FMC Approach selection

It happens every time to me that ATC gives me way too late instructions on how to approach the airport so when activating the designated approach in my FMC panel the AP will take me back as the first waypoint of the approach sequence is already behind me (or somehow started behind me as the waypoint often is ahead of me but the purple line takes me back just to fly a 180’ and then head to the waypoint itself).

Is there some way to fix this behaviour or to automatically select the next waypoint in the sequence ahead of me? My workaround now is to quickly select the second waypoint in my approach sequence by activating the leg to it manually. This somehow works but still my plane is flying in circles until we arranged our approaching behaviour… that sucks!

I have the same issue…
After approaching procedure selected.
AP take me away from the course.
If I delete the last waypoint, it takes me more far away.

1 Like

One way I have found to get over this issue is first to set a ‘Direct to’ instruction using the relevant Left Soft Key and pick the final destination airport. This essentially wipes your entire previous route. Execute that and wait a second or two for the new magenta line to appear using your current position as the start point.

Then go ahead and select and activate the approach assigned by ATC and that seems to get over the bug of the great reverse course

2 Likes

interesting workaround, but nevertheless this seems not to be an appropriate solution as I do not want to have to delete my entire flight route just to select an approach, you know what I mean? :smiley:

So it is definitely a bug then and not me not knowing how to use the FMC correctly. It’s so annoying.

1 Like

There’s another topic with a bunch of votes that touch on this. It might be the reshuffling thread. It may be helpful to upvote those too.

Anyway, I have four solutions.

One, advance the sim rate and just fast forward through the annoyances.

Two, as mentioned tell the flight computer to go direct to the next waypoint rather than backtrack. Hope it doesn’t freeze the sim.

Three, don’t depend on ATC to assign you an approach. Plan it yourself and add it prior to hitting your last waypoint that it will probably want to backtrack to. Check wind direction before take-off in the start-up map and know to use the wind direction to guess expected active runways. Or check real weather and expected runways while using real weather in the sim, or tune to the radio in the air and hope to figure out the active runways before hitting that last marker.

Three, which is my solution, use Pilot2ATC and dump the stock ATC.

1 Like

Thanks for your tips, but nevertheless all of these are just workarounds as the current solutions just does not work properly. So I think we all want the same and keep hoping for a better ATC version soon.

Would you mind referencing those other topics you mentioned with this one here?

Please vote for this one as well to get more overall attention on this topic!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.