Game does not start

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? No.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No.

Brief description of the issue: Since today (I didn’t touch my gaming laptop for two weeks) the game does not start, neither when launched via the start menu nor via MS store.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered: -

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: update windows to current version and try to launch the game.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile) i5-9300H, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1650

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: 20H2 (OS Build 19042.964)

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version? Microsoft Store.

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? Not yet.

Same here. When starting from desktop, it sends me to the store for a mandatory update. Nothing happens when I click the “install” button. The “store screen” more or less freezes, with only the circle chasing its tail. Then the store closes down. When starting from the store, same effect. When clicking the three dots to get downloads and updates, nothing happens again. I understand it is a “store issue”, but how can I get the store to work? I tried some recommended things (reset etc.), but nothing works. Can’t even uninstall the store. Frustrating

Thank you for your reply. However, your issue, or at least its symptoms seems different from mine. When clicking on the start menu icon, nothing happens, and I realised I cannot even uninstall (!) the game, as nothing happens either.

A couple of weeks ago my sim suddenly refused to load. It went OK through the ASOBO and Blackshark AI screens and then just would hang at the picture of Paris - the loading circle would spin endlessly. I had to exit via task manager-end task. Ditto after app repair and reset. Ditto even after uninstall/reinstall. So this was something serious and basic. An error message would have given me a clue (please for goodness sake ASOBO use error messages - even just simple ones would help a lot).
Anyway, by chance I looked at the X-box app. It had been updated and something screwed up my user ID. Logging out, restarting PC and logging in fixed that!
That was all that was wrong - the game couldn’t resolve my X-Box name so it hung.

1 Like

However, roll forward to yesterday evening. Same problem again!!! This time an investigation into X-Box and Microsoft Store didn’t help - nothing seems wrong and both start up OK.
Once again - with no way of knowing what is causing the sim to hang I can’t try to fix it. I tried app repair and reset but no better. Reset deleted (prolly only deleted knowledge of ) the sim so I would face another 9 to 13 hour reinstall.
Luckily I made a complete copy of the sim and the other bit of it. Still hangs at that picture of Paris again though. It obviously wants to communicate with something at that stage but what? and why does the process fail all the time?

Thank you for your reply. This is yet another (my game does not respond at all, not even the process launches) tremendously strange bug.

Having this same issue. Can’t get the sim to start.

Hello
Let me start with my system specification (as on the picture), I use NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Until now I’ve never had any problems, I’m using store version. My window’s up to date, xbox app up to date, NVIDIA drivers up to date, I went thru troubleshooting here https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015893879-Crashing-CTDs-issues I did not reinstall my windows.
My sim is installed on external drive, community folder is on disk C, but that has never been an issue. I am using Microsoft Store version.
So the story briefly: Three weeks ago I decided I need more RAM, so I sent my PC to IT, who checked my specs and chose the RAM that will be best suited to my system. They added RAM to total of 64GB (initially had 16GB). It took them a while, so I got my PC back a week ago. When I got my PC back I started the game but managed to upload 300mb of the update, it would not go further. So I uninstalled the game, installed it again (the installation was fine, update was dodgy - it would stop after every 30GB and switch itself off, so the whole process took 4 days.). The game would CTD as soon as I started or soon after take off (max 5min). So I uninstalled the game, removed all remnants of previous installation and reinstalled the game - all fine., just took 36hrs. I had CTD again and that was regardless of whether there was anything in community folder or not. So I updated everything I could, no changes. Game would crash after approx 10min, I would never manage to get to taxi. I though installing world update (BeNeLux countries) might have helped, but actually it got everything worse, out of 3 startups I managed to load a flight once and had CTD within 1min. No error message. I checked with Event Viewer and got this:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6087d3ea
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000023700fe9c46
Faulting process id: 0x1214
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7440ad9146c74
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.10.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: ae0210fa-6978-4548-b477-3990f8de8322
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.10.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
I have no idea what it means but maybe it will tell You a bit?

Best wishes

Andrew

Hello,

with Access violation you can do nothing…

What do You mean “access violation” what does it mean? And how is it possible I have it now and did not have it before?

Hello,

generally I can recommend think about situation when problem is raised. typically some exception code error is presented so some own study about exception codes of SW is your way in my opinion, this is good start. Look, if I was mentioned to all that I don’t understand why my MSFS freezes every time and yesterday was all ok, what you think I did wrong till this time? I think you don’t be capable answer, correct?

Not exactly the reply I was expecting, but thank You anyway for answers.
Maybe someone from Asobo team would be able to tell me what is wrong with their product for it seems, it’s not only me reporting CTD with no error message?

Definitely not just you, as there are almost 1000 votes on the relevant discussion. Of course we still haven’t seen a single fix to address CTDs in the past few months.

Hi @CustomOrc225503 ,

have you in meanwhile done a testcase without installed mods ?

Does the issue persist ?

We spoke about your new RAM and that this can cause possible the issue, because this is the new-thing in your PC and you tell that the PC works fine with your former 16GIG RAM. Possible is also that XMP mode cause the issue.

XMP Mode ( better profile ) is a overclocking profile for your memory. It works outside the JEDEC specification but the manufactor tell that this works. Mostly it do, sometime not.
The settings for this is in BIOS and may be you can ask your IT to help for a test.

But again:

• we expect that you have currently no mods installed, that your community folder is empty ( as I mentioned some time , e.g. )

Some mods cause exactly the same error and other mods cause uncontrolled usage of memory. Only if we know that your vanilla MSFS works fine, you can step by step try out mods.

Hello
So as a typical lay person in IT world I googled and youtubed and switched off my overlocking. I just concluded a flight LGAV-EGKK with no CTD and that is first in weeks! The FPS seems to be a bit of an issue, when at the airport I could see a bit of stutters, but that’s another problem which is commonly reported. I hope it will get fixed soon. The holiday season is near and I’d like to base myself at EGKK for that.
Thank You once again.

and

and this is the reason why we and the FAQ mentioned :slight_smile:

• disable overclocking !

Why ever a lay person do overclocking…

See what I’am already wrote you some days ago:

The old issues are often related to memory (xmp mode) , overclocking, or usage of mods.

OC, OC

never ending story… Glad you have solution.

1 Like

and they never mentioned it within the error reporting… We think about the issue some days to find a solution, and then “I disabled now my OC”… :grimacing:

Some like this question probably point to that… This topic is ok to find for other users as good solution or advice to not do of that changes with HW.

May I point out my issue is still very much unresolved, as the other diffulties mentioned in this tread are different.