Giving up on simming after update V?

How do you know it will be “drastically”

1 Like

Is WU6 putting LODs back to the way they were BEFORE SU5?
Whilst searching the internet I came across this publicly accessible page:
https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/articles/1538/lod-management-since-xbox-su5.html
I am no doubt misinterpreting the bit that says
On PC version, we’ve decided to flip back to the former LOD behaviour, so your users will see the exact same behaviour as they had in Sim Update 4.
Or is that just something to do with add-on scenery? Or something else altogether? Or nothing at all?

1 Like

So proud of the moderators not to delete this thread outright…I would’ve.

It would have been better to cite
https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/articles/1538/lod-management-since-xbox-su5.html
at the beginning of your thread.
That would have saved a lot of trouble.

Your critique is welcome !
Yet nobody cares about disappointment or hurt feelings.
bye, walter

Please can you explain why please, so that I can understand. I made mistakes in the initial posting, for sure, for which I apologise.

I discovered that link less than an our ago; I felt it didn’t belong as a response to any particular person’s response, so I added it at top level as a response to my own post. That seemed a logical place to put it, but it seems that’s possibly not convention?

Don’t understand the bit about hurt feelings, sorry.

I don’t know, that’s what I hope.

I fly IFR. Almost daily. And not only have I not suffered from everything else you listed, I also have no issues with IFR flying, with the lone exception being the u-turn bug on the extremely rare occasions I use the default ATC. But I usually use pilot2ATC, or just control myself if I’m using nothing at all, and I’ve flown all kinds of approaches with all kinds of aircraft into airports all over the planet without much in the way of issues.

Of course, some things work better than others, so for example, VNAV isn’t working yet on the FBW A32NX, so if you’re going to shoot a GPS approach, you have to either handfly it, or become intimately familiar with the autopilot mode that enables you to control the pitch of your descents. Most approaches have a -3.0° glidepath, whether it’s an actual ILS glideSLOPE, or it’s close relative on the GPS side, the plane won’t do it on it’s own, unlike some other planes, that will intercept it and fly it all the way down to minimums without you as the PIC having to do a thing aside from ensuring your autopilot is setup properly in advance. But that is not Asobo’s responsibility.

So, I’m going to ask you the same thing I’ve asked a whole lot of other people without ever having gotten a good answer to date, what are the flaws with flying IFR in the sim, assuming you as a pilot actually know what you’re doing, and have a good grasp of the aircraft that you’re trying to do it with?

As for the “point” of this entire thread, no, I’m not giving up on simming. Why would I? The performance is better than ever (it’s as if someone gifted me with a new GPU that’s so advanced, it’s a 50-series or something similar that doesn’t even exist yet), the graphics are as good as or better than ever, the choices I have in airplanes is growing by the day, with an alleged 100% complete study-level A320 from Fenix and a PMDG 737 set to be available any day now, I’m as happy as I’ve been since I first got my VR headset.

As for CTDs, well, except for flights that I leave paused for 10-12+ hours and then try to hop in and make VR work, I only extremely rarely get them, and even the extreme example of the super long pause only occasionally causes them. Then again, I have no overclocks, the only thing in my Community folder is mods known to be SU5 compatible, and it was completely empty when I actually did the upgrade, I’m running a full 32GB of RAM, and I don’t seem to have any esoteric hardware issues. The reality is that most people with CTD problems are ultimately their own worst enemy, as it’s something specific to that computer that is the cause, not MSFS itself, even though there are a lot of people who like to think otherwise, quite possibly including yourself.

That would amount to an extraordinarily large number of threads to merge into one, but I actually like the idea.

7 Likes

a32NX VNAV not working yet: that’s just a thing. They will get there (or maybe they won’t; as furlough has ended I guess they’ve lost resources because things have slowed down a lot since then). I don’t count that as a bug. It will be interesting to see how that goes with Fenix coming onboard with the CEO. I’m not so sure LNAV works particularly well: I (and several people I know) are reticent to fly on VATSIM because of that and also the general lack of facilities for holds etc. Again, maybe one day those will come along. That’s an A32NX model thing not MSFS. Depends how you like to fly.

The key point for me is the graphics. I’m glad they work amazingly for you but for me (and others) they don’t - far, far from it. I like to spend time looking out the cockpit window virtually sightseeing the scenery around me enroute. The way the graphics are right now, that is pointless. This is further compounded by a bug in the drone camera - if you look long enough you’ll see it (for me and others) roll slowly slowly left ruining the view if you’re day dreaming out of the window (we think a rounding error introduced in SU5).

At cruise, the graphics are frankly rubbish for me (as some other people have observed - like running FSX). At a low cruise the graphics plod in at an agricultural rate in blocks ruining the immersion (again not just me observing that).

So it’s probably unfair for me to say IFR per se (although would you fly VatSim or pilotedge and trust the plane to be able to do what the controllers ask you to do? Fenix should sort all those issues); more that whilst flying IFR like flight profiles the graphics for me, and others, who maybe place a stronger emphasis on looking out of or outside of the window, have taken a huge step backwards in SU5. I - sadly! - used to take screenshots as I toured the world, now I would see no point with the graphics I was getting after SU5.

It would be interesting to hear if maybe your style of flying just isn’t impacted by the graphics issues or (and it seems this way) you are getting crisp graphics at FL360 and no LOD popping and full quality texture tiles nearly to the horizon at FL160, along with increased frame rates. Did you perhaps fiddle with the LOD values in the CFG file?

Yes, merging into one thread a good idea, then people not having the issues could isolate themselves from the unhappy experience some of us are having. Maybe so many separate threads because it’s a minority but still not a small number of people having these issues?

On the other hand it is completely possible with the sim after SU5 to get something like this:
[Extreme Graphics MSFS 2020 - Ultra Realistic Landing at Doncaster - YouTube]

1 Like

Amazing - not what I’m seeing. Maybe they played with LOD and other settings? Maybe looking sideways makes a difference? Maybe time of day videoed. Maybe server they are attached to? Maybe YouTube compression does something? I too have seen people on YouTube posting incredible videos. I don’t have a 3090, I don’t expect the impossible, just not graphics that arrive like they are being delivered on buses at times. (Any YouTube videos from FL360 out of interest). There is definitely something very odd going on with the sim to have such varied experiences from SU5 :frowning:

See this old image. At FL240.
I had flown in circuits over this area serval times, with 100GB cache file setup
Look at where the graphics turn to terrible textures - this is less than half way up my view to horizon.
Yes I know there is a LOD CFG fiddle, but… it was never this way before SU5.
As you get higher it gets worse: switch view then switch back again and it started loading from scratch. I have 32Gb of RAM not a 3GB Xbox.

No, I gave it up for most of SU4. I wish I flew more then and then sat out SU5 lol.

Definitely playing less since SU5. The shimmering/jaggies are just completely awful, as is the low draw distance and Pop-in. But the main problem is the already mentioned, completely borked anti-aliasing

Until they fix things I will stick to P3Dv5.2 it is useless trying to fly while the sim is in this state

No, but I certainly will be running X Plane forever.

So this is what you call “rubbish”? I took this just a few short hours ago, just for giggles and because I liked the view.

And then there’s this. It’s not a cruise phase (obviously), but it is “low”. This ruins your immersion?

And just in case you’re talking about shots from inside the cockpit (which is actually where I spend most of my time, though a disproportionate amount of screenshots I take are taken from outside), here’s one of those. The DA-62 doesn’t exactly have the most open cockpit out there, but it was something from the same flight that I could grab quickly.

I swear, sometimes I see all the complaints about this or that (and not just graphics) which are oh, so easy to find here, and I actually wonder if I’m using the same software, because so much of what I’ve read simply is not happening to me.

If your graphics don’t look like this, rather than pointing fingers at Asobo, you probably should be pointing them at your computer. Because if mine can do this, yours should be able to as well. OTOH, if you graphics do look like mine, and you’re complaining, I do not know what to say.

I usually fly in VR, but I was busy dealing with some other things for this particular flight that wearing a VR headset would not have been conducive to me getting anything else done, so I got a rare chance to get some in flight snaps. Usually I just try to get one or two after I land and turn VR off. I’m not about to give up the immersion of VR, even if it is a little softer, almost a bit out of focus looking compared to a 2D display, I was pretty impressed with what I saw today. That fuzziness goes with the territory, in another gen or three will likely improve to the point that you cannot see a difference. But that day is not this day. Neither is it the point of our conversation.

As for the A32NX, I’m well aware of it’s shortcomings and the fact that it would be problematic to try it on VATSIM. But, since I so rarely find areas staffed when and where I would like to fly there, I haven’t bothered with it. And I am looking forward to the Fenix plane, as well as the 737 from PMDG, both of which I think are due out soon. I have no intention of buying every single airliner that will eventually come down the pipe, but a couple of Boeings and a couple of Airbuses will do just fine for me, and the more realistic and complicated, the better. I also wonder what the Fenix plane is going to do the FBW’s efforts, but it’s not going to be inexpensive, so a lot of people will stick with FBW if for no other reason than the price. Not to mention that, while similar, they are two different aircraft.

I can’t say I have noticed any issues with ground quality since one of the two hot fixes… it was softened before that, but the reality is when I’m flying a tubeliner, I spend most of my time with my head buried in the cockpit, especially when I’m flying the A32NX and trying to manually hit those SID and STAR speed and altitude restrictions, that I didn’t even notice. Regardless, it’s fixed now.

As for LOD popping, yes, I’ve noticed a moderate amount of that from time to time, but for me anyway, that’s nothing new. It has always happened, especially when flying around mountains or canyon diving in the Grand Canyon (which I have not yet done since SU5- well, the Grand Canyon part…), and I cannot say that I’ve noticed any increase, significant or otherwise.

I did tweak my config file, but that was literally just yesterday, to a 2.000 on both 2D and VR. If there are any differences, they’re subtle enough that I didn’t notice them, either.

One trend I have noticed is people posting screenshots that allegedly show “proof” of their graphics woes, but it’s done with arrows because the effect is so subtle, or even worse, I’ve seen some where the snapshot was blown up to like 500% of it’s actual size, only to also have arrows used. I figure if you have to try that hard to point out supposed flaws, then they really aren’t flaws. Either that or many of the people complaining have superman vision and see things the rest of us don’t.

5 Likes

Exactly, if they just post the clean pic without arrows etc, any normal person just looking without preconcenptions of “graphical downgrades” couldn’t see any issues in them. Such sneaky have Asobos alleged downgrades been in many places that you can hardly even notice them!

2 Likes

As I said, the graphics FOR ME (and I’m not alone) have deteriorated terribly since SU5. FOR ME. Your graphics are great, yes far better than mine, mine were never as good as that (I’m running a 1070 at 4k) but it was OK now it is far from OK. Yes, I wonder if we’re using the same software :slight_smile: crackers isn’t it :frowning: It isn’t a machine setting thing - unless I should have changed settings when SU5 came out to keep my graphics the same quality as they used to be. I noticed LOD popping turn bad as I was flying a tour of Alaska (yes it wasn’t perfect) so I was in the same area before and after and noted the change instantly. Also round KSFO terrible LOD popping when it never used to do that, and I’ve flown around there a lot. As I say, there is something very odd the disparity in graphics experiences for some people - thanks for sharing yours. Hope you enjoy Fenix and PMDG when they come out. Your most difficult decision then will be which to fly :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel the same. I too dropped £120 for the Premium Deluxe and feel upset at the visual downgrade :frowning:

I had the game looking so good in SU4. Really they should have separate dev streams for XB & PC.

3 Likes