G36 Improvement Project

Okay, finished all the flight testing. Got some interesting numbers.

All flights followed the following criteria:
Vy=100 KIAS
A/C Weight = 3650 Lbs.
C/G within limits
A/C is clean (Flaps up, Gear up)
Full Throttle
Prop. @ 2700 RPM
ISA throughout entire flight
Wind calm

All flights were recorded. I can upload to YT or otherwise as required. It might be best for someone to try and replicate my findings as well, so as to adhere to the scientific method. :wink:

TL;DR: The stock application of the G36 is definitely under-powered. Turning auto-mixture off exacerbates the issue, as itā€™s not currently possible to lean the a/c accurately with the current G1000 implementation. The mod helps quite a bit, although is still under-powered at high cruise altitudes (>12-13,000). Hopefully these numbers can help improve the mod as a short-term fix, all while further improvements are made to the sim to allow for better recreation of the climb profile.

Big thanks to @FrettFS for making the mod. Your contributions are greatly appreciated! :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

EDIT: This took me 6 hours to compile. Please love me :upside_down_face:

28 Likes

Gotta love this community! Thanks for your effort and those of others (jonasbeaver, Tbolt, JuiceBox). Especially the first table is useful (with mod and automixture). I will also enable automixture and the recommended weight for further tweaking

Bottom line is that especially at high altitudes the discrepancies (at least in climb performance) become larger. The absolute differences are not that great though.

The thing is that, in the absence of a working SDK for default aircraft (other than the Da62 sample), there is no efficient way to tweak. Itā€™s a non-linear problem that Iā€™m trying to solve by changing some tuning parameters. Adjusting one parameter and getting it right usually breaks something else if you do this by trial and error. Although we can all understand the basic differences between certain engine parameters and different types of drag, the exact effects of each tuning parameters are sometimes difficult to establish. Any help on this (from someone with some experience in aerodynamics, unlike me) would be greatly appreciated. In the meanwhile Iā€™ll fiddle around some more :slight_smile:ā€¦

2 Likes

Not getting the mod for some reason. May have to reboot or repair.

Iā€™m an aeronautics student looking to become an air traffic controller. My knowledge is fairly basic, but I know where to look for good information. Let us know what specifics you need help with specifically and Iā€™m sure we can all scratch our heads collectively, at least until that SDK shows up.

Canā€™t wait to get this G36 up to snuff, love my Bonanzaā€™s :slight_smile:

I always seem to forget to unzip the package. Just making sure youā€™re not following in my footsteps? :wink:

Thanks, I will check again.

You took an airplane that was barely flyable with a sad 4 cylinder engine and made it useful. Thank you for your efforts.

2 Likes

I have done as indicated - extracted the ā€œbonanza-g36-performance-fixesā€ folder into, in my case:

F:\MFS\MSFSPackages\Community

but when I start MFS I see only one A36 ? Also, should I have copied the original A36 files & folders into that community folder ?

Thanks

@Exp232, I believe it! I did something similar for the G36 about 8 months ago. Thanks for taking the time to do that!

3 Likes

Youā€™ll only see the 1, but when you start flying it will be immediately noticeable if it worked or not. Being able to actually do 170KTAS at 23/2300 vs struggling to break 140KTAS at 25/2500 just brings a smile to my face.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if itā€™s tweakable, but the one thing thatā€™s still really out even with the mod is the behavior when you drop the gear. If youā€™re at say 150 KIAS and lower the gear, the speed should immediately drop 20-30 kts. In a real plane it feels like if you hit the brakes hard in a car.

The Carenado A36 for X-plane has this effect perfectly, hope it can be reproduced here.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the improvement! It is so much better now!

Thank you so much for the fixes!
Together with the liveries of @GuiFarias31 it is a joy to fly:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/props-master-livery-list/168148/12

Hope weā€™ll getting some more variation in liveries other than color changes to the default paint scheme soon. Iā€™ll see if I can make one myself.

I started working on a new version based on all of your feedback:

• I fixed the bug @jonasbeaver reported where the efficiency would significantly increase around 2000 rpm.
  • I adjusted the gear/flap drag balance. The landing gear now produces more drag @jwe21x, while performance is reasonably close to the approach settings and speeds provided by @jonasbeaver

Biggest challenge ahead is further adjusting the climb and cruise performanceā€¦

Thanks again for all the help and positive comments :smiley:!

17 Likes

waiting on your link! looking forward to your efforts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your efforts! I mostly fly this plane in FSE, and I also do so at cruise alts above 10K quite a bit. Anything I can do to help you collect data?

I just tried the modā€¦ all I can say is Wow! It really flies nicely now! All phases of flight feel like they have been improved. Thank you!

One question I have as I start seeing more mods coming along. Will Asobo pick up these changes and incorporate them into code base or will we forever have to be chasing down the latest mods for everything? Yes Iā€™m lazyā€¦ but more importantly, everyone should have these improvements.

Againā€¦ great job!

Nice work on the Bonanza!
Can someone fix the TBM 930 as well? Idle should be at around 30% of the current throttle stroke. If you put it to idle, it overheats and if too soon, the engine shuts down.

Ah cr ap. I didnā€™t see the instructions at the bottom of the post and I dropped it into my Official folder and overwrote the stuff there. Now the plane doesnā€™t show up in the list at all. I knew I should have made a backup.

Easy fix, in case anyone does the sameā€¦ just go to content manager and delete the plane and reinstall. About 250MB.

2 Likes