Xbox General Options > Data > Online Functionality greyed out, GUI buggy (1.30.12.0)

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes (I have no addons)

Brief description of the issue:

Xbox X, MSFS 40th Anniversary Edition Premium Deluxe, AAU1 1.30.12.0, fresh install this week, no customization. Suddenly the General Options > Data > Online functionality settings are a mess:

1. The Online Functionality is greyed out (I have the extra 60GB “offline” files installed)
  2. When I hover the pointer over the Online Functionality, the GUI vibrates and jumps around.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Screenshot and video

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Xbox X > General Options > Data tab > hover pointer over Online Functionality

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox X
MSFS 40th Anniversary Edition - Premium Deluxe
AAU1 1.30.12.0
Optional 60 GB of ‘Offline World’ data is installed

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Just reporting that the Xbox Data functionality is even more screwed up than I thought…

The GUI is greyed out and jumps around, it won’t properly switch to offline mode, and it gets stuck in semi-offline mode and won’t allow going back online.

Here is a video of 2 tests - description of what I am doing is below:

First Test:

1. Log in to MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe
  2. Show that I’m signed in and Online
  3. Show that the Online Functionality, and Bing Data World Graphics ON / OFF selectors are greyed out
  4. Show that the GUI jumps around when hovering the pointer over the selectors.
  5. Unplug ethernet cable and it properly says “Warning, Connection Lost” with 2 choices:
    *OK ← I choose OK
    *Switch Offline
  6. I plug the cable back in and it properly says “Successfully Connected” in Green…

Test 2:

1. I click on my Username and change status to “Offline”
  2. It puts up a warning, “Connection Lost”:
    *OK
    *Switch Offline ← I choose Switch Offline
  3. Now things are screwed up - notice that:
    *Online Functionality (greyed out) still says “ON”
    *My User Status is “Offline” but greyed out, so I can’t switch back online
    *Even though I’m offline, it still shows the servers
  4. I’m now stuck in this state, and the only way to go back online is to reboot.
  5. Upon reboot, MSFS believes it is Offline, and then properly offers to play in Oflline Mode. Only then does the Online Functionality appear NOT greyed out, and I can switch to “Online” again (and reboot).

I’m seriously doubting many Xbox users would go to all this trouble - and I’m certain this is not how MS / Asobo intend it to work.

MODERATOR EDIT: Please do not ping Team Members to bring an issue or bug forward.

I have factory reset my Xbox X, and done a fresh install of MSFS 40th Anniversary Edition Premium Deluxe - including the optional 60 GB of “Offline World” files.

On the initial configuration screen, even if you choose to NOT stream data, it says it requires a constant internet connection for authentication. Is this why my General Options > Data > won’t allow toggling Online Functionality to “OFF”?

Have any of you played on Xbox Gaming Cloud prior to experiencing this issue?

No. (Forum software says post must be longer, so here is a longer answer: no.

1 Like

I am doing a full, 100% factory reset today, to demonstrate to Asobo / MS / Azure / Zendesk / forum moderators, that there is a chronic server connection issue with MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe on Xbox X - AND - that the way MSFS behaves when a server can’t be reached is broken.

@GimbalAxis,
I have received a message from Asobo. There’s no need to reinstall as they are aware of it. Thank you.

I have uninstalled MSFS 40th completely, done a 100% factory reset of Xbox, and a new install of MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe … NO saved settings …

This is what a new customer would experince with Xbox and MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe, on first opening MSFS:

“Due to an unexpected error, your game license cannot be authenticated”

… and, when trying to follow the ZenDesk and other Forum moderator instructions, to “toggle online functionality”, here is what they would see:

The General Options > Data > Online Functionality is greyed out and the GUI doesn’t work. Note this is still the intitial set up screens on the first launch of MSFS on Xbox, I haven’t even made it to the Home screen yet. Notice that the “Online Functionality” line item GUI is messed up, greyed out, and jumps around when hovering over it?

1 Like

Thank you. I and another moderator have escalated this.

1 Like

I have this issue on one of my Xbox Series X, but not the other. I do not have the buggy GUI as @GimbalAxis does. It appears normally, but both of the aforementioned options are greyed out.

I have zero input as to why this would be. Neither of these units have seen a reinstallation nor have they had any add-ons added to them recently.

They are both enrolled in the beta program, and have been for awhile now.

Ok, I found what changed here.

On my Xbox that I only have the sim installed on and the one that I fly 99% of the time on, I had “World - offline mode” installed.

On my other Xbox, I had uninstalled “World - offline mode”, thinking I didn’t need it, at all. This Xbox is the one that had those two options greyed out.

I just reinstalled “World - offline mode” and launched the sim. Now both options are no longer greyed out.

For the uninitiated, “World - offline mode” is found by:
• Xbox Home
• Highlight Microsoft Flight Simulator
• Press Menu button on controller
• Manage game and add-ons
• Select Microsoft Flight Simulator
• Press A
• Manage installation (on storage card or internal wherever you have the sim installed)

From here, “World - offline mode” will either be installed (checkbox ticked) or uninstalled (checkbox unticked).

To install, simply tick the box and choose “Save Changes” on the right.

Once it’s installed launch the sim and see if the options are no longer greyed out.

My suspicion is that the updated base install package you download when it’s a new install somehow has different code than if you installed earlier and have updated… And I wonder if the base file info shows different version info - If you look at the “File Info” page for your MSFS install, maybe it’s different than mine?

FullName: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.30.12.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
OneStoreProductId: +9NRRJLLXM68V

… and if the code IS different … that implies a problem with the update flow. If we are on exactly the same platform with exactly the same product, both up to date (and as it happens both in the beta flight testing) … then the code should be the same. It begs the question, what other bugs are rooted in that flawed update flow, where some people get this code, and others get that code - and they wonder why “bugs can’t be reproduced”?

On my system:

• Factory reset Xbox yesterday
  • Fresh install of MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe
  • Selected both "Base Game and “World Offline Mode” files to be installed
  • They are in fact installed
  • The MSFS > General > Data > Offline Functionality is still greyed out

My system is exactly as a new user would experience if they bought an Xbox, bought MSFS 40th Aniv. Premium Deluxe and installed it. I have not even flown in this install yet - 100% new, generic.

I think they are aware that the Offline / Server conectivity logic is a hot mess - I hope they figure it out. I don’t really want to fly offline - but I also don’t want MSFS to continue choking mid flight and blaming the user.

World - offline mode files (59.8 GB) installed:

Xbox X > MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe > General > Data > Online Functionality GUI:

This is identical to my installation.

What a strange issue you’ve got there.

If I power up the Xbox with no internet connection, and load MSFS - after about 1000 warnings about being offline, the General > Data > Online Functionality does appear correctly, not greyed out, recognizing that it is offline, and offers to go “ON” … If I click “ON” it then immediately greys out again, and the GUI jumps around as before.

Anyway, I did my part to report it, it’s up to MS / Asobo to care enough to fix the bugs. Thanks for taking the time to compare.

1 Like

I just put a ticket in for this. Ive had this issue for months now.

I’m really not sure what the logic is for this, it would be nice to get some info from Asobo if this is intentional or a bug. But it does break the ability to “go offline” and then “go online” to fix these terrible connection issues.

This issue is still present in 1.31.20.0.

This makes it so you can’t even follow the instructions to toggle Online Functionality ON or OFF when instructed, while troubleshooting the chronic online server issues.

A couple of things you can try…

1 ~ Click on your Gamertag (top right of screen) and Sign Out of the servers. This will kick you back to the Start screen, when you start the sim again, it’ll get you a new connection to the servers.

If this doesn’t work ~

2 ~ Delete your profile from the Console (it’ll resynch from the Cloud again when you restart. Your profile on the Xbox can get corrupted & cause this to happen.
At the Xbox Homepage, highlight the game with the green box, press the button on your Controller with the 3 horizontal lines and select Manage Game & Add Ons. Go down and select Saved Data, then highlight your Gametag with the green box and press A on the Controller. Then select DELETE FROM CONSOLE and your profile will be deleted. Quit the game, restart the Xbox and start the game again, it’ll resynch your profile from the Cloud.

If it’s still not fixed ~

3~ it may be that your Cloud Profile has been corrupted, this is a bigger problem. You can easily fix this by following the steps above in “2”, but instead of DELETING FROM CONSOLE, you need to DELETE FROM EVERYWHERE. I wouldn’t recommend doing this until you’ve totally run out of anything else to try. If you delete your profile from everywhere, it’ll delete the profile from the console & the cloud and it’ll reset the whole sim back to zero (all your flight hours will be gone, all your stats too, Bush Trips & Landing Challenges will all be reset to zero. If you have a HOTAS etc, all your bindings will be back to the default settings, you’ll have to remap any settings that you changed.

Try steps 1 & 2, hopefully one of them works, if not, do some more research on the MSFS Forum (but bear in mind that step 3 will def fix it, but at a cost).

Ha… no, as part of beta testing, I regularly sign out of MSFS and uninstall using the “delete everywhere” option, and factory reset my Xbox also using the “delete everywhere” option, so that I can start with a blank slate for testing. The image posted above was a screen shot after a new install 2 days ago.

Now here’s the thing. I only use MSFS on Xbox, so if there is some account-related corruption, it is because of MSFS … and worse, if it is somehow lingering in spite of all my efforts to thoroughly delete every preference and start with a clean slate - then that is incredibly bad code. MSFS should not be able to corrupt an entire Microsoft user profile to the point where the Microsoft account itself has to be abandonned (with my other Microsoft products like 365 in it). So IF that is happening, then wow - really bad. And in fact today on this forum 2 people have reported their PC User accounts had to be wiped out - with Microsoft’s tech support confirming - so, yeah, bad. I really hope it’s not the case for Xbox users - because that would be… bad.

This issue is not limited to me or my account, other Xbox users report the same thing since SU11.

Hello, this is an old post, however, since the release of SU12, I still have this issue of Online Functionality and Bing Data being grayed out.

You had said you escalated this issue and was wondering what the result of that was.

Zendesk at one point suggested I delete my entire cloud profile to see if it fixed this issue- it did nothing to fix it, and I was stuck with my entire history in the sim; flight hours, flight logs, all keybindings, saved settings, etc. permanently deleted for nothing.

2 Likes