FS installation borked, can't re-install due to 0x80070424 error (now fixed!)

Well, after two weeks of trying everything except a bare-metal re-install of Windows, I still had no luck figuring out what was wrong. Today there was a Microsoft Windows cumulative update, so I applied that and it didn’t make any difference. But there was a “Gaming Services” update in Windows Store, and THAT fixed it!

Which makes some sense as the 0x80070424 error comes from trying to talk to some service that isn’t installed or working.

So, if you see the infamous 0x80070424, you may want to try removing and re-installing the “Gaming Services” package through the store.

Same issue here -.-

one 0x803FB107 Error from the Flightsimulator
rest are all 0x80070005

I did all the suggestions above.
No chance…
3 days for now with googling all over the world.
tried several tips, nothing helped -.-

i think that there could be something wrong with my user rights / privileges from the WindowsApps and the %AppData%Package folder

May someone please can tell me, how they have to look like?
Thanks
Cheers^^

Did you log out and then back in to X-box?

u mean the XBox App, or my XBox One?

…just did an full 20H2 inplace repair.

No chance -.- same ■■■■

Yes, X-box app, sign back in when prompted by the sim.

That’s not quite the same issue I had. The 0x803FB107 just says (I think) that the bundle could not be installed but does not tell you anything about the reason why. The error on the bundle components tells you the “why”. In this case the 0x80070005 is “Access Denied” so I suspect you’re right that it’s some sort of permissions thing.

Do you have multiple users on your system? Are you doing the install from an administrator capable account? One of the annoying things about The Store (apart from it being the delivery mechanism for XBOX stuff) is that it’s completely opaque and you have very little ability to affect its behavior.

Have you tried creating a new user account just for FS and installing while logged in as that user?

1 Like

…impossible, cause its uninstalled -.-
i tried also with the self-downloaded XboxInstaller.exe
no chance, installation with the .exe fails with an 0x80070005 error, or it event dont start the installation process

i did the installation successfully with an other admin account!
BUT:
this other account is completely useless for me, cause on this other user interface arent all my other apps and 3rd party apps installed…
so the complete mfs IS installed in my system, BUT on an different account.
physically available, but not usable with my main ADMIN account

So the X-box installer won’t run?
If that’s the case, did you try deleting all x-box from the Apps and Features menu first?

it runs fine. then it tries to install, but it never ends!

i had it also to give me the 0x80070005 error after its installation

Try this:

• Open Settings (the gear in the start menu)
  • Open Accounts
  • Click Sign-in Options
  • Scroll down to Privacy
  • Uncheck “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update and restart.”
  • Restart your device

See if that helps.

…tried that already -.-

You are three steps ahead of me!
Did you try deleting the Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache folder?

sure.many times

…finally…
i made it^^
solution
those 3 little commands are the ruler 4 me^^

start powershell as administrator, then insert →

Get-AppxPackage windowsstore | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppxPackage xboxapp | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

3 Likes

I just solved the error 0x80070424 that I was having. I tried lot of things, speak to Microsoft, follow suggestions from zendesk…
I found the solution at the bottom of this Web page: Xbox App /Game Pass - Troubleshoot game installations on a Windows 10 device – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

It says:
Try reinstalling the Gaming Services app on your Windows 10 device:

1. Right-click the Start button  in the lower-left corner of the main screen, and then select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
  2. In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:

3.get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers*

1. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

5.start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN*

1. Install the app on that page, and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
  2. Restart your device, and try to install the game again.

Hope that help.

4 Likes

Thanks. That concurs with what I found with my issue, that the 0x80070424 status specifically means that the store app is unable to talk to the Gaming Services and that’s where one should focus their efforts in trying to fix it.

P.S. I’ll mark you as a solution since that’s probably as good a start as any for people encountering this issue, though I would first make sure that the store does not think it needs to / is in the process of installing a Gaming Services update. If it is, you might have to reboot more than once before it gets unstuck and properly installs the latest changes to Gaming Service.

but there is no need in * symbols in the commands endline

Just wanted to chime in here hoping an easier fix comes by - Installed the game and the next day it vanished off my SSD hard drive . Getting the same Code: 0x80070424 trying to reinstall from the store .

Got it … Thank you Managite

Please give this man a medal, a ceremony, a statue and 1 internet.

Holy ■■■■, this worked for me after reinstalling Windows twice, 4 days of troubleshooting, reading tons websites and almost made me want to buy MSFS through Steam.

You, sir, are my legend.

Do you have installed VPN?