ForeFlight compatibility

My understanding is that all such software would require being on the same subnet as the device running ForeFlight, otherwise it won’t see your broadcast packets and can’t pick up the device.

You would need a repeater that’s on both networks, I suppose?

I think you’re right, with Navigraph Simlink being the exception, because it’s reporting to/polling from a web server.

1 Like

Yes, Navigraph Simlink connects to Navigraph’s servers, not to Foreflight. Foreflight is meant to be used in flight when you may not have internet connectivity, and expects sensors to be on a local wifi network within the cockpit.

Everyone should be using Fs2ff instead of the Flightevents client. I was dumb, it’s better. :slight_smile:

Once the G1000 is brought into order and works as it is supposed to, I wish to be able to use Foreflight to load my flightplan into the G1000

https://foreflight.com/support/video-library/watch/?v=foreflight-and-garmin-two-way-flight-plan-transfer

Don’t expect this from MSFS, but you might see it eventually in the Workingtitle mod. Today, Simbrief import is supported in their CJ4 mod, so I would expect the same.

The “import” from FF to a G1000 isn’t done in a way that would really work in the version in the sim, I don’t think.

That said, its actually good practice to manually enter your plan into the G1000 anyway as a matter of verification/familiarization – but that’s IRL, I know we’re just simming :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use another app on my company iPad called FltPlan Go for VFR flying. It accepts data from Xplane, FSX and P3D, I’d love to be able to use it with MSFS too.

1 Like

Been a Flight Simmer for years…since the days of the first Microsoft Flight Simulators. I am also a real world Challenger 650 pilot…also an Apple computer user, which is why I have an XBOX…solely for the MSFS 20 option.
It seams that Microsoft has really forgotten about its commitment to bring solid hard-core functionality to the XBOX platform. Although it is good. It is not great.
One of my flight planning tools on MSFS is integrating Foreflight whenever I can into my flight planning. Foreflight is by far one of the most effective flight planning tools available to pilots today.
Is it possible that Microsoft can forge a partnership with Foreflight to build flight plans in Foreflight and execute those flight plans in MSFS. I am pretty sure I am not the first to think about this idea, but the in-game flight planning tool is obviously lacking. Not to mention the terrible ATC in the game which I have also mentioned on this message board.
With all the resources available to Microsoft it seems they could partner with some solid companies to integrate real-world tools and applications, specifically when it comes to flight planning, into the game to give a more realistic and educational experience, geared toward real-world pilots.
Just a few thoughts.

Sounds like a great idea, but I doubt it will happen. There are so many great flight planning software solutions out there for flight sim. Simbrief/Navigraph is one of the most widely used, and some aircraft in the sim even allow importing of flight plan directly from simbrief (FENIX, VisionJet, etc). :slight_smile:

I know right?
I had Navigrph for awhile but integrating the flight planning into the XBOX platform isn’t even possible.

Would just be nice for Microsoft to integrate more powerful flight planning into their software.

True, the inability to import flight plans into the XBOX does make things difficult. My only thought, is maybe if you have access to the OneDrive (but your on a mac so may not), you could save your flight plans in the cloud and then load them into the xbox from there. I’m on PC, so not certain how this would work.

I do have Onedrive because I use Microsoft products across multiple devices/platforms. That’s a really good idea, but I haven’t had the time to try that. I don’t know if you can access Onedrive from the XBOX though.

Since ForeFlight is married to Apple, I doubt they’ll ever get cozy with Microsoft. We’re probably much more likely to see them partnering with Garmin if such a thing were to happen.

Instead, I’d focus on petitioning for SimConnect or similar compatibility so that interfacing apps like XMapsy can make it into the XBox Marketplace:

I think that’s the only way you’ll ever get this to work, but to be honest, the Xbox platform will always lag behind PC in terms of connectivity and extensibility. I’m not an Apple fan at all, but rather than hoping that the best EFB solution would eventually come to Android, I broke down and bought an IPad so I could use ForeFlight. I think the most “hardcore” flight sim users simply need a PC.