Fresh install on an SSD made all the difference in world

jees what nonsense

ofcourse not,. you need to do something, rolls eyes.

Well that’s what I want to know, and sorry that I am not that expert like you guys, If you can show me I will appreciate it.

No, it will not find it.

If you want to use the D drive for FS2020,
create and name a folder on the D drive. I used “D:\FS2020”.

Go to Settings, Apps.
Scroll down to MS Flight Simulator.
Click “Move”.
Tell it where you want to move it to.

Note: This will not be a “fresh install”.
To do that, click “uninstall”.
Then go too MS Store and install it again.
This will be a “fresh” install.

Remember afterwards to manually delete the original
170 GB if you chooses a new location for FS2020.

“Uninstall” will not delete it.

I agree …YES, Moving to a SSD is a GREAT Move…
Moving to a NvMe Drive is even BETTER , Much Better.
‘’’
I moved to an SSD and was super happy but when I moved my OS and FS2020 to a NvMe drive…now that was super fast… very noticeable speed improvement from the SSD.

1 Like

There is no need to apologize! Some people are just not helpful, ignore them. You get all sorts! Not everyone knows everything. Im sure you have deep knowledge of subjects that we do not!

See this discussion:

1 Like

Thanks. The question is, can you leave MSFS on your C drive (as the default installation) but have only the Community folder in another drive?

MSFS is always on the C: (boot) drive.
You cannot change that.

My "InstalledPackagesPath “D:\FS2020"” per UserCFG.opt file.
This is the additional 170 GB of data.

Also, my Community folder is also on D:\FS2020.

I have one mod, WT CJ4.

Note the the “Installed Packages” is installed on the D: drive which includes the Community folder.

I don’t know if you can have just the Community Folder only on the D: drive.

@TemperedPaper48 I don’t know the direct answer to your question, but I know if you use an addons manager like this you can put your actual addons anywhere and use the manager to make them appear (as 0 size links, or shortcuts if you prefer) in your default Community folder. Now, if you put your addons file on a spinner (physical HDD), I’ll send my wife to go all boriqua on you (which is a fancy way of saying they should still be on an SSD), and should solve your issues. I think. Maybe.

LMK…

kKt

One excellent solution to this is Symbolic Links or you can go one better and just get the amazing free AddOn Linker mod manager which makes them for you/ This uses what are called Symbolic LInks which means you can have your Community addon folders anywhere. Even on a different drive.

Read about symlinks here:

Addon Linker

1 Like

Well said.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it! I just ordered the Samsung 2 Tb M2 SSD.

Really interesting thread. Just bought a ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB from from Amazon. Seems like a good price and gets good reviews. Not looking forward to the faff of copying over windows though. It never goes smoothly.

I highly recommend a factory fresh Windows install on your new SSD using the Windows Media Creation Tool. While yes its easy to clone and replicate your current Win install on the new drive Im of the belief that theres far far less chance of issues down the line with a fresh installation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Too complicated for me to start messing around… I wish there was a simple way to do it step by step.

Cheers for the advice. It did cross my mind that it might be a good idea to start over again from scratch.

1 Like

The steps in my Post #36 is about as simple as it can be.

but your instruction was to move the whole MSFS. I want ONLY the community folder to be in another drive.

You can’t do it.

He can.

You can do it via symbolic link (symlink)

2 Likes