will ruin your engine pretty quickly.

A max ceiling of 12k sounds okay, depending on density altitude. A while ago I tried to reach the top of the Zugspitze, Germanyā€™s highest mountain at 9718 feet, in the FI 206. It was a real struggle, so I asked about it on the FI Discord. I learned a bit about density altitude and helicopter performance charts and came to the conclusion that this performance was absolutely in sync with the real-life performance. I had to fly with minimum fuel to make it to the top, which then felt like a real achievement.

5 Likes

@smitty9792 & @JasonMuc2112
I made a test flight video. Throttle is definitely at maximum (and was before) but I did whole flight at full power (collective fully up) and torque goes nowhere near red line as it used to. It did seem to lift up a bit better than yesterday (at the end of the vid I did some small repositioningā€™s trying that out, maybe at 80% of collective lift instead of 90%) but I still think I am not getting the full amount here. Very hard to gain altitude whatever I do. Only way I could gain a lot quicker was by dropping down fast and then nose up, but that soon scrubs the speed and it is back to not going over the 1,000 fpm at best. Is that normal?

As soon as I want to pick up forward speed (over 60-70) I need to point the nose down to do so, then it loses altitude again so I canā€™t really go as fast as I used to be able.

Also I donā€™t know where I plucked the 12k ft ceiling from yesterday. No way it could get that high I think! Was struggling to get over 2.5k here

Oh and do you like my stall recovery? :smiley:

check your collective axis in the sensitivity setting, do you have extremity deadzone set?

Nope:

EDIT: Here I am at 16k feet, in the MD 500E, and still climbing at 2500ft/min. Same control profile. This is with about 85% collective currently, and itā€™s not into the orange band of torque. I can make it spike higher if I pull the collective to 100% so itā€™s not my controls. All other copters are fine.

Experiment continuedā€¦ got up to 27k at 100% collective before it wanted to fall :smiley:

I have only watched the first three minutes, need to start working soon. To me everything looks normal, but you are at only 62% torque so climb performance is of course not great. I normally cruise at 70%, and the yellow arc starts at 85%. I am not at my flightsim computer at the moment, so I cannot check my settings. But have you taken a look the FI 206 manual and compared the recommended axis bindings?

Will double check tonight, thanks :wink:

Yeah its very weird that your torque needle seems to be painted on at 65% ā€¦ even during that blade stall. Canā€™t really compare to the 500, you can get that thingā€™s airspeed needle pointed offscale to the word KNOTS and nothing bad happens.

1 Like

Hi, you know that 16k feet is way too much for the MD 500E with 2500 ft/min climb rate?
The max climb rate in the Product Spec is 1770 ft/min at sea level.
The Maximum Operating Altitude is 16k feet.

All Cowansim helicopter models are not real-life performer, the Flyinsides are made to match the real-life performance by the number.
So, comparison should be avoided. Itā€™s far from realistic.

It wasnā€™t a comparison of altitude I can reach - it was just to show that same control profile allows to do that in another copter because it can reach 100% which seems to be the problem with the 206. Anyway I will investigate more tonight.

TBH I have never been that high in a helicopter before anyway, but once I was up already I thought Iā€™d see what happens! :smiley:

I made a video of the way down if you want to see but itā€™s nothing to do with this topic - you can find it on my channel via the other video I posted lol

Not getting more than 65% torque must be a setup problem on your PC.
I tried Budapest today.
With 50% fuel, Pilot and copilot (340 lbs) at the 80 degrees Farenheit temperature the altitude of 8500 feet is correct.

Overall weight was 2600 lbs, density altitude over 10k feet.
So right on the point.

Your problem is the 65% torque, which shouldnā€™t be a limit.
Maybe you have an assistant system running?

1 Like

Thanks for the info and taking the time to do that :+1: Much appreciated!! I am going to try and solve this in a moment. Just finished work. Weekend ā€” yay!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just FYI, I have two axes bound: helicopter collective (heli go up and down) and helicopter throttle (just for startup and shutdown). If you have any of the fixed wing power control axes bound as well, you should probably remove them.

Well just checked and it was like this:

To be sure I clicked easy then Realistic again to see if that resets something.

I also rechecked my binds and I did have Collective and Throttle axis bound both on the same input (one of the other choppers I use needs Throttle for collective) but I removed that and makes no difference.

The only way I can get the torque over 65% is to give full left pedal, even then it only goes to about 95% for a brief moment.

Let me askā€¦ as I do remember this being the case. If you JUST slam to 100% up on your collective when on the ground, it should stress the engine as it peaks/spikes torque very high, right? I am not getting that. I used to have engine failures but that no longer happens ever even if I am trying to abuse it to test. Donā€™t know where else to look :confounded:

Maybe I should delete it and reinstall?

EDIT: Ah wait!! I just put the bottom slider (Collective Travel) to 100 and now it goes WELL into over-torque! So, ummmmmm what should that value really be? 55 is default!

3 Likes

Just wanted to mention this. My Collective Travel is on 100. EDIT: And the presets donā€™t change this value.

1 Like

Ohhh, OK! Thatā€™s weird that default is 55. I donā€™t recall ever changing that manually.

I just tried 80 and now get 2k ft/m climb at 60 speed with the torque in middle of orange.

Soā€¦ yeah itā€™s solved!!! :heart: I will try 100 on slider and be careful lol.

This could make this heli come up in my list again now! I am gonna give it a good run!

Thanks for all the help guys!! :smiley:

4 Likes