Freeware - EGHC Land's End/St Just upgrade

This is one of my favourite airports and the in sim version sure is ugly.

I’ve erased the aprons, upped the ground markings, tried to recreate the terminal and rammed as much detail in general as it could possibly take elsewhere.

At the moment this is a purely cosmetic mod and the airport’s actual functionality appears to have a fair bit lacking so I’ll get around to addressing that next.

St Marys on the Isles of Scilly has also been tickled up and down to go in partnership with this - EGHE - St Mary's Airport & Isles of Scilly Scenery UK - Upgrade for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

10 Likes

Looks nice so I just down loaded it. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for your Great Work !
My memory of a first flight in a Cadet Glider came to mind when i Downloaded your Airport. My School organised a Summer Trip to Cornwall way back in 1964. Our Head Teacher was an amazing Bloke.
His ATC Corps was well regarded as being the best in the South of England and although i was to young to be a member of the ATC he did take me for a flight in his Tiger Moth which was kept at Thruxton. We did some aerobatics and after the 2nd loop followed by a side slip and spin i peed my Pants, These were the Day’s of Heavy Duty ‘Fustian’ Shorts which were highly absorbent so no one noticed except little me.
This kind man arranged for us boy’s to get a Tow up in a Cadet. The Flight lasted about 5 mins which was enough time for the Pilot to point out Penzance and St Mich’s Mount. What i found a little worrying was the use of a Concrete Block under the Seat which was used to Trim the Glider. Thanks again for your Talented Efforts and also for bringing back a great Memory.

1 Like

Would you be good enough to do the same improvement with St Mary’s IoS please.

You have been anticipated. That’s pretty much already done with everything replaced including the correct runway gradients. I’ve commissioned someone to make a proper model of the terminal there so that bit might take some time.

1 Like

Job jobbed.

Great Work ! Thanks. I have a Soft Spot for for the Scillies. In 1973 i lived on the Campsite at Troytown St Agnes for 6 Months. My friend Oriel ( who owns Phoenix Glass Works) helped me put up my tent on April 2nd and it finally came down on September 29th. I worked for Reg Evans driving Tractors and Planting Bulbs. Also crewed on the Shah and took part in the Gig Races. Great Fun !

1 Like

To celebrate this mod’s imminent ■■■ kicking by Asobo I have added an absolutely amazing terminal. The truly weird thing is that it was simply lying around on a 3D modelling site waiting to be bought.

I am very thankful to whoever made it. I also think they’re a bit… weird to have done one of the best models I’ve ever seen of such an obscure subject.

5 Likes

I lived on the airfield at St Just in 1983. There was some concrete then but not much like there is on the model, now. British Airways had a radio relay in one of the old offices so we could hear the S61’s making their calls to Ops in Penzance and Radio 4 was on all day in the kitchen. A lot happened in that short summer. I heard a newsflash on the radio one day and ran down to the pilots to tell them what I heard and the phones started ringing from the newspapers asking for landing permission. The Scillies airlink and the stories of bravery and loss that day started to come out. Numerous twins landed (by Lands End’s standards) and I drove a journalist around the county until very late.

There were great times, too. The place was a magnet for well known names in restoration aviation too many to mention now but I stood next to a man at Duxford (we were trying to sell the Pup replica? with a Clerget engine- we were building a Hawker Fury too) and we both said how much we were enjoying the auction. Someone said to me, “You know you were talking to Kermit Weeks don’t you?”. I didn’t!

The views across to Scilly were amazing at sunset.

3 Likes

Great Job Maestro ! Flew out over St Agnes towards Bishop’s Rock. Couldn’t see the Light House at First and then there it was complete with Helipad. Well Done !
Fond memories of sleeping in my little Good Companion Tent come to mind.
I remember the first night when i put the Tent up Reg Evan’s and his wife told me that there was a Strong Gale coming in and offered to let me Sleep in their House. No Thank’s, Say’s i not Knowing what a Scillies Gale could be like. About 2 hours later i awoke and then spent most of the night Hanging on to the A poles of the Tent for Dear Life. Greta and Reg came to Check on me but by that time the Wind was less Hurricane Like. They made me Breakfast, Bless em.
Nights in Dense Fog were very Spooky. Imagine complete silence and the sound of the sea muffled by the Fog. Bishop sent up Maroons and every 20 minutes or so this Boom came across 6 miles of Foggy water. Tucked up in a Warm Sleeping Bag listening to this but oddly enough it didn’t keep me awake.

Thanks for the Memories.

1 Like

Very cool!

1 Like

This is great work! I work at Lands end airport… IF you wish to come down take some photos to improve it let me know we can get in touch!

2 Likes

Nice! Seems like Lands End is getting much love! Both by PinkPanteees excellent freeware mod and in the upcoming UK update where it will be one of handcrafted airports to be included!

1 Like

I would absolutely love to have a sniff around there for research/ nosey parker purposes but I’m now stuck in an unsexy tier since a day or two back. I was going to do a day trip to St Marys just before xmas but never quite got around to it.

I am extremely curious to see how the Asobo version turns out. Asobo are also doing Liverpool, Manchester Barton and repairing Shetland. All of which I’ve done already too. Maybe I’m an unwitting employee?

3 Likes

You have done a fantastic job! Really the only thing that is missing now are the RNAV approaches… IS there any way to add them in?
Re a visit for research if you drop me a direct message I can pass on some details and would be happy to help. Glad you enjoy our friendly little airport!

This is news to me… Who is building it? And do you know if the RNAV approaches will be included?

I haven’t touched any of the navigation stuff. If it doesn’t have it then Asobo didn’t put it in there. I’m useless with that type of thing so even if I did figure out how to add it it probably wouldn’t work.

Then again I did replace the runways but I don’t know if that’s linked to them. Navigation options are a separate option to delete so I assume they stayed.

Asobo are fancifying this as part of their UK update so I assume all of the functionality will be improved along with it.

They mentioned it in the latest Q&A. Not sure who is making it or what will be included but I would suspect RNAV approaches. Gaya has helped them quite a bit in the past though, so could be them.

1 Like

So does anyone know what happens if you have Lands End installed when the UK update arrives?

Will both exist in the same space at the same time? Or will one be the dominant Aplha Airport?

Ha !

I still camp on the Garrison in a Good Companions.

Awesome tents !

1 Like