G3000 Touchpad Nightmare

Touchpads are unfotrunately popular everywhere, and in cockpit too.
But for us VR Pilots we need buttons and switches to find blind in our VR Cockpit build.
I tried to controll the mouse with a Wacom Touchpad, but It not works propper.
The Wacom can be used as a mouse under Win but is detected as an additional Input device in MSFS.

If more G3000 aircraft are available and G1000 will die, how we can manipulate this under VR with using our hands?
Handtracking like in DCS is not jet on the roadmap.

I like the Wacom touchpad idea. The best about it (when using the pen) is you see the position of the cursor before realy touching the pad with the pen, but unfortunatly it´s not shown when using the finger-mouse function. It works like the laptop touchpad, but not in MSFS for replacing the mouse.

The future is Handtracking (with or without Leap Motion)… I have to wait…

1 Like

Hmm… I just use my mouse and find it much easier than trying to blindly find knobs on a hardware controller (if I had any).

Put any person a touchpad and a knob on the desk…
What will people do? 3x darfst du raten…

I might have misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you were saying it’s easier for you to find a knob on a hardware controller than using a mouse or whatever other input device when in VR. I couldn’t understand that. Can’t imaging trying to “feel out” the correct knob when not seeing anything.

I use VR almost all the time and I have a few homemade panels with push buttons and knobs and switches… Just like in a real aircraft, it takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while you know where each thing is (thanks muscle memory)!

The shape and size of each button as on the photo above (HDG and ALT knobs for instance are the same size but slightly different shapes) help you make sure you have the right one…

Sorry @marcorosi this doesn’t help you, you’re right a touchpad device with a shape appearing on the G3000 to know where your finger is would be great until hand tracking gets more popular and widely available!

I can’t image using that in VR. But it’s a matter of preference. I just stick to using a mouse and it works OK. Gloves with hand tracking would be ideal.

:wink: That´s what I mean. I want it to work perfect!

With Leap Motion, no need for gloves. With this Wacom I know with pen usage, you see the tip an the screen before touching it. If anybody is clever enough, try to work this style by finger and make it working for MSFS2020, voila! We have a G3000 Touchpad :slight_smile:

@ mm212hd130
Thats what I plan until handtracking is available and usable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.