For VR, should I but the game on Steam or from Microsoft Store?

I’ve been subscribing to Xbox Game Pass for PC for a while now, meaning I’ve installed and played MSFS2020 from the Microsoft Store. When it comes to VR, which I’ve played on my Oculus Quest 2 headset, this has limited me to using Link via the Oculus app (both with and without a cable; most often without).

Now, I’m thinking about canceling my subscription and simply buying the game upfront, either on Microsoft Game Store or on Steam (those are my only options, right?). I hear that some people have had a great experience using Virtual Desktop, but it seems to me this only can be achieve if the game is running via Steam. If I buy it on Steam, will I still be able to play it using Oculus Link, or will I be tied to only using Virtual Desktop then? Also, what happens if I buy a new headset in the future, for example the HP Reverb G2?

Basically, my question is where I should buy the game in order to future proof my experience when it comes to using different options and interfaces. That is, for VR, what are the pros and cons buying the game from the different stores?

I’m sure either works just fine. I purchased from the store and it works no issue.

You can use Virtual Desktop while the game is installed from the Microsoft Store? Would you care sharing how you do this?

Ok. Totally my bad. For some reason I completely missed that part of the post. I retract my endorsement! That scenario I do not have expertise. Sorry!!

1 Like

Just my two cents, I’m using Steam version with the Reverb G2.
I do not use SteamVR, only OpenXR Developer whatever is called.
Happy as Larry.

Yes you can, that’s what I do. You just need to install Steam VR if you don’t have it, and ensure your OpenXR is pointing at Steam VR and not OculusVR:

Thanks! I’ve been following the advice in that thread and got it to at least somewhat work. Last question then I guess: Is it possible to play via Oculus Link if you have the Steam version?

No worries,
With my Microsoft Store version I am able to run any of the below
1 Virtual desktop with SteamVR
2 Oculus Link with Steam VR
3 Oculus Link with Oculus VR
My guess is running via Link with the Steam version is similar to my scenario 2 so it should work, but I can’t tell you for certain unfortunately as I don’t have the steam version

Anyone know if it’s possible to play via Oculus Link when owning the game on Steam?

I have the Steam version and am have used Oculus Link with both OpenXR and SteamVR. I do not have Virtual Desktop.

They are the exact same code.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.