Frametime Spike = Stutter, Every 60 Seconds

Thx. Yep, but I’ll verify again .

This is a realy old problem. You can find some problem in the internet when you look for Windows 60 seconds nvidia.
One of them is talking about the slideshow in the background.
https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-usage-spikes-every-60-seconds.227636/

Have never had slideshow enabled. Thanks for the idea.

May be it is something different in the background. When it is exactly 60 seconds, it is a timer of a program.

I‘m suspecting the same. But couldn’t find such a process yet.

For the record: 8700k, 3080, 32gb ram, nvme

I would get stutters that would seem more like short pauses every 52 seconds or so.

I opened up task manager on a second monitor to try and see if another process would take resources from flightsimulator.exe.

Big surprise: each minute, flightsimulator.exe would launch another process related to VR !!! That process stops within a second and flightsimulator.exe would resume processing. Sorry I do not have the exact name of that sub process. The stutter/pause coinsides with the sub process launch.

Its like MSFS periodically pokes the VR ecosystem but since steamvr is off it stops.

First test: I turned SteamVR ON but left the headset aside (index). This way I flew pancake mode WITHOUT any stutters for at least 15 minutes then I stopped playing.

Second test: when flying in VR I do not get the “long” stutters/pause I get in pancake mode.

Could someone else try this ??

2 Likes

Yeah. I know this post. But it doesn’t explain my particular problem. I don‘t have this slideshow enabled.

UPDATE !!
The process FlightSimulator.ex spawns is vrserver.exe

vrserver log files clearly shows it is being started every minut or so, does it thing and then closes due to the following error:

Sat Jan 23 2021 10:23:41.151 - Closing pipe FlightSimulator (9788) because it was broken from the other end
Sat Jan 23 2021 10:23:41.151 - Process FlightSimulator (9788) disconnected (Thread(0x00000224B5DA3920/0x000)

Why on earth is MSFS trying to start VR despite wanting to fly pancake mode and not using CTRL-TAB ?

Will try to detach the HMD from the computer and see if MSFS still tries to start vrserver.exe

2 Likes

UPDATE !!!

Closed MSFS
Unplugged Index USB from computer
Started MSFS
Smooth pancake flying without long periodical stutter/pause !!!

Flightsimulator is no longer spawning the vrserver.exe process

Ok I still get ‘normal’ micro stutters as my settings are a bit agressive but these stutters are manageable !!

Hope this helps !

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

A couple of questions:

What is Index USB?
What is HMD?
Are you on Steam or MS Store version?
Do you have a VR headset attached?
Is “pancake flying” what you call Non-VR flying?

P.S. : I just searched my PC for vrserver.exe and found nothing. I am on MS Store version and have never enabled VR or plugged in a VR headset.

All my info related to VR, since you don’t have VR it does not apply to your situation

OK, thanks

Too Bad, I thought we found the problem for the people without VR.

Are your server settings set to automatic or a static server? Cheers.

mine is set static to East USA

I have the exact same issue, but would say the drop out of CoherentGTDraw is more every 30 seconds, it also happens when I try to turn the aircraft hard or bank left and right (possibly triggered by a large control input). Happens with all aircraft, in all weather and all environments.

I fly on medium settings.

Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon 5700xt
16Gb RAM

When i first got MSFS in November i don’t recall this happening, so wondering if it started post the 2nd update?

Tried a complete reinstall, new drivers, process lasso, made no difference.

1 Like

hi do you find solution for stutters in msfs20

This might interest you as this has massively reduced stuttering and increased fps in my sim.

Something strange that worked for me to greatly reduce stuttering is increasing the render scaling by one notch above your native resolution. FPS impact is negligible but for some reason it seems to greatly help. If anyone can replicate this it would be awesome.

My settings are all ultra with nothing changed and realtime traffic, weather and ATC.

5800X / 3080 / 32gigs of 3200 ram OCd to 3400

FPS between 40 and 55 usually and 30 to 35 at dense places like JFK and LAX.

From the devmode FPS counter, doing this appears to cause the GPU and CPU to work more in tandem (hope that’s the right way to say it). Just want to know if anyone else can replicate this. It’s a counterintuitive move, but has helped me. Of course the A32NX mod completely obliterates any improvements from anything else and we lose 15FPS and stutters become pronounced.

1 Like

Yes this works because you place more load on to the GPU, therefore reducing the load on the CPU, making the sim smoother. Works here too.

1 Like