Gigantic terrain spikes around KOMA

I have seen the terrain spikes that are purportedly in an upcoming fix, but this is different. I was in the clouds on approach to KOMA, and then out of nowhere ran into gigantic towers of terrain. That’s one way to end a 3-hour flight…

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Wow! I haven’t seen that before!

Is it reproducible, i.e. if you close MSFS and re-run it and go to the same location do you experience the same ‘features’?

If so, please do file a report at zendesk.

If you are not seeing it happen again then please post back so we can close this thread.

Regards

I am hopping right back in now.

@tamalien , they are still there. I departed from RWY 32L at KOMA and they are to the northwest of the airport. Here, on the runway, you can see them reflected in the MFD:

Here is roughly their location on the VFR Map:

I also took a short video (Just uploaded and processing at the time of reply):

I tested in all weather conditions and times of day. Completely relaunched the game 3 times. They were the exact same terrain spikes every single time. There was definitely foliage and buildings on them, in fact as you can see some buildings get caught up on the sides of the terrain. Looks like there are a couple of highway bridges that are screwed up nearby as well as some lower terrain weirdness further off to the northwest that I didn’t investigate closer, because it is after midnight :slight_smile:

Thank you for hearing me out, and I will also pass this information along to the Zendesk team.

2 Likes

I went ‘sightseeing’ to the same location and totally confirm your observations.

Thanks for filing a ticket with Zendesk.

This isn’t like the other scenery spikes issue, as you say. These don’t disappear when approaching them, like the other ones!

Is this different to all the other random spikes. Asobo have stated they expect a fix at next release. There’s a giant one on the approach to Girona for me that doesn’t disappear.

I filed a ticket on Zendesk as well and referenced this thread.

It is hard to know for sure if it is different to all the other scenery spikes… the general issue well documented elsewhere, to the best of my knowledge, have scenery spikes that can be seen from afar and disappear as one approaches them. These spikes exist up close which may indicate a DEM data issue.

Zendesk can investigate for sure, given they have been given a link to this thread.

@OneFang666 If the spike you are reporting is persistent and can be seen close up then by all means file a ticket with Zendesk or post the location here in this thread, where hopefully they will see it.

I freely admit that this could be a symptom of the exact issue they have identified, in which case the spikes reported here in this thread should disappear when the update goes live.

Thanks. So I got really close to it and it DID disappear and become a little bit of water; so looks like the known issue (Girona)

1 Like

I can also confirm they are not disappearing when getting close. In fact, it causes a collision if you hit it. They also get bigger and thicker as you approach. (my aircraft is now in for repairs!)

I will say this, KOMA has always had this issue since release.

I’ve been playing since August, and for the first time I am encountering these weird (and obvious) errors in the graphical representation of surrounding terrain, and in areas where I’ve previously flown and never seen such issues. I’ve not changed any settings, which leads me to believe it might be patch related? These were taken around the SIGNA intersection between Tahoe (KTRK) and San Jose (KSJC) and also on approach into KSJC. They seem to resolve as I get closer to them, but it’s curious.

This is the classic known issue that has materialised since the last sim update…that should be fixed soon according to last week’s developer’s update.

I received an acknowledgement back from Zendesk that they added the issue around KOMA to the internal bug tracker.

1 Like

Saw this tonight, nearly flew into the thing in the darkness! Hope these issues get fixed in the World Up[date this week like was Asobo have said.

Answer provided in this discussion signifying the resolution by the update to come on 02/11.

Update delayed to Feb. 16th, so 1.5 months since introduction by the December update.

Wait again and see

Seen spikes near LSZX, that is Schänis Airport, Switserland. No mods, Bing is on. They disappear on approach.

This is a well known issue that is reportedly due to be fixed in the next update.

The issue concerning KOMA is not quite the same, as has been mentioned in this thread.

They key difference is that the ‘spikes’ around KOMA do not disappear as they are approached.

It appears to me that since world update 3 this issue of terrain spikes North West of KOMA is now fixed.

If anyone is still experiencing this issue (specific to KOMA) please report back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.