G1000 Autopilot Airspeed Question

Hello all, sorry if this is a dumb question. Maybe I’m not searching for the right terms but I can’t find an answer. If I want autopilot to hold my heading and altitude, but I want to change my airspeed, how do I do that? Changing the pitch doesn’t work because AP corrects it, but if I turn AP off and try to slow down with pitch changes, I’m all over the place on altitude. Is there a way to do this, or do I just actually have to get better at slowing down without changing altitude manually?

Thanks for any advice! :slight_smile:

Reducing (or increasing) power?
If there is an autothrottle system, dial up or down speed intervention.

1 Like

With Alt hold and HDG activated, just throttle up or down to adjust speed. AP will keep altitude and heading.

1 Like

I had a feeling the reason I could find an answer was because it was really obvious and I was just missing something. That makes sense, thanks for the quick replies!

2 Likes

In most (maybe all) installations, the G1000 is a 2-axis system, it only controls pitch and roll. In your case HDG is controlling roll and ALT is controlling pitch. Therefore you would change power and the AP would readjust pitch to maintain ALT. The other pitch modes would be A/S hold or V/S hold. In A/S mode power changes will effect rate of climb or descent, in V/S mode power changes will effect airspeed.

1 Like

Thanks for the details, I like understanding this stuff. :slight_smile: