Fuel! Or the lack of it!

What’s going on with the fuel? Three flights now, both with excess amounts of fuel, have begun running out halfway through the trip. The first time i thought, OK a bug, the second time, I raised an eyebrow, now the third time tells me this is a serious issue. The planes involved are the Cessna Citation and the Diamond DA62. Nothing is stressing the engines, there is no strong headwind, I’m not speeding or taking detours. I have to stress this never happened pre-patch.

Yeah, I’ve had the same issues. There’s definitely a problem with fuel consumption rates. Others have pointed out on here where you can tweak it in the config files (those that aren’t encrypted anyway).

2 Likes

There are quite a few threads on this already - but basically, it’s poor calibration from Asobo that can be fixed by modifying the game files. If you use the search function, you’ll probably find some step-by-step info for at least the Citation.

1 Like

Regarding the DA62, you need to ensure that the fuel pumps switches on the panel are OFF during flight, per the manufacturers manual. With them on, you get much higher fuel consumption. You also need to remember to transfer fuel from the aux tanks when there is room in the mains.

I’ve just been testing the DA62, and from what I can figure out, the quoted max range (1,283 nm) is questionable, even if you operate per the manual - e.g. cruising at about 12,000 - 14,000 ft, at 50% power. The manual says that total fuel consumption (both engines) under these settings will be around 9.7 gal/h at 144 KTAS, whereas I was using around 10.6 gal/h. This is less than a 10% excess though, so you shouldn’t be running out halfway, unless there is another issue.

6 Likes

This is exactly right, you just have to follow some extra procedures that were not as important in other sims until now! Exciting times

1 Like

I cannot get the fuel pumps to do anything, on or off they do nothing and then the main tanks empty and I fall from the sky. The manual says to switch them on with 10Gallons left but they do nothing.

Also noted very high consumption when cruising within the normal limits

1 Like

I was having the same issue in the TBM 930. I thought I was doing something wrong. I could still be doing something wrong. I just used cheat codes to add fuel in flight but that ruins the fun a little.

Which plane? Some of them (like the DA40) have a fuel pump and a fuel transfer. Fuel transfer is what you want; the pump is an aux pump switch for takeoff and landing.

Ah got it, re-read the manual. I’m flying the DA62. Aux pumps low down on central panel

1 Like

My a320 from klax to Klga at 38k at 100% fuel runs out around Chicago. I thought I could get 3000 miles in the 320 not 1100 miles.

1 Like

The TBM is the one plane i have done long flights with. I have not checked its full range, but i have done 3.5-4 hour flights with it and thought the economy was about right. Did you have the inertia separator on? That decreases engine efficiency and should really only be used on dirt runways or heavy snow. Having that on will raise your fuel usage around 20%

1 Like

I just posted about it yesterday, there is indeed an issue with fuel consumption:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/losing-all-instruments-after-engine-failure-747/271950/3

1 Like

That is a bug on the Asobo DA62 though.

Fuel flow would not increase with the fuel pumps on the real plane AFAIK.

1 Like

Agreed. The manual says there will be an increase in pressure with the pumps on, but the near-doubling of fuel flow doesn’t make much sense.

There’s a very good chance I didn’t. This is my first flight sim to play ever so I’m still learning.

It needs to be turned off, not on. Most people turn it on as it gives you a yellow warning if you dont. But it is not needed in most circumstances.

1 Like

I appreciate the tip. I’ll probably be using the tbm a lot.

1 Like

It makes zero sense. Where does all the additional fuel go? Engine output stays the same with the pumps on, so they do not burn more.

It works like a fuel dump switch at the moment.

2 Likes

Trying to find the most efficient power/altitude for the diamond da62. I’ve seen people recommend 50 power at 14000 ft. I can’t maintain enough speed at that power

1 Like

What is ‘enough speed’? At 50% power, and 14,000 ft you should be getting around 140-150 kt TAS, per the manual.

1 Like