FSIMSTUDIOS CYVR Performance Issue

Hate to revive this topic, but be aware that it seems like this scenery has some conflict with WU11 Canada.
After installing the WU, my fps dropped from 40fps to stable 12-14fps while parked at the gate. As soon as I move the drone cam a bit away from the airport, things get smooth again.

Not sure what’s going on but it happened to a few others as well today. I contacted FSimStudios to see if they can sort this out.

EDIT: FSS replied saying that most likely it’s a lack of VRAM to have the new Photogrammetry and the airport loaded. But disabling PG didn’t bring up the fps much for me, just up to 18fps. Need to test further but I hope they can find a better balance since it is by far the worst performance I currently have in the sim.
The PG itself is no issue, I get my 40fps when flying into downtown with PG active.

1 Like

Good to hear your case, Copper. I’ll be trying WU11 and really, beyond a few minutes here and there SU 10 for the first time this weekend.

SU 10 seems to have given me some rudder and toe brake issues! So I need to sort that out for sure.

It’s pretty classic for add ons needing small to profound updates when the country they are in receives a WU. So this isn’t shocking to me.

I will say, in my little time experimenting with SU 10 on DX11 and DX12 I have found really improved performance overall, but at certain settings in certain places with certain add ons, I would exceed my video card’s memory and performance plummeted. So, maybe try turning down texture resolution in the settings?

I’m using a 8GB 3060 Ti right now, not my normal 10GB 3080, so I’m feeling a little pinched! Think I may have to jump for a 24GB 4090! The 3080 is a beast and I bet it will be amazing with SU10, but I’m ready to drop the hammer on my MSFS FPS struggles.

I’ll report back!

PS/BTW? How does Vancouver look with SU10/WU11??!

What kind of system specs do you have? I have the same issue as you. Before WU11 performance at Fsim cyvr was pretty good. Even with the Fenix. I have a RTX 3070.

Grt M

1 Like

I’m on a 2080 with 8GB VRAM.
After some emails with FSimStudios the only solution was:

• Turn Photogrammetry off
    or
  • Turn down Terrain Levell of Detail

When doing that, you need to load new into the flight since otherwise MSFS does not immediately free up stuff and you don’t immediately see the impact. Hence I was first sure that it wasn’t PG causing the issues.

Unfortunately MS added a huge area of PG in Vancouver area, for no real reason since most of the surrounding area doesn’t benefit from PG and would as well have been autogen with no loss. But with all that PG area you have the choice to disable PG (and lose the skyline) or reduce the LOD.

But they said they will release soon a patch for the issues with the ships in vancouver bay/harbor and other smaller issues. I just think the scenery is heavy anyway and the additional PG detail just was too much for 8GB VRAM cards.

SU10 is not good! I’m sorry, it’s overhyped and I think overall MSFS runs worse; especially with third party scenery. I used to get 38-45pfs with the sim and with third party scenery. Since SU10 and the latest Nvidia joke of an update to 517.48, the sim has NEVER run worse! DLSS, Makes ZERO improvement. DX12, gets worse over time. What is going on MSFS/Asobo? You are going backwards!!

I have a 3070 TI, 32GB of fast RAM, AMD Ryzen 5800x, 26fps? It seems like MS/Asobo is falling into the marketing hype of Nvidia trying to get people to buy their 4xxx series card for great improvements in performance. Meanwhile, those of us that purchased the 3xxxx cards for around $1K under a year ago get screwed! Yeah, nice. Maybe XP12 will make a come back.

DO NOT buy third party scenery at this point until MSFS/Asobo fixes this. I now cannot get over 30fps since SU10 update. This update I was so hopeful for and it turns out to be, imo, the worst update in regards to performance since MSFS came out. Also, I don’t know what they are doing, but my CPU never gets above 30% utilization (and the developer mode shows I’m limited by CPU) and the GPU is hanging around 50-55%. ■■■ Asobo?

Sorry to hear it hasn’t worked out well for you. But based on comments in the forums it actually seems the opposite for most people including me. Even performance with DX11 and TAA improved for me.

1 Like

Same here, generally performance got better with the same settings.
It’s just Vancouver where I seem to got over the VRAM limits with my previous settings, that’s it.

I was getting 45fps around Vancouver with an empty Community folder, dropped to like 15-20 when I put in most of my (many, many) add ons back in. I had pretty high settings, so I had to drop things considerably to get mid 20s at CYVR. I do have just about every BC and Washington state airport and add on that’s for sale, so maybe I should test with just CYVR installed? It still looked great with the lower settings, I have to say. I’m on a Xeon w-2150b, 3060Ti right now. I’m not at home in Vancouver, my main machine at home is a 5900x and 3080. SU10 has been amazing in general to get great performance with my lower spec temporary hardware I have now. I flew out of Wellington NZ with the airport add on, the Orbx NZ mesh and got much better fps than flying around vancouver. Granted Wellingon has no PG.

Yeah, seems they added very nice PG for a ton of suburbs, including around the airport and it’s fine without add ons, but the airport add on seems to push things up too much for most hardware. Sadly the downtown peninsula still has major problems, They couldn’t model Science World and the stadiums by hand or at least clean up the PG better? The boats in the marinas look horrible. The seaplane base in Coal Harbor is still horrible polygons under water. I swear the PG of my apartment building in Gastown looks a good bit worse. Ludicrously large trees around the convention center. Really Asobo??!!! This is what Vancouver gets from the World Update I’ve been waiting for for 2 years??!! Seems the DEM and photo/satellite textures in the middle of nowhere around Canada are much improved, so great for bush flying. But the downtown peninsula now looks horrible compared to the new PG in the suburbs. Suburban PG that performs horribly with complex add ons. And the default CYVR is still very simple and plain. Maybe I’ll try the FS Dream Team CYVR again since it was a good bit lighter than the much nicer FSimStudios CYVR, but then I’ll lose the nicely modeled seaplane bases.

I hope other major cities in Canada got better updates with this world update than Vancouver has!!! Great to have the new bridges, the Lions Gate is fantastic, very detailed, but there’s still major bridges into downtown that are horrible PG. At least clean up the PG downtown if you can’t get better PG sources!!! Is it just me or does anyone thing the tall buildings on the downtown peninsula look considerably worse? I haven’t been simming much the past six months, so maybe my memory is unclear. But swear my own building used to look pretty good, quite rectilinear, no major out of place polygons, now it’s a jumble and the roof is mess of bad polygons.

I wonder if the FSDT version runs better? I have owned this one for quite a while and the performance has always been terrible. I am running a new GPU and the performance is still bad. VRAM usage is around 13.4gb out of 16gb. I think it has to do with the world update photogrammetry!

I use the FSDT CYVR and for me, it has never been a problem. I cannot say that about other airports I’ve purchased.

I was getting the same performance problem with Flytampa CYYZ. It turns out it was indeed the photogrammetry. I just removed it instead of deleting the entire world update.