Gets hung at the welcome screen

The other day I installed a 3rd party add on for the CRJ and after I started MSFS the game hung at the welcome screen. I stopped the program, restarted it and no matter what I selected, e.g. activities, free flight, etc it hung. So I did a total deinstall and a clean install that took a day and a half on a souped up gaming computer. The community folder was empty and the same thing happened. I started all over again and this time I was able to select an activity and the game hung as it was, I think, searching for what seems to be a missing file. I am going to deinstall for the third time and install on a different drive. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Try this:
Go to the Official One Store folder in your PC.
Delete the fs-base folder and the fs-base-ui-pages folder.
Restart the sim and see if that helps.

1. Can you please tell us all exactly what CRJ addon you installed.
  2. Please also confirm that you never have installed any sort of Google map replacement for Bing scenery . (even if you don’t have it installed now )

This is the addon : Working Title CJ4 v0.12.11. Yes, I am guilty. I did use the google map replacement and it is still installed.

I am sorry I am 81 and find some things hard. Can you be more specific about this one store folder? Is that the actual name of the folder? What directory is in?

Are you an MS Store version or a Steam install?
MS Store:
c:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore

Steam:
C:\Users[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\OneStore

OK, it may be that the Google Map addon has messed up your Host file.

Typically, your Host file should have no entries in it, unless you have installed the Google map addon, but if you have an empty community folder, then that may be the issue.

I would suggest that you restore your host file back to having no entries in it…

I you don’t know how to do that, and a Google search does not help, come back, but I am sure there are better explanation on the Internet about restoring the Host file, than I can type here.

You might just try, with empty community folder, re-installing the Good map mod, and then starting MSFS, with what it has put in the community folder. – see if MSFS then Boots correctly …

The hosts file can be pretty much empty, really. When I get back to my desk I will check on the contents of mine.

The only entry you might want is this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

It sits in a protected folder, namely “C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc”, and to edit it you would need to launch the likes of Notepad elevated, so that it can write into that folder.

Moved to #self-service:install-performance-graphics

These are the original contents of my Windows 7 machines hosts file, with some work related stuff omitted.

You can see that both the IPv4, and IPv6 loopback addresses are commented out.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost