Game Crashing on Almost Every Flight

Happens regardless of aircraft type. I set the flight up.

Sometimes happens after 20 min sometimes after a few hours but the sound stops. then skips a little bit.

Then it crashes to the home screen with no error message.

I recently upgraded to 32 GB of ram but hasn’t solved the trick.

Any suggestions?

Mine just did the same thing. Flying out of Queenstown, New Zealand. 5 minutes in the air then screen froze and the sound blips then whole thing crashes without a message.

Annoying to say the least.

A lot of people have the same problems. A lot of suggestions are made to investigate the problem. I believe it had to do with a problem in the software ( memory leak?). We have to wait till Asobo solves this problem.

You need to find out what specifically is crashing.

Go to your event viewer (type ‘event viewer’ in the search box next to the windows start button).

In the top left click on ‘Custom Views’, and then ‘Administrative events’.

In the main screen you should now see all events that happened sorted from newest to oldest.
Most of these you can ignore, but look for ‘Error’ messages around the timestamp of your crash.

Most of the time you’ll find it was either your graphics driver crashing, or MSFS itself.
In the Error details you can seen what happened specifically, or which module caused the crash (like the feared VCRuntime140.dll).

1 Like

PC specifications are almost always required in these types of topics.
Please share…

< edit >
I have been doing one hour+ flight after another with a buddy. I have not experienced crashing, but he has.
After showing him how to view his FPS and explaining what it is (he has little PC experience), it was clear he was pushing settings too high for his “gaming” laptop and causing frames to drop below 5 on an approach to a city airfield. Once settings were lowered, he stopped experiencing crashes.

My specs:
i9-10850k
RTX 3080 OC
128 GB ddr4 3200
Preset= 1440p, Ultra

His specs (laptop)
i5
GTX 1650
16GB of unknown
Preset= 1080p, High-end

1 Like

One thing that seems to have fixed my ctd’s was turning down the Volumetric Clouds setting.
Ultra guarantees a crash mid flight for me
High causes a ctd sometimes when pressing the escape key mid-flight to

Since setting it to medium I haven’t had a ctd

Your pc specs and in-game graphic settings would be a big help

1 Like

Funny you say that last few days after turning my terrain level of detail slider up from 100 to 150 in the SDK. I had been getting alot of CTD’s but today I turned that setting back down and didn’t have a crash since.

Only thing I can’t guarantee it was that which fixed it cos I did also re-install the latest sdk version again, so could just have been that.

Are you overclocking CPU or GPU?

Mine crashes all the time when I have afterburner running. Turn it off, everything is fine. Even if Afterburner is running with no overlocking configured it crashes.

1 Like

I’ve never had an issue with the game crashing. If you are running mods that may be why? t

The sim has a huge number of faults which leak memory and cause unhandled conflicts, but you can improve your chances of mitigating crashes by doing some or all of the following:

1. Turning off all dynamically generated content, such as vehicles
  2. Turning off multiplayer.
  3. Turning off live content.
  4. Turning down graphics settings.
  5. Setting your Windows Page File to 1.5x your RAM
  6. Removing custom content from the Community folder

There are many more, but the above helped me reduce crashes considerably.

1 Like

Didn’t have any crash before last patch and then they started, very often.
I solved the problem, in my case, turning off any kind of traffic: multiplayer, AI, real, etc.
Since then, no more CTD, not even on 5 hours flights.
Hope it help.

Note: I also have rolling cache switched to off, but that alone didn’t solve it in the beginning

So i just did this right after a game crash. Its showing up as an application error.

Note this has happened before and after re downloading the game.

I have 48 GB of RAM 2x 16 GB sticks and 2x 8 gb sticks

GPU is a 2060 Super

I think having those mismatched rams may be the cause.