GNS 530 dimension question

I’m building a full-size instrument panel to use in VR (along with Leap Motion for hand position awareness).
I’m having some issues determining the size of the GNS 530. By specs, the unit measures 6.25" x 4.6" with a 4" x 3" (5" diagonal) display screen. I lifted the graphic of the faceplate from the Garmin Pilots Manual. Then I imported into Fusion360 making it the correct size. Yet the screen does not measure 5", it measures 5.3" Is the screen actually 5.3" in the real GNS 530?

Basic geometry would say if the screen is 3 x 4 then the diagonal would have to be 5. I wonder if the diagram is adding in the bezel in its computations??
Regards

I guess the drawing in the user manual is not an accurate representation of the unit. Screen size and button placement is all wrong compared to pics of it.
Funny thing is there doesn’t seem to be a dimensional drawing anywhere.

1 Like

I used these dimensions. Along with the 6.25 x 4.58 dimensions

Buy the LCD screen first, say 5" or whatever is available in those dimensions. If u are in US, buy a cheap digital caliper (harbor Freight) THEN scale your build around the actual dimensions of the LCD you bought. If you use actual Garmin specs your bezel will be different to accommodate the cheap LCDs available

1 Like

Thanks, but I won’t be adding a screen as I fly in VR. Which is why it needs to be correctly dimensioned.

Ahhhh. That clears up everything.

I wonder if 3 to 5mm off the real thing here and there would make a tactile difference with VR.
I guess it does…

With as many people making GNS radios, one would think a dimensional drawing would be ubiquitous. But I can’t find one anywhere. Strange…