Fun with Paths in MSFS

I’ve heard a rumor that this:

C:\Users*your user name*\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml

Can sometimes be located in some place other that C drive?

Please advise.

From the windows desk did you try to relocate your folders Documents, Pictures, Videos etc to another disk or partition?

I didn’t move anything… it’s our future users who I’m worried about.

We’re looking for specific paths (such as Context.xml), but our concern is that we could have a support nightmare because some users loving moving stuff all around their computer, and then they complain to us that things stop working :slight_smile:

We need to know if it’s possible that the path below can somehow be located somewhere other than C:… if so, how do we locate it in our program?

C:\Users*your user name *\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml

We heard a rumour the path above can sometimes be located in a spot other than C drive.

For steam users it’ll be C:\Users*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\ Content.xml

So, still on the C drive, but different structure.

And for the boxed version it’s again different, I believe.

I don’t know if this is appropriate for developers to use, or if it solves anything, but I love the environment variables %AppData% and %LocalAppData%.

Eg instead of typing:

• C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml

in Windows Explorer, you can conveniently abbreviate this to:

• %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml

You don’t actually need to worry on which drive the “User” folder is located.
(Similarly, %AppData% directs to the “Roaming” folder.)