Fun Thread - Log Book Hours?

Considered yes, and I’m using little nav map to update my around the world map.

For creating flight plans I still prefer the game since it shows all airports as dots at any zoom level, in little nav map I have to zoom in to find airports. Also some airports seem to be missing.

I use Google maps next to the game to plan a rough route ahead. My plan simply consists of the names of the airports (and codes) I want to visit, written down in notepad so I can find them easily in the nearby airport list on the G1000. That way I can always deviate, add more or delete while going. Plus I’ve never been able to get an actual flight plan working in the Bonanza. I generally stop at most, if not all airports on the way (quick landing, stop 'n go) since landing is the best part!

After I’m done flying I create a flight plan by copy/pasting each airport into the search box in the world map. The problem with that is that the game often puts the next airport in the wrong place (instead of simply appending at the end) Perhaps little nav map works better for that, yet with missing airports it won’t work. I’ve gotten quite adapt at my ‘workaround’, save game, open .pln file with text edit in Total Commander, cut and paste the last inserted airport into the correct spot. Save, load .pln file in game and add the next, repeat. Then when done, take a screenshot to get the map.

Next, copy all airports from the new .pln file (except the first) and append it to my fullroute.pln file which has close to 1,400 airports already. Copy/paste the destination, then load it into little nav map to update my world map.

That step is not as easy since little nav map doesn’t render the route zoomed out and I can’t figure out how to stop it from listing the airport codes (which turn it into a giant mess when zoomed out) Thus I patched together a giant master map, 6076x5320, one screenshot at a time, and now update that by copy pasting the new section in it. (Not easy, matching the zoom level on a Mercator projection, I’m getting better at it) Then clean it up a bit by hand in paint shop pro (4.12 from 1991, super fast!) Finally resample it to 1920 width and it looks perfect.

Tbh Little nav map is a bit information overload to me. I turned everything off to get the most simplistic view possible for my world map. Which kinda makes it not so useful for tracking the plane while playing. If i really get ‘lost’ (seldom) or lazy, I create a save game and copy the coordinates from the .flt file to paste them into google or bing maps.

I don’t ‘bother’ with IFR, ATC, air spaces, flight rules etc. The plane is mostly on auto pilot while I’m controlling the drone to look around. I have the heading bug mapped to my flight stick so I use that to ‘steer’ while gawking at the scenery. Same for VS mode.

Landing is usually done within 60 seconds after turning of AP, a couple quick sharp turns to line up and lose speed, throttle zero, gear, max flaps, dive down, level off, feather touch down just above stall speed and brake. Most airstrips are long enough I’m still turning onto the runway at the start of it. I only make an effort to line up on approach when it gets too dark and I have to either use the G1000 view or drone cam at high exposure to be able to see the runway.

Thanks for sharing your process. It’s amazing how we adapt with all the different methods depending on the flying style we each have, or the style in which we use the sim, or the things we want to get out of it

I think every single person has their own unique ‘way’ of enjoying it, and I think that diversity and freedom is what makes it so phenomenal.

In terms of getting lost, I have AirMate installed on an iPad, and it connects through the wireless network and tracks my location like a simulated gps.

Cheers… Happy adventuring!

2 Likes

I consciously turn little nav map off when I fly (because it tracks me) since, while I’m not into the whole proper flying ‘etiquette’, I do like to figure out where I am by comparing what I see to google maps. (Bing is too easy it’s 1:1, finding the way to the airport on Svalbard I used Bing and every pixel was a match)

Little nav map was invaluable to track down where the game kept crashing though. Very useful to have a last known position when it CTD.

It’s kinda ironic. I’ve worked in GPS navigation for well over a decade and now I’m all about finding my way without gps. I don’t have one in my car, I don’t even have a cell phone. When I need to go somewhere I memorize visual references from street view and navigate on those.

Sand box games are the best, happy flying!

1 Like