FSDreamTeam GSX for MSFS

Has potential to be good.

All addons impact performance to some degree, from negligeable to severe.

1 Like

I’ve picked it up. I have enough planes haha. More immersion is needed now. So we’ll see what’s what, with the product being out for what, a year now?

I’ve only been using it for a few weeks. I like what it can add to the sim. When it works properly it’s fantastic, very much adds to the realism and overall experience. Seeing passengers walking down the jetway while calculating performance numbers in the EFB just makes it feel alive.

When the pushback works it’s fantastic, no more manual reversing without being able to see where you’re going, it’s all handled properly by the ground crew like it should be.

Unfortunately it’s not always like that. It’s the most inconsistent product I own. Often it doesn’t work first time or does weird things. You have to spend a lot of time searching for GSX profiles on flightsim.to or forums so it behaves itself properly, otherwise it will probably do something stupid such as pushback into a building causing the plane to crash.

Then you find some of the profiles are not very good, gates are mismatched etc and you end up spending even more time trying to fix the profiles so it works.

Sometimes it crashes on you but not in a predictable kind of way that you can usefully report as a reproducible bug.

All in I reckon I’ve spent much longer messing around trying to make this software work correctly than I’ve spent using it and I find that really frustrating.

What it really needs is a centralised managed repository for GSX profiles which could be curated by the community and then automatically downloaded as needed. This could save dozens of hours for every user which is surely many man years of time.

Personally I’m really spilt on this product. Some of the time I’m loving using it and a lot of times I regret buying it, as then I’d spend more time actually flying rather than messing around with software and configurations.

4 Likes

spot on except for the part about gsx profiles, i never use them ,they are a pain and often dont work, i use the setting “Su12 navdata api” instead, for the limited amount i use it it seems to work (im not fussed about operators being at right gates).

1 Like

Cheers for the insight dude. I agree that a central repository for profiles would be good, and maybe it could be prudent for airport developers to include a profile with their product (although I accept that’s unrealistic).

That setting is now the default and can’t be changed, so I’ve not tried it any other way. But my experiences at airports without profiles have been poor. It’s not about operators at gates, but about correct pushback and correct passenger behaviour (eg. The right jetway, bus or walking and taking the right route, not floating, etc.).

I agree entirely.

GSX profiles are scattered over the Internet

The quality of available GSX profiles is indeed a big issue. Anyone can create a profile and upload it to flightsim.to and other places, but many are amateurish attempts and even some official profiles provided by developers can be lacking.

Some airfields have profiles from multiple contributors and you need to compare star ratings, feedback comments, and how recently each one was updated to make any kind of informed decision about which one to use.

Of course you can make your own and be in total control, but who has time to edit every parking spot for every airport they use. So downloading ready made profiles becomes somewhat of a necessity.

A centralised and curated source for GSX profiles would be a blessing.

6 Likes

As long as they put the effort into updating and refining it, I’m okay with teething issues etc.

Some do, some don’t.

I think it’s just a case of, like was said, doing research. Looking at reviews of profiles etc, before using.

For sure, it can all be done if you spend enough time on it.

Do you have copious or limited free time? Would you rather be flying instead of scouring websites, editing configs, restarting the sim, etc.

Only the user can decide which balance is best for them.

1 Like

Indeed, I don’t mind a bit of research, trial and error etc but yes really I just want to fly, same as most of us.

The whole point of that setting was so you didn’t have to use profiles this was to get round the fact you cant read the bgl file for market place airports. if that setting is default do profiles even do anything?
the issue with floating passengers on jetways is usually down to not disabling custom jetways for third party airports .
i never use profiles and haven’t had any of the issues you describe the only thing i get issues with is the stupid script failing to start occasionally after a long flight or recently right at the beginning.

i do wish we could edit passenger numbers for boarding and deboarding this to me apart from script errors is the biggest let down

I’ve tested it a bit, and when it works, it’s very, very good. I will obviously test it with custom profiles etc but I’ve tested at a couple of airports (Munich, Hamburg) and it was good. Didn’t work at one of FSDT’s own airports, bizarrely (LFSB) but apart from that, definitely promising.

1 Like

One of the reasons I use imported GSX profiles is that by default pushback tugs at airports are annoyingly located on the left of the parking stands and are therefore often in collision with the jetway. The best GSX profiles move them all to the right and place them so that they are not in collision with other vehicles and ground service equipment.

1 Like

The new SU12 API was to allow GSX to properly interact with the jetway. Profiles still do everything else they always did, which is many customisations for pushback, passenger routing, ground equipment, VDGS and more. I’m sure there’s a list in the manual.

Yes, profiles are useful but not a must.
GSX has been frequently updated since it was released for MSFS, and I would say that it now works 90% flawless out of the box.
I love profiles for the VDGS, and for the walk-in boarding / deboarding (in airports which use it). For the rest, they do improve the experience, but they are just the cherry on the pie.
In its current embodiment, GSX is an amazing tool for PAX boarding / deboarding, baggage loading / unloading, fueling, pushback, “follow me car”. etc. No big fps hit (as far as I have experienced) and pretty good visuals. Doesn’t get much better than that…

1 Like

In case there are any doubts:

" We would like to thank Microsoft and Asobo for listening to all our suggestions about this new API, which has been added exactly like we asked, and makes GSX working with jetways so much better.

Changelog:

• GSX MAJOR UPDATE: Support for the Sim Update 12 Navdata API, which allows proper Jetway recognition and handling in a more streamlined way, to solve all issues previously caused by the inability to detect jetways reliably, like invisible Passengers, Passengers walking on air, or Jetways retracting unpredictably."

" * GSX Pro CHANGE: Usage of the SU12 Navdata is Enabled by default and it’s always active, since there aren’t any side-effects that could require going back to the legacy “Airport Cache” method, due to all the improvements in the SU12 SDK."

Full text here: SU12 and GSX Pro - Major update - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

1 Like

What? Every airport I visit requires adjusting GSX default settings. Vehicles clashed with scenery, passengers come in a bus when plane is parked next to terminal, pushback path is wrong and tug pushes my plane to a grass. There is very little in this program that works out of the box.

1 Like

Yeah same here, I started without the profiles and then realised that just wasn’t working for me. It is much better if you can get a good profile but the time investment in finding, testing, and sometimes tweaking, is not something I was really prepared for.

I really don’t know why the product doesn’t at least come with profiles for the Asobo modelled airports, since nearly everyone has those it would at least be a starting point.