Forum images too big on iPhone since maintenance 3rd May 2022

Not sure what category to post this in.

Has anyone else noticed that embedded images are now displaying too big to fit the screen since whatever work they did on the forums yesterday?

Even if I scale them to 75% or 50%, they are stretching off both sides of the screen on my phone now.

They are displaying OK for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Does it do the same in another browser?

Yes, same on Chrome and Safari on my iPhone X

EDIT: if I hold it landscape I can see the edges

Can you link to a post that it does this for you on? I’ll see if I can repro in my iPhone as well.

Hi. Thanks for your input.
It is literally any post with an image. Some examples:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/released-just-flight-bae146-the-little-jumbojet-april-29th/502682/781

Looks like this for me:

First noticed it on my own thread where I insert an image of a charts table and the left and right columns are cropped now (was fine before the recent maintenance). Example:

Looks like this:

But should (and did before) include the white edges at the sides of this image that I upload. Oh having written that I guess the “good” image here will also screw up lol

Umm yeah I can’t even show you a screen grab from my phone because THAT is going too big (for me!)!!

(Maybe you can download the images and see them properly in your album).

EDIT: oh yes, just realised you can just tap the embedded image to get the popup one and see what the full thing should be showing for my iPhone grabs and the actual table I publish.

@Jummivana
Further to this, I’m a web designer so I know a bit about how all this styling stuff works - and whilst I don’t know exactly how this forum system is constructed, I imagine it’s still using CSS styling.

Seems like something in the work done behind the scenes yesterday has changed the @media declaration for portrait on mobile devices (maybe not just iPhone, but “less than nn pixels” screen-width) and images are not being scaled down to 100% of actual screen-width dynamically when the page renders.

In landscape on phone I do see the full width of the images. And the fact it happens on Chrome and Safari the same means it’s not browser specific.

Just a thought! If I can help in any other way (send you a zip of “true” screenshots perhaps) let me know.

Thanks for the details! Which iPhone do you have?

Currently with my iPhone 11 Pro I see it like this (no stretching):

So I am wondering if there is a specific mobile type that is doing this. Will send along the web team!

I’m on iPhone X with iOS 14.8.1.

On that top picture you sent me I just about have the yellow box in view. Everything to the left is cropped (and same cut on right, like 20% off each side missing, I just about have the middle of propeller in view).

It’s not stretched (as in, not disproportionately) just too big overall so the height is also bigger than “normal” but it’s not cropping the tops and bottoms if that makes sense!

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

@Jummivana Adding some info:

Today I have on some posts what looks like 100% width scaled down (I mean entire width is visible) BUT the height of them is what it would have been if the image was wider, so they are now vertically stretched. See attached.

Still the posts I linked and my charts are as they were, with cropping though.

@Jummivana Just to let you know, I updated to iOS15 and the problems are gone now!

2 Likes

Doesn’t happen on an Android phone. :sunglasses:

It doesn’t happen on Apple either now lol
(But definitely something weird with iOS 14!)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.