Forward View, No Instrument Solution (Plus "Walkaround" for every plane ! )

Thanks man. HUD? hummmm hehehe (=lol), we can try…

Thanks buddy. I used to speak English with a little more fluency when I was an air force pilot and then, flying in commercial and business aviation. Nowadays I understand very well, I write a little carelessly and I speak very badly. It’s a lack of practice because I haven’t traveled for some years and I live on the coast, in a small town where I don’t know anyone who speaks English to practice. You got to know northern Brazil. It’s like another country. I live in the south and we even have snow around here. My state (Paraná) is called “the Brazilian Russia”. If I could help, I’m happy. Luck, health and success for all of us.

1 Like

It now works. Thank you.
However, it is “zoomed” much closer than if you were still sitting in the cockpit. You cannot see as much outside because it is zoomed in. What we really need is the same zoom level, the same view as the cockpit but without the cockpit showing. That is what the old “W” key did in FSX and FS9. I hope ASOBO will create this view.

No doubt. This solution is an alternative and it is not at all elegant. You learned a little Portuguese so you know that we say “gambiarra” or “Meia boca” or “jeitinho” for things like that. We can only hope that MS/ASOBO will create what every simulator already has: any key input for “scenario only” mode.

1 Like

This is such a great work around, that I created an account just to log in and say thank you. I’m using a 55" Curved Samsung, so my cameras.cfg had different values than yours. I modified the files a few times until I had it just right. With the 4k, it doesn’t look zoomed in too much. I can actually see so much better now. VFR flights are so much more enjoyable. I don’t even feel I need an official fix from Asobo for this anymore. I prefer it this way vs. the “W” option in FSX 2D mode. Seeing the nose of the plane with a tad of the dash gives a more immersivebfeel as you can still see the bobbing up and down from turbulence. Thanks again!

1 Like

I do not have a camera.cfg in the folder.

Any values for the 747 please?

Look in the “Airplanes” folder

C:\Users"Your ID"\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects\ Airplanes

Open the cameras.cfg file in an editor and look for the line “InitialZoom=xxx”.

Change this value to change the zoom level. (default is 0.35)

1 Like

also, the cameras section of the settings menu has a default zoom option in it that seems to set it for every aircraft instead of one by one and this option seemed to have little effect like it was being overridden by something else…

I had to laugh… I tried this in the A32NX and it put me in the jump seat :astonished:

Might try this.
Forward without cockpit as in X-Plane 11.
Go to the aircraft file.
Open the model folder.
Open model.cfg with Notepad++ or similar.
Place “a;” (without quotes) in front of both the interior and exterior model lines.
You will have ONLY scenery from the pilots seat/view.
Even in exterior view you will NOT see the plane.
If you only put the “a;” in front of the interior line, you will get parts of the exterior that look washed out or semi-transparent. Someone can probably figure out how to remove these with a graphics program. I’m not that guy.
If some figures it out, please let us know. I would like to see the cowl, prop and wings just no cockpit.
Works fine with Air Manager 4.0 and TrackIR.

You don’t need the “a” just the “;”.

Thanks. I’ll try your suggestion.

Is there any way to actually not have the sim render the cockpit if you are running them externally? I would imagine one could get a huge performance boost if you could run the panels externally through apps and then not in the sim?

So … soon coming up to a year from launch and we still have to use the workaround???

I can’t understand why the hud view (with no cockpit instruments) which was there in fsx has still not been implemented in the new sim. Maybe i’m missing something but I would have thought it would have been reasonably easy to code this in as an option without having to faff around with cfg files. I seem to recall that there is a hud option somewhere in ‘options’ but that it doesn’t work as intended. Have they given up on this?

Yes, this is still one most desired thing for me to, just a plain simple HUD only, or a full forward view without instruments, like Xplane and Aerofly 2.0 both have.
For cockpit owners a must and easy to code into the sim if you ask me, they just have to implement parts of the old FSX view system as a special option.

2 Likes

This has been going on longer than a year, all through the alpha and beta also. Its clear that since launch the coding priority has been centred around a game for the xbox , hopefully now this is achieved the team will start concentrating on the wish lists. I have to say that this would be a great feature for xbox also so I am surprised something so simple has been neglected for so long. Perhaps its not as easy as we perceive it to be?

2 Likes

Have you noticed that there is a setting in options somewhere (cockpit camera ??) called something like cockpit hud (to state the obvious I am not at my PC hence guessing at description)?

I think this was intended for a forward view without instruments but doesn’t actually work properly.

1 Like

Hi there, my first time ever.
New to flight simulator 2020, having problems following your post about hiding instruments and cockpit.
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong?
Please help .
Thanks

Hi, can you repost the video because it’s unavailable. Thanks