FPS since last update

Hey guys, I was flying out of Atlanta and I was getting literally 10fps. My specs are: Ryzen 5 2600, 16gb ram, RTX 2060 and I am running the game mostly medium-high settings. This had never happened to me before. I was flying the 787, using the heavy division mod, was connected to Vatsim (there was moderate to high traffic), and was running live weather. In this conditions I usually got around 20-25 fps before. I know Atlanta and most hand crafted airports in the game are heavy to frames, but this was unplayable. I checked my PC usage and saw this…

RAM usage was almost 100%, while GPU was only 17% and CPU 32%. Has something like this happened to anyone? What might be causing this issue

I got the exact same problem as you do. And solved it by going to my BIOS, and disable Hardware Virtualization Technology and in your case, would include disabling AMD-V . Once I disabled it in my BIOS, I’m no longer getting “Limited by Main thread” and my FPS is at a stable 30+ with no stutters.

Which driver version are you using? I got the 466.27 since a while and didn’t faced any stuttering or FPS drops. For me it’s the best 46x.x driver since my previous 457.x

I’m currently 466.47. I always keep my graphics driver up to date at all times. And like I said, I stopped getting the stutters as soon as I disabled the Hardware Virtualization Technology, and enabled Rolling Cache with at least 64 GB dedicated space.

Ok, maybe a solution but I have the virtualization still on.(Ryzen 3900x System) Rolling cache is standard I guess.

I am not so familiar with BIOS and all that stuff, but just to make sure, disabling the Hardware Virtualization Technology doesn’t affect the safety of the computer right?

No, it doesn’t affect the security of the computer. It’s merely a setting whether either you want the computer to Split the CPU Processing capabilities for parallel workload. Or focusing on full power on the main core, which the sim needs a lot.

I stumbled across a “fix” that seems to alleviate some of the stuttering with latest upgrade. I apologize in advance for the long post.

This am when I started the SIM I got an error message about no data connection. Before I could leave the connection had been reestablished and other than having to resign in on an XBOX screen it appeared to be normal. To test my performance I do a flight from Addison airport in the DFW area to Love Field. My stuttering like many others has gotten much worse since the update. Another quirk with this scenario is that a huge amount of buildings disappear and the come back just north of RWY 13L at Love Field. Imagine my surprise when this did not happen this AM. Landing very smooth and no rewrites of scenery. I tried the rest of my flights all with much smoother flying and barely any stuttering. The big test was the 747 challenge into Kennedy airport. Smooth as silk!!! Tonight I fired up the sim and alas back to what was going on before. Thinking of it having something to do with the internet I did the following steps and got the smoothness back. I don’t know why. Here are the steps.

1. In the data setup turn off online functionality. It will take 30 to 45 seconds to apply the settings. (I thought that maybe the game locked up; be patient)

2. Turn online functionality back on. Hit apply and save.

3. You will get this message: "Your package is out of date. In order to get the necessary updates and go on line you will be returned to sign in screen.

4. Click yes

5. You will see a little waning sign in the upper right hand screen that you have signed out of xbox live.

6. Screen will go black and then you will see Press any button to continue along the bottom of the screen.

7. An XBOX live will appear welcoming you back and inviting you to play the game.

8. After clicking the let’s play the splash screen will be the TBM930.

9. You then will return the normal option screens to setup your flight.

Whatever this does to the sim remains as long as you are playing. And you can run as many flights as you want which for me was better performance and less stuttering.

When you exit FS2020 and restart you will have to repeat the above steps. For the life of me I am not sure why this works and hopefully someone can explain it to me.

Hope it works for you

Thanks, but my method already works for me to get rid of the stutters and FPS issues without doing all that, and it’s permanent. I don’t have to logout and log back in

Neo,

Tried you steps and will try it again. I posted on your thread simply because i did not know how to start a new thread. I certainly was not discounting your fix and would prefer it over mine.

Mo

No, that’s SMT (Symmetrical Multi-Threading) aka HT (HyperThreading).

VT-d/AMD-V exists to accelerate virtualization, which basically means having virtual computers running on your real computer. For example so that you can run Linux inside Windows, or run the Android emulator to test Android applications on your computer.

The point still stands though: if you don’t know what it does, you can safely turn it off. There are no negative security implications. And in my experience it does increase your framerate even in repeated benchmarks, even though it doesn’t make a lot of sense that it should.

My guess is that virtualisation “reserves” some computing power in the CPU cores and threads to be dedicated for use for these virtual computers, whether you have them or not. So disabling them releases these reserved cores to be fully utilised by any apps that needs it.

The drawback of course is that you won’t be able to run any virtual computer, or even if you do the performance won’t be stable because it would be highly dependant on the current workload on the CPU, compared to virtualization being enabled which will guarantee a CPU performance for those virtual machines just like having a dedicated CPU for them.

But if you’re not running any virtual machine whatsoever, I don’t see a reason why this should be enabled. (Or that it should be enabled by default in the first place). So, more CPU avaiable to be used by MSFS, the better.

I highly doubt it; it doesn’t seem to affect performance in other games either.
It should just activate those intstructions that help accelerate VMs. If they’re not used, they shouldn’t really cost anything.

It depends on how other games utilise CPU in the first place, if the games are more GPU bound and not a lot of CPU usage the it probably doesn’t affect anything. But a CPU intensive game like Cities Skylines might be affected. I know it always feels weird that my Cities Skylines only working at 20 fps while other games are a lot smoother in the same hardware.

First of all, get MSI Afterburner or another tool to monitor resources instead of Windows Task Manager. Had a similar thing happen to me this past week. My flights are normally under 1 hour but sometimes when I have time to spare I do longer trips or multiple, shorter ones.

I was flying out of Boston Logan with perfectly good performance and landed at Kennedy just fine, no performance drops whatsoever. In a turboprop that’s like a 40-45 min flight with taxiing and all. Then I started a new flight out of Lukla in Nepal and landing at Paro and performance tanked. Whereas in less populated areas I get 50-60fps, I was lucky to get 10-15fps (with CPU & GPU massively underutilized). It got progressively worse the closer I got to my destination and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to land so I fully exited the sim, restarted it, same Lukla to Paro flight, same plane, weather, everything and I got the expected 50-60fps take off to landing.

Moral of the story is: It’s not your system, it’s not your BIOS settings, it’s FS2020. When I killed the sim I noticed that Windows was reporting crazy high RAM usage (like in your case) and had a hard time purging all of it (I sadly wasn’t monitoring RAM usage in-game). It looks to me that the sim has a random memory leak which manifests either during very long flights or when flying to multiple, different locations which forces it to load, say, Boston and then Nepal’s scenery and it chokes. I had a similar issue in South Africa about a month ago. It’s not what I would call rare, but most of my flights are fine so I am living with it until Asobo takes care of whatever the hell is broken.

1 Like

You cannot get any more FPS if your GPU is only 17%. The only way to boost FPS is to push the graphics processing from the CPU to the GPU. The GPU usage should be 90% to 100% to maximize FPS.

If you want maximum FPS without stutters or pauses @ 4k or 2k or 1080p, then adjust the graphics settings lower to push graphics processing to the GPU to drive the GPU to 90-100% utilization. Start by changing LOD settings to 50 - 80.

If you want maximum quality and detail graphics frames @ 4k or 2k at 1080p, then adjust the graphics setting higher to push graphics processing to the CPU. Start by changing LOD settings to 150-200 or use a hack to set them to 400-500.

I’ve done some testing changing ONLY the two LOD setting from very high (400) to a medium setting (80). Over NYC decreasing the LOD settings improved FPS 3x (11 to 33) driving GPU usage from 52% to 100%. Over farmland decreasing the LOD settings improved FPS 1.8x (17 to 32) driving CPU usage from 59% to 96%.

YMMV depending on your hardware and monitor resolution.

It is up to each user to decide how much graphics quality vs. FPS performance is configured.

1 Like

Hey neo, thanks a lot. This work fine !!! In ga aircraft is this so smooth !!! Wow. . With FBW over Hamburg in approach , smooth and only the micro stutter from the fbw pfd… thanks a lot.

Limited by main thread…

Hi there, I’m also really frustrated. I’m using the following system and already tried the “Process lasso” trick (deactivating the Windows dynamic Thread prioritization) and deactivating cpu-virtualiziation in my bios, does not work for me…

Getting around 28 fps on 1080p with RTX 3080… yes max settings but thats with the latest up-to-date-hardware…

Does anyone have an idea to some sort activate multithreading by another workaround?

• Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Prozessor (3,50 GHz, bis zu 5,30 GHz, 8 Kerne, 16 Threads und 16 MB Intel® Smart Cache)
  • Windows 10 Home
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 with 10 GB GDDR6X
  • MSI® MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE Wi-Fi Mainboard
  • Seasonic® Focus GX-750
  • 1 TB PCIe SSD
  • 32 GB Kingston® HyperX® Fury RGB DDR4 RAM
  • Alphacool Eisbaer 240 120mm
  • Wi-Fi 6 AX201 mit Bluetooth® 5.1
  • Networkcontroller 2,5 Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000/2500 Mbit/s.)

I’d recommend setting everything, Windows, BIOS, MSFS, video settings, to DEFAULT. Then change only one thing at a time. If the change doesn’t work, change it back before changing anything else.

I’m not a big fan of mucking around Windows or changing BIOS settings. I have no idea the impact of using Lasso and removing virtualization.