FS won't start. Gaming services update ruined it

Flying OK yesterday. Noticed gaming services updated this morning now fs goes straight to gaming services. Tried everything I read. Cannot start FS. Help?! Reset store. Tried to uninstall gaming services using app and cmd no luck. Go to Xbox app and see I own fs premium deluxe but digital ownership won’t install. Did a sfc /scannow- found and repaired errors. Reboot, sign out and in… All not working.
Can’t get past this never ending loop of frustration.

PC win 10 pro 20H2? (latest one maybe 21H2?).
i910900k Nvidia RTX2080ti 32Gb ddr4 Asus Z490k

All OK yesterday-only thing that changed is latest gaming services. Weird

First up I have windows 11, but I don’t think that will matter much in this case.
I just checked my gaming services and the last update for me was 18 November. I checked if there was an update and there wasn’t, for me.

However, I have had difficulties with gaming services in the past interfering with MSFS, when I was a member of the preview for Windows Gaming available in insider hub

Can I ask if you are part of this preview programme? If so, then maybe try removing yourself from that preview in Insider Hub and see if that makes a difference? (If I remember correctly, opting out of that preview should restore your gaming services to the latest stable release, rather than the trial versions that comes with being part of this insider preview.)

If it helps, this is the version of gaming services I have:

Oh my goodness. Yes I was and still have “insider hub” legacy" showing. How do I get out of that?

I do know for certain that gaming services was updated “minutes ago” this morning. Cannot ascertain its build though because it’s an empty white box!

I’m going to try again tomorrow as it’s time to be with family. I spent all day on this.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Every time i try to launch the game it opens MS Store with Gaming Services page. I have read various topics and tried most of the fixes included in these topics but nothing fixed it, of course i tried reinstalling gaming services(did not work) and i tried updating MSFS from the microsoft store but there is no update available.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
OS build 19044.1387

Had this problem a week or so ago. After much messing about, as above, I went to the Apps Manager in Windows, scrolled down to Gaming Services and used the “Reset” option. Rebooted and all fine again.

1 Like

I tried that too and It didn’t fix the problem, does anyone have other ideas?

1 Like

Only signing out of all your accounts (Store,Xbox,MS) a full system restart and then signing back in again. Look in both Xbox and Store for any updates… If you are lucky there might be something because even a reinstall might not fix your alpha file problem. (actually once MSFS is uninstalled scannow might find and delete it)

Store Version
Premium Deluxe
Not using Developer. I never use it
Details of what happens: Try to launch FS and always going to gaming services which looks defunct (see screen) There is no logo or build info. Tried to uninstall without luck. Gaming services announced it was updated yesterday morning “modified minutes ago” Nobody else seems to have recently gotten a new gaming service - and it’s gotten such lousy reviews.
I’m wondering if, somehow, the wrong gaming service is installed or is totally corrupt. Why can’t I uninstall it either through app manager or using command prompt - power shell as admin.

Maybe time to upgrade to win 11, get licence info, then do a clean, fresh install of both OS and FS rather than go through this rubbish ad infinitum. I have a brave new 2Tb SSD sitting here because FS on D drive has only 49Gb of space left. Lots of ORBX airports and Marketplace add-ons too. Not sure if I should clone FS to the new SSD to have a backup. I kind of doubt this is an FS issue. It looks more like an OS related issue. Others suggest using media creation tool first. What have I got to lose trying that 1st?

Screens of what I get when tryng to start FS2020
And OS info. Many thanks in advance

Win10_Build

Tried that without luck. Thanks for chiming in.

Does microsoft even know about this? they need to fix it.

Well, I signed out of store, xbox etc… Rebooted then started FS and it’s working. Miracle of miracles? I think after I manually uninstalled gaming services using powershell as admin, it never completed re-installing, hence the empty white box per screenshot above. Today I simply used cmd to reset the store, signed out, rebooted and watched gaming services, visual C+++ and Direct X update. When done, I started FS and it’s working as though nothing were wrong with it.

Oh well. I’m confused but relieved at the same time. At least I can now fly.

Thanks all for your time and effort.
Cheers

1 Like

I submitted a zendesk ticket. They didn’t reply so I might get in touch with them again and tell them that the problem is sorted. It’s very strange regardless. I’m thinking that I had a corrupt gaming services but it sorted itself out after I purged it out and let it update again. The sim is running beautifully. No need to mess with it.

2 weeks ago I submitted a ticket on micorosft support they told me to update windows via media creator tool, it didn’t help and then they said that i’m going to have to reinstall windows but i didn’t want to do that and after all this time the problem is not gone. I’m going to reinstall msfs and see if maybe that helps.

Go to your windows settings , go to the tab> Settings > Apps & Features > Search for “Gaming Services” > Advanced Options > Repair then try again.