GKS Mig-21Bis

hopping to see a reply from developer .

Hoping that one day the developer uploads the update to the remaining sites where the Mig is sold.

It’s available at Orbx. Not sure about Simmarket yet.

No its not.

For Orbx, it is…I downloaded it and am using it as of two days ago from there. If you are saying no it’s not to Simmarket, then I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe later this week.

Yes, I meant Simmarket.

Now that the update has finally reached OrbX, I have been able to make a first test flight to evaluate the improvements compared to the previous version.

Long story short => I am disappointed.

Positive:

• External loadout visible from cockpit (FINALLY)
  • Sounds are much better !
  • aircraft seems to be easier to trim (for elevator)

Negative:

• Taxi speed is ridiculous. The brakes almost can’t stop the plane. I mean, how could this be validated from the testers ?
  • General engine performance seems dubious. The engine thrust seems very effective even on the lowest range of the throttle. I’m not a flight model expert at all, I’m just saying this feels really weird.
  • Approach is now very easy. No more fear to get below 400 km/h. Challenge is completely gone, that’s the most disappointing aspect, almost…
  • The airbrake seems as erratic as before, if not more. I could even reach a situation where it would not visually deploy, but still obliterate my airspeed from 800 to 400 km/h in less than 3 seconds. This is ridiculous.

I’m glad I kept a copy of the previous version on my computer. Would be cool to get the previous flight model on top of the improved 3D model and sounds. Not sure how to proceed though…

1 Like

You could try just copying the previous versions flight model cfg file and engines cfg file over if you’re on PC. I agree with all of your points though.

Hello everyone,
after my last post I analyzed the old and new mig21 config files.
For the engine, the dry thrust of the old flight model was much lower than the current one. An intermediate setting also appears in the new engine.cfg. Using it I noticed that: a) the behavior on the ground improved only slightly b) the performance degradation was effective at all altitudes and the (clean) aircraft in any case did not exceed Mach 1.5 (!).
Restoring the old rolling values I didn’t notice any visible difference (!).
I too, when I tried the new release, was disconcerted and disappointed by the behavior of the new version, but I wanted to do another test of a different type: I went back to the Mig21 DCS manual and tried to follow their instructions to the letter. I realized that the landing technique (but also for take-off) I used was absolutely wrong and more similar to landing an F14 - the landing always took place with the AOA warning light always on(!). Reproducing the “according to manual” landing with the new release is no less complicated, but if you carefully respect the DCS manual the landing succeeds correctly and with minimal switching on of the AOA light (which works). If you do not respect the parameters - first of all correct distance and altitude at the beginning of the maneuver you will find yourself having to use the airbrakes, even at unsuitable times, but the safety limit of 400 per hour must still be respected or you will get a disastrous fall. All aspects examined here: engine thrust, roll speed and airbrake effect have been changed in the new release; I assume not only at the level of general settings but also with the addition of source code (for example for the engine). Doing so indicates a large investment, so the real question is whether which version best matches the real flight model. The redesign work was remarkable so I am inclined to believe that the recent upgrade is more correct, albeit with all its limitations. The resulting aircraft is certainly much more agile than the previous one (a typical characteristic of MIGs), even if the thrust management needs some improvement. I find the changes to the airbrakes adequate: in the previous version their authority was excessive making them practically unusable, but on the real aircraft they are also used often. The taxiing speed is terrible, but that is DEFINITELY a MSFS2020 ground physics management flaw that ALL sim writers complain about. Personally, for taxing, I set the throttle so that the “yellow” lights go off and then I constantly use not only the brake control on the tiller but also the front wheel brake (lever located on the dashboard to the left of the gunsight). It works and doesn’t “damage” anything; even in the real airplane that circuit is robust and supports incredible loads. The real plane itself is incredible: on YouTube there is a video in which mig21 (clean) take off and land on a (prepared) dirt runway!!!
The roll speed should perhaps be increased a little but the considerations made in my previous posts apply.
Best regards

1 Like

But that’s the point: prior to the update the taxi behavior was much better.
Also, prior to the update, you really had to fear about going under 400 km/h during landing, because you would drop like a stone.

After the update, I almost made all of the approach and landing just between 350 and 400 km/h like it was nothing… And this with two R27s and R73 under the wings (not sure about the missile names, but basically two small and two big ones).

I also dislike the fact that the plane doesn’t bleed any speed in turns anymore. I must have pulled 4 or 5 Gs during my test flight, if not more, and the speed needle stayed happilly around 800 or 600 km/h without moving. I couldn’t even stall…

On a positive note, I think I like the new afterburner. I haven’t set any button for it, but having the throttle set to 100% and right-clicking the throttle lever in the cockpit does the trick for now.

Anyone sees the update 2.0.1 available at Simmarket?

Nope. Been watching everyday.

1 Like

Did you email Simmarket to see if they received files and maybe forgot to upload the update?

Hi everyone.
Certainly in the old version the taxi was adequate but the dry thrust was 400 units less than the current one. It turned out to be a significantly underpowered simulated aircraft with “flat iron” landing dynamics. A real plane with similar characteristics would have caused more deaths from landing accidents than enemy offense… So the old flight model was still incorrect. With the new version, by setting the parameters of the Mig21 DCS for landing by going down to 350 km/h, once I crashed to the ground (I was too low) and the second time I recovered badly and was forced to repeat the circuit. It’s no longer the crazy roller coaster it used to be, but it’s not easy. Simply with practice you have acquired a lot of “handle”, and you are able to overcome particularly difficult situations. The 5g vitara: you don’t specify whether you did it with or without a post burner. If you do it with the post burner inserted (and this applies to ALL planes) your speed is not reduced or decreases very little. However, what will vary greatly will be the fuel supply, which will drop sharply. This is especially true for both real and simulated MIg21. Furthermore, and this is faithfully reproduced by the flight model, if you use the afterburner for a long time for maneuvers at high g numbers, the consumption is so high that it changes the position of the aircraft’s center of gravity. On the real plane this has always been a condition of serious danger that has never been resolved. In the simulator (with the first two warning lights lit red due to empty fuel) while I was pulling the second turn at 7g the plane went into an uncontrollable spin. Being at 13000m I attempted hospitalization without obtaining results. I also tried the maneuver of desperation: I opened the brake parachute (used as an anti-screw parachute) which actually changed the parameters of the screw, but recovery was still not possible.
However, if you DON’T use the afterburner when turning, the degradation becomes evident but you need to be clear about what you’re talking about. At the first turn there will not be a large loss of speed because the inertia will tend to counteract this, but if you continue to perform multiple 5g turns in sequence or continue to maintain the 5g turn for 360° or more the drop will be noticeable.
Don’t get me wrong, I am happy and I thank you for your opinions and notes which have allowed me to deepen my knowledge of an aircraft that has always been legendary for me.
Thank you all

1 Like

I wish Orbx let us roll back to previous versions. I’d gladly take the previous version and overwrite the sounds with the new.