FS2020 ultra and vr

Good morning all,

I am thinking of buying this configuration:

MSI mag z490 tomahawk
Intel Core i9 10900k
32 GB RAM
Evga GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Trading
HTC Vive Pro

I would like to run fs2020 at the maximum settings in vr with 60 fps.

So I would like to know if this configuration can run fs2020 in vr with ultra and 60 FPS.
If not, what configuration should be done and what should be changed?

so sorry for my bad english :frowning:

Thank you

ā€œI would like to run fs2020 at the maximum settings in vr with 60 fpsā€ - Simple answer is that as it currently stands you wonā€™tā€¦

1 Like

Forget 60fps.
No hardware is capable of giving you that in this sim.
Smooth, no nausea, even if its just 18 fps, low jitteriness and image sharpness is what you want in FS2020 VR and your proposed setup should be able to give you that.
Anything more is a bonus.

2 Likes

Since you are going to buy a new system, get the ā€œASUS Strix RTX 3090 OCā€. They are selling for about the same price as all the other RTX (if you can find one) but the ASUS is a monster right out of the box. Google the Benchmarks comparing the ASUS with the others. I have it and there is absolutely no need to OC, it is overclocked out of the box.

1 Like

Thank you all.

I will forget ultra in vr and 60 FPS but I still want to play in vr with high FPS and high settings.

Should we forget the idea or take a more powerful configuration?

Thank you.

You will actually get very close to that performance with a couple of changes to settings. I get around 40-50 fps with this setup. Your system should perform similar or better than mine if you choose to build it.

1 Like

There really is no more powerful setup currently availableā€¦ thatā€™s part of the issue. You could add a second 3090 and get zero extra performance because the game doesnā€™t support SLI. You could get a 32 core threadripper and not get any more performance because this game is ultimately limited by single core performance.

A Zen3 cpu such as 5800X will slightly outperform the intel option you chose, but not by anything ultimately meaningful.

With the relatively lower resolution of the Vive Pro and a 3090 you should fairly easily be able to get 40fps in most areas with most settings on high, some ultra. Lowering resolution on my G2 and 3090 plus 5800X I end up hitting CPU bottlenecks around 45-50fps (even lower in some areas).

We are still very early days in VR with MSFS, performance is likely to improve over time.

They are already converting the SIM to DX 12 which will allow the SIM to use every core on your CPU.
Very few games now support SLI. My MB has a dual PCI X 16 Slots, but after installing the 3090 the second slot is almost gone. If I add a second 3090, it would cover the fans of the first card completely. Some tech gurus have said that SLI is gone, mainly because of the lack of support by the gaming industry and because of the current size and power requirements on the new cards (and the $$$$ involved)

Remember that we are still using the first cut of VR in the sim. Most of us are impressed with how it performs, even on mid ranged systems. Asobo stated they want VR to even be played on lower end systems. They have more plans for performance improvement and we have this to look forward to in the neat future.

1 Like

Yeah SLI is dead, has been for a while really but that is my point - there is no worthwhile ā€œupgradeā€ from what heā€™s specced, regardless how much money you are willing to throw at it.

DX12 doesnā€™t magically use more cores, thats a common misconception. Port the engine over to DX12 without doing anything else and it isnā€™t an automatic performance win and all of a sudden your game can effectively utilise as many cores as you can throw at it. Equally there is nothing inherent about DX11 that prevents efficient use of multiple cores - case in point star citizen is still DX11 (Vulcan work is ongoing) but has by far the most efficient use of up to 32 cores I have seen in any video game due to the way jobs are dispatched across threads.

Also MSFS does already use multiple cores, the problem is that it bottlenecks on the mainthread so even if you add more cores it doesnā€™t matter, that mainthread is the one dictating your max CPU frame rate. They could effectively dispatch to more cores than they do now, but without improving the mainthread bottleneck it would have zero impact on frame rates. The good news is they apparently continue to methodically try to move things off the mainthread as time goes on (it is difficult work to ensure everything remains threadsafe) so things will improve as time goes on.

There are definitely improvements to multi threading DX12 can bring, not least in how it handles draw calls, but the really interesting stuff for DX12 is really more on the GPU side.

The last dev video mentioned some significant performance wins (such as 4x speed up on trees) during ongoing work in optimising for Xbox and DX12 so it is encouraging that there will be ongoing improvements. Iā€™m sure as a first party their implementation of DX12 will be excellent.

4 Likes

Buy a real plane.

2 Likes

Lol what. I have an overclocked 8700k and a 3080 and even I can get 40-50 fps in he G2 with reasonable res and settings. His machine could definitely do more

8700k is not much slower in single core than 10900k (varies per game but typically you could hope for around 10%), the extra cores of the 10900k will currently be of no use in this game as compared to your 8700k (nor honestly in most games), and you are also overclocked which likely actually makes your 8700k equal or even superior to the 10900k stock in single core performance.

3090 is a little faster than the 3080, but again not by a huge amountā€¦ at most 10-15% but that doesnā€™t really matter here other than being able to run a bit more resolution than with the 3080 as you still hit the CPU limitations before you can comfortably punch through the 45-50fps mark.

For reference I have a 5800x (slightly faster than 10900k in single core) and an overclocked 3090 and canā€™t get more than 45-50fps in VRā€¦ it can also be lower depending on aircraft/location. So from personal experience, no he wonā€™t get much more than what you are getting in terms of fps but he will be able to run with slightly better resolution or settings. Also just to note that ā€œreasonableā€ res and settings is a rather nebulous term and highly subjective, but regardless at around 45-50fps the resolution and various graphical settings start to become less relevant and all that matters is the inability of the mainthread to run lower frame times.

Performance in this game also varies wildly between flying a light piston aircraft with traditional instruments vs a commercial jet with displays all over the cockpit. It will also vary significantly from a sparse rural area to a busy urban scene, or with various types of weatherā€¦ so while one person says ā€œI get 50fpsā€ he might be flying a cessna VFR in the middle of nowhere in brilliant sunshine while another person talking framerates is flying a commercial jet into JFK on a stormy night.

Again, we can hope to see future improvements to such limitations and it is likely that a setup such as mine or his proposed one will start to extend the currently minimal performance lead over a setup such as yours, but we can currently only discuss reliably what we have nowā€¦ not what might be at some unknown point in the future.

4 Likes

sure, all good points, I thought the 10900k had decently better singe core perf than the 8700 though. Maybe not.

Unfortunately (or rather fortunately for you, since your CPU is still a relative beast even a couple of years later) intel has been incredibly poor at meaningfully improving CPU performance over the last 4 - 5 years or so, in no small part due to their inability to physically realise high performance desktop parts on their 10nm node and therefore having to remain stubbornly on various revisions of their now very mature 14nm tech.

It is this lack of progress that allowed AMD to catch and finally exceed them - you could say that AMD have done very well (and indeed they have made massive strides compared to where they were pre Zen) but their current success is arguably every bit as much down to intelā€™s utter inability to successfully execute on 10nm as it is down to their own design successes and TSMCā€™s node superiorities.

Rocket lake is unlikely to dramatically reverse things, alder lake (potentially later this year) is more likely when weā€™ll see real improvements from a new Intel architecture and your 8700k may finally start to look a little dated.

I do indeed hope that the near future will be the NEAT future! Sorry! I couldnā€™t resist! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry, fat fingers.

Skip the Vive pro and get the Valve Index. I had the Vive Pro, and it could not attain 100 resolution without effects on my PC I9 2080TI.

I boxed up my Vive pro, and it lives in the closet now. The Index is so much nicer lot less screen door effect, almost non existent. The Blacks are not as black, but the god rays donā€™t seem as prevalent either. The Field of view is a bit larger as well, and runs pretty well on my system, but I canā€™t get near high on most stuff and keep the thing looking smooth, especially in Glass Cockpits.

But if you can lower your settings and realize there are no computers really doing this maxed out you can still have fun.

For some reason VR headsets can not attain the look of the flat panel screens and need mass CPU and GPU to even get what they get.

10850K@5Ghz + 6800XT@2.65Ghz with G2 = 40+ fps in most situation with mostly ultra (except for volumetric cloud - AO). This is with OXR at 80% and in-sim render scale at 100. I stop chasing fps a while ago. 35-40 fps with little stutter is about as good as it gets for this generation of HW. RTX4090 or 7800XT might get us to 60 or even 90, but 40fps is absolutely stunning in headsets such as G2. Try to keep the frames consistent, and you will have a really good experience. 2D monitors are sharper in resolution, but I can no longer fly in 2D.

1 Like

Thankā€™s very muche for theses replies !!

What do you recommend as a mask?

Vive pro, index, occulus ??? Iā€™m lostā€¦