Glider flight training "Advanced winch launch". No wheel brakes?

Hi fellow simmers,

Today, I was trying to go through the glider flight trainings since I decided to play on VR and that gives me much more accuracy for landings.

I passed the first two with ease but I can’t seem to complete the third one, the “advanced winch launch”. My issue is only when landing. I butter the landing, level the wings, speed brakes at max but my brakes won’t work.

I use a Thrustmaster rudder that has worked with pretty much every plane on the game but doesn’t seem to do anything with the glider of this tutorial. I was wondering… don’t they have wheel brakes?

Thank you!

Hello @EleXecuter,

Unlike powered aircraft where the wheel brakes are activated using toe presses on your rudder pedals, brakes on a glider function somewhat differently. You activate the wheel brakes in a glider by fully deploying your spoilers/speed brakes.

Hope that helps!

MSFS Team

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I must have missed that during the training flights :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t been able to take off in any of the glider tutorials. What’s up? I thought I was suppose to hit num zero and Enter to begin, but not so…

Move the rudder!

I have the same problem, nothing happens. On youtube, there is a person holding the plane straight and waving to the tow plane, my plane just lays dead on one wingtip

Tried that…no joy

Unfortunately this didn’t fix it for me. I have spoilers on a slider, verified that it goes to 100 % but no wheel braking. I also added a button to extend spoilers fully and unmapped the slider in case it interferes somehow. And of course I tried mouse cursor to drag the handle to all possible positions and right clicking it, also at 100 %.

So, I wonder if I still missed something.

Anyway it might be a good idea to add a new mapping for glider wheel brake so everyone can use their most favourite inputs for it.

AFAIK, there’s no such thing as “wheel brake”. You were 100% positive you dumped all the water in the ballast?

Yes, at least it gets checked in the task list. It is just impossible to get the glider to stop before the winch, which fails the training.

The fact it gets checked from the least doesn’t really tell if it’s emptied. You should pull the lever or keep pushing the physical button you assigned to “dump water ballast” a few seconds. You’ll clearly hear the water being dumped.

I will try that then, thanks! There is something to improve in this training mission for sure. In current form it causes a lot of confusion.

Perhaps my original problem was that I had parking brake switch on, and maybe that interfered with the actual brakes. I guess I need to verify that.

I did notice that toggle water ballast valve key didn’t move the dump lever, so maybe that played a part as well.

E: Yes, I’m pretty sure that if there is continuous input for parking brake, then glider wheel brake doesn’t work.