Get rid of the snow on runways, taxiways, aprons and roads

I agree, get rid of the completely white runways and taxiways, the all white roads are bad enough. CYYC airport does not look this at any time of the year, they actually keep the surfaces clear of snow, if they didn’t the airport would be shut down. it is not even remotely close to being realistic.

4 Likes

Essentially impossible to see anything in Aspen with all the snow on the runways and taxiways…

1 Like

Oh I love Summertime in New Zealand! The lakeside Barbecues and fantastic summer hiking oppurtunities!!!

No but seriously, does Asobo even care about this thread? Can we tag them in to acknowledge it? Its only been a year

1 Like

I just found something interesting - I expect others already know this but thought I’d say anyway. I looked at Meteoblue for snow cover, and found that if you zoom in you see accurate depiction of snow cover following the freezing level. I fyou zoom out you effectively get a much lower snow cover resoluiotn which matches the blobs of snow randomly scattered e.g. in mountain areas that we see in the sim. So they are only interpolating at low regional scale, whilst we are flying very much seeing it local level.
That may be why there is equally snow on everything regardless - roads motorways etc. Just a rather lazy low res blanket cover.
I’m sure it would be easy to exclude some objects and have the option, like in P3D, to have either frozen water bodies or not.

I hope they will solve the issue this winter :slight_smile:
Impossible to land LSZS, LSGS and many, many more in rwx.
Cheers

1 Like

Tried snow for the first time today. Took a flight in British Columbia, Canada. The runways and taxiways are invisible. Not realistic. Good thing for synthetic vision.

Voted!

1 Like

Hopefully in a future update, Asobo will address the snow covered runways and taxiways. Sometimes you cant see either one of them, except with runways you can see the lights. But really frustrating when trying to taxi and you later find out your in the grass…

Well, you can add just a little snow under custom weather settings and it comes out nice. Not sure what the correct depth for that affect was. You’ll have to experiment.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/uploads/default/original/4X/f/f/7/ff7e39aef6bd67ff8f8f9f4f00dce6c3497f572a.jpeg

But Live Weather is another story.

1 Like

They have already stated at the dev support forum that while the current snow system could be improved, this issue is not on their short term roadmap.

Hopefully someone will make an addon to disable snow or fix this issue soon because at the moment its pretty difficult to fly on vatsim in areas with snow.

I just wanted to share that I use Zinertek runway/taxi textures for a long time already and for me the ground at airports looks pretty good during snow. I must admit it’s not always for all taxiways (in ENGM it was pretty bad, but so is the default airport itself so that might had been something).

Anyway, I’m not sure if its from Zinertek but if so, you might want to consider check that out. Here are some shots from Salt Lake City with the snow preset weather type.

2 Likes

The sim KNOWS what are runways & Taxiways, and airport traffic & non traffic areas.
SO how difficult can it be for the sim to control the depiction of snow on them ?

Roads may be a little more difficult (at least very small roads), but as the sim seems capable of driving cars on most roads, so it obviously must know about those ones, and “could” control the snow depiction on those as well.

Just needs to be thought about, prioritized, and addressed. ?

Not just swept to the side of the road and forgotten :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah oke… And untill that gets prioritized you can always check out other available suggestions if it bothers you much. Just wanted to share as I remembered this topic coming by recently.

1 Like

Many thanks for that Tip. :+1:

I just installed Zinertek runway/taxi textures after seeing your recommendations, and what a BIG difference it made,

ie Approach to 36 @ KOSH (live weather 1/4/2022)

I can see the runway !!!

Looks pretty close to a similar Real World Runway when there is a layer of snow on the ground … (Note: Different airport )

5 Likes

OMG – I love it !!! Its a Game Changer when flying in the winter, when there is snow !!!

1 Like

Just had to post one more shot of the snow @ KOSH

Even the Snow coveted airport, has me thinking of SimVenture’s Oshkosh 2022

Interesting indeed :+1:

Will you please come back here and report in case you run into airports STILL covered by snow even with the Zinertek addon?

That is just to know whether all airports are “safe” from snow with that addon or whether there are still those that are under snow cover (for instance I can see that while the runways are fine, the taxiways not always; how about aprons?).

Thanks!

Taxiways are still clearer than their surround Grass.

I cans see in RW, that Runways would be a higher priority to keep cleared as well as possible, at an expense of a slight dusting on the taxiways.

May not be a “perfect” simulation, but a significant step forwards – without having to wait for a Asobo solution.

1 Like

Maybe one day, will will see AI Snow Plough, clearing the snow at airport on MSFS -( instead of Fuel Tanker just driving around aimlessly, on the taxiways )

If / when technically possible would be a nice Addon that might sell well (Hint Hint)

But lets not waste Asobo’s time with this, at least not for a few years !!

BTW very Cool Driveable Fire Truck by Wombii – even shoots out water/foam, and works in MP as well !!!

1 Like

Hiya! Do you mind checking if LOWI is showing the runway with this Zinertek addon? And maybe a full name so I can download the right one. Might finally make winter not so terribble