Game wont start

After latest windows update game acts like its starting but goes back to desktop before first Osobo splash screen.

Tried all the usual log in/outs MS Store, Xbox and checked Xbox networking ok. No store updates available. Typical MS update if its not sim updates killing the game it op sys doing it.

Anyone else? Any suggestions?

what should possible to suggest without additional info :wink:

May be at least show the community the error message logged within windows event log.

Beside of these it seems simmilar issue isn’t new for you:

How you fixed these former issue ?

The same here !!!

I ran msreset.exe in run screen and it fixed my issue after restart and logging back in and logging back into ms store and xbox. make sure to check and or fix xbox networking.

and you tried your fix also to fix your current issue ? Otherwise as said, please check whether there is a windows event log message :slight_smile:

While I appreciate your input I have had to reinstall this software so many times after the 40 listed troubleshooting suggestions it makes no sense. Your listing of my previous problems is proof enough thanks for that. This is the only software I own that I just cringe at any update on the simulator or op sys.

For the record reloads cost money on 100G downloads.

1 Like

still wait for an error message , based on this we possible can give you a hint :wink:

Our hints for you as good as the information you give us. And because you ignored completly the issue template, you get kinds of hints which are possible.

I have the same issue, after Windows update yesterday MSFS crashes to desktop just before the update checking window was supposed to show up.

I tried every single fix i could possibly find online without success. Opened an issue with Zendesk support and tried all the suggestions in their list as well. They suggested that i uninstall all the Visual C++ programs and reinstall them, and now some of the other programs that were using older versions stopped responding :frowning:

After exhausting all the other possibilities, i had to try resetting MSFS following their instructions. After waiting more than 6 hours to download almost 100Gb, the game still didn’t work, this time i get an error saying “request is not supported” when i launch the game.

I also tried to make a clean install following their instructions, and i get the same “request is not supported” error after downloading the initial 1.65Gb package from MS store.

I have spent around 100 euros for this game and another 400 for various add-ons, and now it simply stopped working and i also messed up other programs trying to fix it. This is really infuriating, in 25 years since i’ve been using computers i’ve never seen anything even remotely close to this mess.

4 Likes

I can feel your frustration man.Would you consider a fresh install of windows?This is what I ended up doing.

1 Like

I don’t think reinstalling Windows is an option for me. I still use other simulators like DCS, P3D with hundreds of add-ons so it would take weeks of reinstalling stuff to get back to where i am today. And no-one can guarantee this won’t happen again at the next Windows update, or if it’s a full moon or whatever :slight_smile:

It’s really strange, MSFS was running pretty good before, i never had a CTD or lockup or anything even in long flights, and now it completely stopped working literally overnight, and reinstalling doesn’t work either.

Same here, very frustrating, since somewhere in the middle of june game ctd’s after first sceneryscreen (castle pc) tried al things zendesk advised, send them my log files and systemspecs, no success, at the end i even reinstalled pc and win 10, no success, it’s game over and i am quite sure now the problem is not with me. I bought Xplane11, starts very fast and works great, msfs standard scenery is a bit better, but Xplane11 has powerlines, trains, helikopters, gliders, handles its own errors, setup my controllers automatically and runs much smoother than msfs. I only regret having paid a lot of money for msfs and a lot of addons :frowning:

I don’t know… is it too hard do report the logged error message from Windows Event log so that the community get a minimum starting point for searching/discuss possible issue ?

No it is not, but it is useless, we can all look for error codes ourselves on google. I am actually quite knowledgeable when it comes to pc’s and software, has been my job for a very long time, and after struggling to try to get msfs working i am quite convinced there is a problem that has to be solved by microsoft/asobo.

LOL… then please dont write a post within a public discussion forum. If you only want report an issue , use ZenDesk. Thanks.

1 Like

When i had the CTD at startup, i sent my msinfo file to Zendesk and they said they can see that MSFS is crashing due to “Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe”
They gave me a list of things to try, and none of them worked.

Now when i try to make a clean reinstall, after downloading the 1.65Gb package from the MS Store and installing the digital ownership, when i click “Launch” i get the error in the attached image.

Capture

You could try resetting the app.

Windows Settings :gear: > Apps and features > Find the game on the list.

Hit Repair or Reset

The “request not supported” is a bit different than the main topic. Some infos about in forum:
: Search results for 'request not supported ' - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

As example here a user reported " Cannot start Microsoft Flight Simulator ('The request is not supported' pop-up error) - #4 by DressierCone45 starting as admin" will help. Sounds a bit strange and may be its not the same as I understood you done a clean re-install.

I remember for an very old case where usere reported a windows update caused this, which sounds like your report. If realy nothing will help, you can show us the windows update history and you can may be try to rollback the update.

I have another case in mind, but… cant find for the moment…

EDIT: ah… sorry… I read your post wrong. You try to do a clean re-install. Have you done the former “uninstall” accordently to these steps ?

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016107019-How-to-repair-or-remove-and-do-a-clean-install-of-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-on-Microsoft-Store

Important might be the clean up of folders. May be there are some files left which cause that.

I tried to repair the old install and it didn’t work. Then i tried reset, and it started downloadin the 100Gb package. After waiting more than 6 hours for the download, i managed to get into the game and work on the graphics settings. When i tried to start the game the second time, it gave me the “request not supported” error.
When i try to do a clean reinstall, i get the same “request not supported” error as before. But i made some progress, i managed to get past that after i download the initial 1.65gb package in MS Store. If i click launch form MS Store, i get that error, but if i search for MSFS in the Windows search bar and run it as administrator, i can at least start installing. We will see what happens after that.

EDIT: yes, i followed all the steps in the link you mentioned and cleaned up the folders before.

Could be a faulty Windows installation.
Here are some steps to check up on that:

1 Like

Thank you, i will try that if i get the error again.