[Freeware] San Diego Montgomery-Gibbs Exec (KMYF) - California

Montgomery-Gibbs Exec (KMYF)
San Diego, California, USA

This is my first airport upgrade for MSFS, 99%* done with the MSFS Scenery Editor and default library objects… KMYF is a public airport six miles north of downtown San Diego. The airport has three runways and lot of ramps and hangars. It’s one of the busiest airports in the U.S. for small aircraft and has a number of flying clubs, flight schools, plus business turboprops and jets based there. You also find San Diego Fire Department and the famous King Schools.

Features

• New taxiway names. C, A, H, G1, M, E are misplaced or non-existent in the stock MSFS version. They are updated in this scenery and are similar the official airport ground chart (for example via Airnav: AirNav: KMYF - Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport)
  • New taxiway signs : all signs have been reviewed and updated
  • A single windsock at the right place.

Extra bonus (it wasn’t the initial project)

• Missing buildings have been added according to the Bing Map photorealistic texture
  • The underlying apron object covering most of the airport Bing texture is resized and now reveals iconic locations: business area with FSDO and Marv’s Golden, Casa Machado, west side of airport (to be continued), Gibbs FBO and more to come if you enjoy this first step.

If you want a taste of Montgomery (KMYF) in real, you can check my Youtube channel with a lot of Farwest flying trip videos but also this great FAA Runway Safety episode.

The scenery is available for free at : San Diego Montgomery - Gibbs Exec Airport (KMYF) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

Comments are welcome!

** The initial .xml project file has been generated with ADE Build#12 for MSFS.*

4 Likes

Good job mate, I have share it on San Diego Montgomery-Gibbs Exec (KMYF) - California | Forum de Simulation Aérienne & Homecockpit

1 Like

Thank you! They were a french text version already on my blog that you could have copier/pasted :wink:

1 Like

Version 2.5 is out. With dozen of upgrades among all new Crown Air FBO, a lot of improvement around Gibbs FBO (and on the other of the street at Marv Golden pilot shop)… Enjoy at Flightsim.to • Montgomery - Gibbs Exec Airport (KMYF) taxiway fix and many more by Vincent BAZILLIO

1 Like

This airport is also the home for Honeycomb Aeronautical:

Honeycomb Aeronautical Ltd.
Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport
8799 Balboa Avenue, Suite 265
San Diego, CA 92123

It would be interesting if they were included in this scenery add-on.

Their office building has nothing noticeable. The CEO reacted on a post I made in my San Diego club FB page. He mentionned a wellknown fastfood chain he seems to practise at threshod 10L :wink: Close to Honeycomb offices, a wellknow restaurant and terrasse to look at the field is badly represented by the 3D photogrametry (94th Aero Squadron).

1 Like

Thumbs up on this content.

Airport life around Gibbs FBO.

Too bad we can not actually walk in and get a burrito at Casa Machado.

1 Like

I used to live and work near Montgomery in my pre-flying days. This add-on is great and brings back many memories. Thank you!

2 Likes

Version 2.6.7 has been released yesterday with a lot of changes : the end of Gibbs Flying Services FBO :frowning: replaced by Executive Air Part (by Crown Air) + thanks to some aerials the Coast Air FBO area has been redesigned in the scenery.

New version 2.8.0 with the outstanding control tower by BullFrogSim ! When a flightsim.to community member offers you his work for free!

And some other enhancement…

1 Like

New version of KMYF v2.9.0 adds the Apron Entry Point (AEP) to the field, + some more fixes. I have only pic for AEP 2 and guess for the 5 others.

• Fix erroneous taxiway signs (seems they disappeared from the previous version)
  • Add new 6 x AEP (APRON ENTRANCE/EXIT POINTS)
  • New cones on Crown Air / Transient apron
  • Add new sign SD Flight Training Intl
  • Add new sign Aircraft Maintenance & Avionics
  • New Visitor Parking Follow Blue Line

1 Like

Small fix uploaded today: Fix the helipad at San Diego Police Department Air Support Able Base (and Modellibs/MaterialLib path names)

1 Like

Any chance this ever comes out for Xbox? I’d pay for it. I don’t really know what challenges there are to porting it though.

1 Like

Hello @SimuGreg,
Whaouuu. Thank you for your support. Really appreciate. This fuel my dedication to the sim. Community.

Unfortunately, as it’s a 100% amateur work, it would required a total change of mindset and would required that I start a kind-of business. It’s not the plan at all, sorry. Not to mention that I think my scenary is not at payware level. It works for donation, but being forced to pay, even 1 dollars, doesn’t fit well. My KMYF scenery is a patchwork of stocked MSFS objects, a great custom made tower (not my production, offered to me by a modeler) and some basic 3D objects+texture.

But, there’s hope. If you mainly search for taxiway fixes, the Microsoft World Hub initiative that’s slowly should reach the Beta phase soon can bring aviation-wise enhancements to the console as well. The World Hub is not in production yet, but for sure, KMYF will benefit from this project. I’ll help or anyone from the Community.

Jorg Neuman, during the last Dev Q/A didn’t have time to address the freeware into Market Place question. This could be also a idea to monitor for my kind of scenery.

Anyway, I would love to help!

1 Like

A lot of updates in the 2.9.2

• Add (finally!) the updated taxiway G1
  • Add Wrong Way taxiway sign on Delta
  • Add new ground marking “H A” on taxiway Hotel
  • Add and fix runway markings on several holding points (raise an MSFS limit on runway marking white on red)
  • Fix wrong taxiway marking west side (non-movement area)
  • Fix a wrong 5-23 markings
  • Enhance east taxiway marking (green area)
  • Replace the weather antenna with a new one
  • Redesign all helipads with custom markings
  • Small update the helipad SDFD at the ATC tower

Version 2.9.3 just released

• Fix and enhanced taxiway signs on L, B, H
  • Update San Diego Fire Rescue Dpt Aviation Unit (north of the field)
  • (per request on flightsim.to) 1st improvement grass/bush between threshold 28L/28R
  • Several other minor fixes here and here

3 Likes

To match the real marking of runways, I had to redo the numbers and markings manually. For example, runway 28 aiming point and touchdown zone are only visible on runway 28R and not on 10L. This work made me enhanced and fix also some taxiways and the underlying texture of runways 28/10.

• Total manually rework 5/23 runway (bigger numbers and fix underlaying textures)
  • Total manually rework 10R/28L (bigger numbers and fix underlaying textures)
  • Total manually rework 10L/28R (bigger numbers and fix underlaying textures)
  • Fix a lot of taxiway lines to match reality and underlying satellite image
  • Add soil patches on run-up 28R and 28L

Enjoy for free: San Diego Montgomery - Gibbs Exec Airport (KMYF) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

4 Likes