Friendly Reminder regarding the update

Some folks here are new to the world of Mods for flightsim, and I’ve seen this go sideways at each update for the last year, so lets get it out there early…

SOME OF YOUR MODS WILL BREAK, and its ok.

Its not MSFS fault, and it isn’t the fault of your 3rd Party mod… It is just life.

A lot of the mods out there are from tiny shops (as small as one person), so please don’t lose your patience if you can’t fly your favorite thing on day one. Instead, maybe check out the new things in the default planes, etc if your mods are crashing.

I really hate to see the forum explosion, especially when some of the people are badmouthing small developers for things beyond their control. Or expecting MS/ASOBO to know how everyone elses code works.

Stay cool, its only the internet. Nobody dies if your 3rd party gizmo fails to spin for a day or two.

:wink:

83 Likes

Good call dude.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to move your Community folder as well…or rename it, before updating. Personally I copy it to another drive…then (hesitantly) re install/copy each addon separately , check to make sure it is kosher then continue with the next one. I tried reinstalling the whole Community folder in one hit, but that did lead to quite a few challenges.

I except payware to be compatible on Release date or shortly After, when theres a few week Long Beta before. If the Beta was to Short, its Microsoft fault.
This wouldnt be a Problem without the forced Updates.

Its Not Life, its Software Release Management.

4 Likes

This will be nothing compared when they go to DX12 ( and not Dx12 in DX11 compatibility mode like X Box).

It’s going to break everything that is third party is some way from minor to causing the sim to crash and I suspect that is why they are delaying the Dx 12 release.

2 Likes

Just leave it in the same location and change the name to whatever until the update is done right?

2 Likes

… and delete file named Content.xml
File path below

c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Also delete all files and folders from
c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages

4 Likes

Just that some of the add ons may not be compatible and cause challenges…so that’s why I re install one at a time.
If you re install them all at the same time you will have a problem trying to isolate the one that is causing you issues…

1 Like

If context.xml and all files and folders under packages are deleted does the sim recreate them?

Exactly mate.

A worthwhile reminder, but I’m sure we will still see plenty of anger and badmouthing in the coming days. One thing the internet does not have much of these days is patience. People expect everything to just work instantly, regardless of whether it’s paid or free, created by a team of 1000 or one person on their own. And when it doesn’t, or when it breaks, the reaction of choice is nearly always rage.

Sorry to bring negativity to the thread, but that’s just the way things are. With the relative anonymity and lack of consequence on the internet, an ever-increasing proportion of people tend to act like angry children instead of mature adults.

4 Likes

Why this negative post in what is a helpful topic?
And its definitely Life. There must be thousands of different configurations out there so somewhere
something will stop functioning as expected. Might even be your payware. relax and have some patience please. be nice.

1 Like

Maybe we should all agree not to respond to the ‘rage’ and ‘badmouthing’ posts when they come after the update. Best to ignore them I think.
And who knows, it will probably all go peachy and swimmingly.

1 Like

When will update for PC version go live on US East coast?

1500 Zulu, worldwide release

1 Like

Just wanna say that i never moved my community folder which holds 80giga of content,and never had any problem.
I do however have the Addon Linker which is a life saver on it’s own

The only thinh i always do is to delete my rolling cache

The final countdown https://www.tickcounter.com/countdown/2658706/msfs-su5-update

1 Like

Is there an official list of Microsoft instructions ( not from Forum members) on this web site listing all actions to be taken before commencing the update?

Can you be specific. What time will it be in UK?

You must be new to flight simming: ZULU time is the same worldwide :wink:

Wiki quote:

“The time zone using UTC is sometimes denoted UTC±00:00 or by the letter Z—a reference to the equivalent nautical time zone (GMT), which has been denoted by a Z since about 1950. Time zones were identified by successive letters of the alphabet and the Greenwich time zone was marked by a Z as it was the point of origin. The letter also refers to the “zone description” of zero hours, which has been used since 1920 (see time zone history). Since the NATO phonetic alphabet word for Z is “Zulu”, UTC is sometimes known as “Zulu time”.”