Next Pilot Position action causes SIM to freeze (PC & Xbox)

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
#xbox
Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?MS Store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
In all aircraft if/when have enabled free look mode by clicking mid-mouse wheel, my screen and XboxX will freeze every time I use the hat switch on HOTAS to toggle a different cockpit (look left, look right, look up, look down) view the game freezes/locks and the only remedy is to reboot / restart series X.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
See Above

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:a
XboxX

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: post SU7

I too have this issue, in multiple aircraft.

1 Like

Same issue since the SU7 update.

Experienced it for the first time in the A32N. In cockpit view, pressing LB+Up on DPad leads to a sim freeze every time.

1 Like

Have you tried this? Seems to be related

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/xbox-sim-freeze-not-ctd-edit-cockpit-view-related-crash/472549/7?u=woodypikaboo

Thanks @WoodyPikaboo ! Using SeriesX plus hotas & usb mouse/keyboard. Seems like the conflicting binds of the hat switch for next pilot position & previous pilot position are by default also assigned to the pov look (direction) hat switch. By removing it’s not only freed up the pilots head but it’s a good fix to avoid the freeze.

Thanks much!

3 Likes

Can confirm I get this on PC too, with a HOTAS One. Will try workaround posted above.

The following posts were merged from another topic. The next staff post will indicate the end of the merged posts.

Thank you.

Are any Xbox pilots experiencing a freeze bug where the sim just acts like you have hit Active Pause, because the screen freezes and the sound plays but no input is recognized by the sim?

The only cure is to quit MSFS and restart it.

It’s happened twice for me this evening — once, shortly after takeoff during climb and again after landing and requesting taxi to parking.

1 Like

Incidentally, I’ve yet to be able to complete a flight as 2 of 2 attempts resulted in this freeze.

2 Likes

It just did it to me again. 3 in a row. And this after a full reboot of the Xbox, too.

I just radioed to inform of my taxi and it froze.

I’m concerned I’m not going to be able to fly with this version of the sim.

Not sure what to do.

Edit: it has crashed 5 times in a row for me. I have tried different aircraft, different airports and it keeps happening. At this stage the sim is entirely broken for me and cannot be used. I will try one last thing — removing my Thrustmaster Hotas and pedals and see if I can, at least, fly with the default Xbox controller setup.

Edit 2: disconnecting the Hotas and flying with the Xbox controller was successful. I’ve reconnected the Hotas and looking at its custom profile and seeing a number of assignments missing, I’m suspecting, maybe, the profile is corrupt and causing the freeze. Creating a new profile and testing.

Edit 3: yeah, something is def jacked about the Preset Manager for my Hotas One. If I select “default” it continues to show my custom profile mapping rather than the, uh, default as it would out-of-the-box. I dunno if this new “on key press/release” option has introduced this corruption/bug, but something is wrong here. Even after a quit and restart of the sim, it still shows “default” with my custom button mapping.

Edit 4: ok, I created a completely new Hotas profile and recreated the bug. It seems to be related to my using the POV “hat” to change views (I’ve got it set to change to next/previous pilot positions and next/previous instrument views whilst holding the trigger and to look around the cockpit as an 8-way whist not holding the trigger) while ATC is talking.

Edit 5: what blows the most here is this all worked flawlessly prior to SU7 and instead of flying I’ve spent my entire evening f’ing with this nonsense. What a total drag.

Edit 6: this isn’t even exclusive to Hotas. I can get the crash just using the default “LB + dpad-up” on the Xbox controller, which is the default hot key for “Next Pilot Position” under cockpit camera.

Edit 7: I’m exhausted by this. This bug is 100% reproducible and has halted me from flying the sim without spending some insane amount of time trying to corral this bug to determine precisely what is going on.

I can say this: it is absolutely related to the hot key functions “Next Pilot Position” & “Previous Pilot Position” as mapped both to the Xbox controller (default is LB + Dpad-up/down”) and to my Hotas (using the POV “hat”). What I cannot figure out is what precisely is triggering it. I can reset profiles and get it to work, but the next loading in ptomthe cockpit results in it returning.

Basically, I cannot understand how I am able to continually reproduce this (I’ve been at it since 12:00 today and it is now 20:20) and, yet, no one else has even commented on this thread.

1 Like

I had a similar issue earlier halfway through flight at cruising altitude on A320. Sim just froze on me, only fix was to restart. I also have Xbox Series X with Thrustmaster Hotas and Mouse + Keyboard. This type of freeze never happened to me in SU6 as far as I can recall.

1 Like

I’ve totally narrowed it down to the “Next Pilot Position” & “Precious Pilot Position” keybinds, but I cannot tell you precisely how to reproduce it.

After nearly 8 hours of troubleshooting/bug chasing (I’m tenacious and worked in QA), I just disabled the keybinds on my POV for now. It’s annoying without them, but I’m finally flying.

2 Likes

I even found that using the default Xbox controller keybinds (LB + Dpad up/down) along with having them unassigned on the Hotas will also result in the crash if you try to use them on the controller.

I can simply load into a cold dark cockpit, immediately press LB + dpad-up and it will crash.

I haven’t been able to replicate the issue when the Hotas is unplugged.

Edit: I’m trying to work the problem, so apologies for my edited posts and ramblings.

I just loaded the PC version and noted weird behavior with the default F9, F10 & F11 key views — IFR Cockpit, VFR Cockpit & Landing Cockpit views respectively. These views are what the console “Previous/Next Pilot Position” are cycling through. Pressing F10 (VFR) is supposed to toggle the VFR view, but instead acts like a momentary switch and momentarily shows the Landing view when held and pops back to VFR when let go of. F11 (Landing) seems to be wrongly assigned to VFR view, so I tried to use ctrl-F11 to save the Landing view to F11 that F10 momentarily shows. In so doing, I CTD!

There is something seriously wrong here with the views and this has to be somehow connected to what is going on with the Xbox version.

This bug is caused by activating the ‘next pilot position’ command from the DEFAULT cockpit view or in Freelook mode.

Fix: unmap ‘next pilot position’ from your peripheral and replace with ‘upper cockpit view’ or some other way of getting the view you want (ie custom views)

Note : this can effect PC users too (like me), perhaps if they also have a controller connected, although I was getting it on any peripheral and whenever I triggered npp command from default.

[edited to update the fact it might trigger when freelook + npp. Corrected some terminology]

7 Likes

Yes, I am on PC and it is definitely happening. That and the messed up freelook not working as before.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did extensive testing on this. It’s not related to the peripheral used - it’s simply the NPP action itself.

OP/Mods: I wonder if this thread could be re-titled to reflect the cause to help other users?

And it needs to be logged as a bug.

2 Likes

That and maybe the possibility to vote

1 Like

Oh i had the same issue and if your fix helps you will be my hero AlpineB4652!

Will test your fix soon! Thank you!

1 Like

NixonRedgrave! Maybe you could put this in “Bugs and issues” and make so people can vote!? Also maybe change the title as is but without the “Xbox” since it’s on both platforms :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

same happens in pc as well, sim becomes non-responding and you have to manually end the task in the task manager.

my understanding is that it might be LOD related, seems like reducing LOD settings a bit down helped, not thoroughly tested tho.