Flysimware Cessna 414A

Realism or not, if given the choice I would have the livery screen be for just that, liveries, and be able to switch GPS in the cockpit.

9 Likes

I’ve just been on a few flights with version 2.4.1. I don’t know whether it’s just me getting more used to it, or a flight model change, but I used to find as I enter the flare I would occasionally flare too hard. But because there was some “lag”, think mass/inertia, I would then find I have to lower the nose to compensate, leading to PIO.

That didn’t happen once on my last few flights, and each landing felt really good. The plane still feels like it has some weight to it, but at the same time doesn’t feel sluggish.

This is shaping up to be a firm favourite, and I’m splitting my time between this, and the Big Radials Goose.

3 Likes

And the ILS capture problem in the GNS530 variant oviously has been solved, too (by implementing some kind of “approach hold” command as you could see in one of the lates flysimware livestreams on youtube). I feel like they are getting closer to release status. Next there will be implemented animated inflatable de-icing boots. If there were wear and tear and failures I think I would never ever want to fly another plane again anymore.

1 Like

And the OBS in version GNS 530 is working properly?

I kind of noticed the same thing but I get the feeling its just that I’m getting used to how she handles. I’m anticipating much earlier how fast I needed to be be pre flare now. She’s a blast to fly.

1 Like

Have you noticed something odd about the turn coordinator? I need to compare behaviour with another plane, for me that’s usually the 172’s behaviour.

In level flight, with the ball centred, slowly apply full right rudder. Now let it return, then repeat for full left rudder. I don’t see any deflection of the ball at all.

I’m sure I’ve seen this before, and I think it was the BBS Islander.

I also did some reading on the 414, and from what I’ve read it is supposed to have counter rotating props, yet I tend to find a continuous tendency to gently roll to the left unless you are at higher speeds, which I haven’t measured so I can’t say when that tendency is eliminated.

And in certain situations I find that the ball will not centre, no matter how much right rudder you apply, with only a roll to the left causing it to centre.

Cessna 172 - Full right rudder, wings level

Cessna 172 - Full left rudder, wings level

414 - level flight

414 - full right rudder

414 - full left rudder - Had to switch to night as I was getting too much buffeting

So it’s not as bad as I remember on my last trip, where I saw no deflection whatsoever. Hmmm.

It’s possible it’s airspeed related, as I remember reading the sim won’t allow you to apply full elevator deflection at speed, in an attempt to simulate the pressure of the air on the elevator. Perhaps they are doing the same thing for the rudder?

After lunch I will repeat at lower speeds.

1 Like

I’m quoting myself to say that reinstalling fixed my problem. The version number was correct, but something must have gone wrong when I installed it.

I’d also like to add my opinion, being that I absolutely hate the avionics selection being tied to the livery selection. I’d prefer it to be selectable in the cockpit, but an alternative preference would be to have them each as separate aircraft. (Not ideal, but it’s how other devs deal with different varients) It’s irritating trying to pick a livery while sorting through 4 different avionics packages, quadrupling the number of liveries, and making a decision based on just the thumbnail impossible.

1 Like

The new version is excellent but IMHO the flight model is still some way off.

Even an F35 wouldn’t react with the speed and brutality that this aircraft possesses. There doesn’t feel like there’s any weight to the machine, no inertia, and the merest gesture towards the controls has the machine reacting like a cat with a fire underneath it.

I know the old flying instructors saying that would immediately get my post deleted, but lets just say even when trying to be as gentle as is possible with this thing it still has the responsiveness of a 6th gen fighter aircraft.

Inconsistent and overly sensitive controls have been a problem with all versions of flight simulator and ultimately that is down to Asobo to fix, but other developers have demonstrated it can be done right in FS2020 (Just Flight, MilViz, PDMG). There is work to be done on the 414 there for sure.

1 Like

My experience is quite different from yours. There is definitely more inertia now and the plane seems to handle much better than it did a few versions ago. Actually I am quite pleased and trust me, I was critical about the flight handling before. Are you sure you properly uninstalled previous versions and installed the most recent one. And also make sure the flight handling is not ruined by a livery mod. That seems to be a possible danger as well.

1 Like

I’m happier with the pitch response now than I was with 2.3. As mentioned earlier, perhaps in this thread, your opinion of how a plane flies in the sim seems greatly affected by the quality of your controllers. If you have a decent amount of travel on pitch, and high resolution, then it will feel fine. Use something with less throw on pitch, and low resolution, and don’t hate me for this, the 8bits of the original Honeycomb Alpha, then your opinion may be skewed. Compared to the Yoko+, you are looking at 256 steps on an axis compared to 4096. It’s not even close.

I can only say what I’m experiencing. Using the Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo and stock sensitivity settings, the Just Flight Arrow(s) and Warrior as well as the PDMG 737 (all aircraft I’ve flown for real) are pretty much in the ballpark.

This is correctly installed etc and it is still just way too sensitive, particularly in pitch. As there’s no force feedback on home simulator controls there is probably a bit of a tendency to over-control anyway, but the 414 feels like the stock aircraft to me, like the handling characteristics are an afterthought.

The underlying issue is that the sim flight model is obviously tricky for some developers to utilise to it’s fullest. This sensitivity problem though has blighted all versions of this sim since the very early days so it’s no major surprise that it still exists in FS2020. The ability to tune that out is made all the harder by the bizarre way Asobo have presented that option. However, other developers have managed to get realistic feeling aircraft with stock settings, so in my opinion the 414 has got some way to go.

In every other respect this aircraft is fantastic, if the devs can get this flight model dialled in (and by that I mean significantly less sensitive than it currently is and make it feel like a heavier aircraft) then it will be amazing.

3 Likes

The later idea is probably the best compromise.

1 Like

If they do I hope they include options for those that don’t think its twitchy on pitch. Since you mentioned the Honeycomb, the likely difference here is 256 vs 4096 resolution per axis. Forgetting travel on pitch for a moment, me moving my yoke an inch won’t be an inch of travel for you, as far as the observed effect I mean. For me that inch might be a very small change on pitch, but your inch would be a greater change in pitch.

This isn’t a new thing, and certainly not restricted to the 414. Each plane has a fixed config, and it will feel different to fly depending on which controller you use.

Some use tweaked acceleration curves on their axes, I use an entirely linear response on mine.

Did they move their website somewhere else and forgot to tell us? Flysimware’s website is gone! Did they make an announcement here?

Thank you!

For me the webpage works as it should. I am located in Germany

• This domain is pending renewal or has expired. Please contact the domain provider with questions. Thats what i see.

Me too from Italy

According to their discord Mark (the dev) is aware of the Website issue and is apparently looking into it.

1 Like

Their domain expired. They just have to pay the renewal fee and all will be well again.

Looks like the website is up and running again, at least it is for me in the U.K.

Great news for ‘us’ simers but not maybe for our wallets!

1 Like