G1000 Update with Sim Update 3

Devs. Can you please give us an update on what are you fixing or what changes you will be making to the G1000 in the sim update 3? Currently the g1000 is a joke. Not to mention it is far away from the real thing, but it is unusable at as is. I actually wished that you partnered with Garmin to have a very realistic back end for the G1000-G3000 series. Thanks.

4 Likes

From what I understand, one of the changes they’re adding is making all Garmin buttons and knobs accessible from keybinds. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine as to what they’re planning. Seeing how most things they’ve improved so far have been pretty minimal, I honestly don’t expect the stock Garmin will be replacing the WorkingTitle mods or even coming close to matching their functionality and features.

2 Likes

I have the WTitle mod and even with that G1000 is unusable. Most fixes are missing, entering flightplan is problematic, direct to function is broken. The other day i tried to shoot an rnav approach, and when i selected the approach and activated it, my entire flight plan was replaced with waypoints called USER. I expected a little more quality from Microsoft.

4 Likes

It wasn’t always that bad. The Garmins, although lean on functionality, didn’t have those navigation issues at launch. Those were introduced with later “fixes”.

The WT mods only add more functionality to the unit and a nicer interface. They’re unfortunately using the default nav engine from Asobo. They’ve built a completely new one for their CJ4 and plan to incorporate it into the G1000 and G3000 mods eventually. The problem is they’ve got a whole team working on the CJ4, but only 1 person on the G1000 at the moment. It’s a lot of work to do that, but it won’t happen any time soon since the G1000 is currently a 1 man show. They need more programmers, but no one is stepping up to the plate for that project.

4 Likes

It’s also a possibility that they’re waiting for the Sim 3 Update before applying any enhancements to the WT G1000. I’ve often asked both sides what the “dovetail” approach will be ever since Jorg did a reachout during the early Q&As to the popular Mod makers for collaboration purposes. No one’s really talking about it, and probably under NDA if anything has transpired. We’ll have to wait for everything to flesh out I suppose.

Personally, I miss my Velocity Vector marker on the WT G1000, but I don’t miss the additional FPS penalty. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The “only 1 guy working on the G1000, we need more devs” was the official explanation by a member of the WT team for the lag in progress on the G1000 over on their Discord.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. SU3 is coming out very soon i think. Cannot remember the exact timeline but I remember it was in 2021 spring time.

@Crunchmeister71, this is the stuff that makes me wish I knew how to program! I’m so looking forward to their revised G1000, as I just can’t with the default, and 3.4 crashes on me every time I select an approach. I got the beta 4.0, but it is very beta lol… But at least it lets me activate an approach!

I’m a prgrammer, but not terribly familiar with C++ nor what’s required to implement stuff like this.

The current G1000 is nothing more than a cartoon. So disappointing. It is the worst G1000 implementation of any flight sim so far.

2 Likes

Well, the focus is on scenary not systems. If they were interested in making a sim they would at least make G1000 fully functional. The focus and goal all along is Xbox.

This is the sim, planes get questionable improvement an scenaries get trailers.

From what I have heard, it’s suppose to be out March 8th.

As much as people mock the Garmin displays in MSFS, they are a vast improvement over what we had in FSX/P3D. It took years to get decent displays for the Garmin 430,530, 650 and 750 from 3rd parties. And the FMC on airliners, what’s that? Stars, SIDs, never heard of them. Again we had to wait for 3rd parties to get these. And you had to pay Navigraph for up to date nav data (well you still do).
At least we have free add on mods from the likes of FBW and WT that have been making vast improvements. I wouldn’t hold my breath for Asobo to provide anything more than entry level planes and systems.

4 Likes

I’m certainly hopeful for new features, but what I really want is for the G1000, G3000, G3X, and the system in the Longitude we already have to be cleaned up, polished, and the mistakes fixed.

1 Like

Get the new 4.1 G3000 mod from WT GitHub - Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages: Working Title FS Packages It’s works for both the TBM and Longitude’s G5000. And get the Road Data addon.

1 Like

That would be the main reason I’d like the garmins to have a little polish and clean coding, so WT can have an easier time innovating.

Come on, SimFlyer - get your backsides in gear and give us some nice nav avionics!

Used to like their stuff for FSX many years ago - cheap but effective and did the job very nicely - even I could understand how to put them onto my panels in 2D and the VC and how to operate them afterwards.

Yesterday I got very frustrated after flying several different aircraft and finding that the CLR button in the G1000s didn’t work! So I had to fly my emergency missions in Neofly with almost a third of the map covered.

I also did a flight in the Carenado Phenom 300 for P3Dv3 and the GPS on that is awesome. I had zero manual or idea - just went with common sense and experience and that little clickable blue control screen underneath is amazing. Just like the really fun text GPS you get in the Grob G-115D Heron. Didn’t take long to work out how to use it and it was fun! If comparatively small outfits like Carenado, Simflyer and Iris can do it so well, I don’t see why Microsoft and Asobo can’t pull it off at some stage.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve unfortunately had to stop using any of the g1000 equipped aircraft for ifr flights on Vastim. Just way too much of a crapshoot on whether or not it will function as intended. I would say 80% of the time something goes majorly wrong with it. Yeah some of it is able to be worked around using various methods, but I’d rather just save myself the frustration.

The good news is the GNS 530 mod is an absolute gem, and the WT G3000 4.0 mod is also very much usable. Both of which I feel very comfortable using on Vatsim now for ifr.

The Mooney, Seminole, and TBM are my three favorite aircraft too, so I can certainly get by for now until the G1000 is usable. I just feel bad for people who’s main aircraft use the 1000. Hopefully we can get a usable version sooner than later…I’d love to fly the bonanza more.

2 Likes

There’s a G1000 4.0 beta on the Working Title discord. Go to the garmin page and hit pinned posts. You could try this as an invite, but it looks odd to me, so I’m not making any promises…

1 Like

Does it add some of the functionality as WT’s G3000 4.1 mod?