PMS50 GNS530 mod

Great, thanks! I

1 Like

(Off topic… How do you like the Reverb G2? I’m thinking of getting one. I have a 2070 Super, too, but only a 4790K at 4Ghz (I haven’t OC’d it) and 16GB on a MSI Gaming 5 with 2x1TB SSD’s.

25-30 fps is all you need regularly, despite what people say, although I’ve heard differently about VR, except that, the G2 is ■■■■ good on the resolution, so it may be ok there.
Hmm, I avoided Lasik. I’m 57 and have excellent reading ability… because my distance isn’t so hot. From what I’ve heard, lasik will improve my distance, but wreck my close up, just like my glasses do. I’d rather be able to read and wear glasses for distance. So, you may be right about needing a prescription. Doesn’t hurt to go get checked. It could also be the G2…
P.S. the 2070 Super is basically the equivalent of a 2080 by default, especially if you got one of the good quality versions).

Interesting but just a little bit off-topic. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And I thought you guys are on 20’s :joy:

Happy New Year! :grin:

1 Like

Well, just because I’m 57 in years, does not guarantee I actually have that level of maturity… :roll_eyes:

You know how they have dog years?

Male years work in the opposite direction, with a logarithmic scale that increases the scalar as the years increase… Just ask any woman :laughing:

1 Like

@FlyingsCool5650, so far I’m loving the G2s, but I’m such a VR noob that frankly I don’t know what’s good and what isn’t! I originally got my 2070S to try to get a few more years out of a 4790 non-K, but it rapidly became clear that wasn’t a marriage made in heaven, so I broke down and not only went for the 10600K, but except for the PSU (which wasn’t original) and a couple of SSDs (which also weren’t original), I basically scrapped the entire old 'puter in favor of my new beast.

When I first got Lasik they told me I’d probably need readers sooner than I otherwise would have, but now at 51 I probably would have needed them anyway so everything has come full circle. And it’s funny because this whole experience has made me realize it’s been some 15 years since I had the Lasik done, and I haven’t seen an eye doctor once during that stretch. It’s entirely possible my vision has slowly degraded and that a new script would do me good, in and out of VR. But my disability makes it soooo very hard to even get out of bed, much less leave the house, so we’ll see if I actually do anything about it.

And yes, my 2070S won the silicon lottery, it holds a +175/+1000 OC like a champ, but try to take it even one tick higher and bad things start happening. I’ve even started running the render scaling at 100, which is pert near native for the G2s, and it’s not exactly giving me 90 (much less 144) fps, but whatever it is giving me is fine. The only time I can even see it is looking out the side on my takeoff roll, which you shouldn’t be doing in the first place. I’ve also been slowly raising other settings, even got the volumetric clouds to High, and it’s still good.

A few more software tweaks, either from Nvidia, MS (from a windows/WMR/OXR perspective), and/or Asobo from an MSFS perspective, and I may have a real winner on my hands. I also would like to try running it through Steam, but believe it or not, I don’t eve know HOW to do that! My understanding is they have a VR utility that would allow me to bring things like Navigraph inside my VR session, which would be the bees knees.

But as with just about everything else VR related, I simply don’t know what I’m doing. You can see my entire settings lineup here. Plus, I’ve started slowly raising the FS settings since that post, and it still seems fine.

I may be back on GA stuff for the time being, that Carenado PA44 really sunk it’s teeth into me. And now I really want to start working the Baron out some as well, but WT’s CJ4 is also calling me… Too little time, too many planes lol.

Speaking of which, I think I’m gonna go work the Baron out on a medium range flight, maybe Key West to Jacksonville? Dunno, I’ll figure something out.

Chat laters!

BTW, you ever give any thought to doing KPIE as your next airport project?

1 Like

Just a little? :wink:

1 Like

@ScorpionFilm422

Happy new year to you and all… and thank you for all your great work on the GNS530 Mod.
Just gets better and better !!

While testing something else, I noticed there still may be an issue with the nearest VOR page.

It appears to be displaying TRUE Bearings, as opposed to magnetic bearing.

The Screen shot below, shows a Plane relative to the Vor DCA. (Active Paused)
Little Nav Map shows that the VOR has a TRUE (From ) bearing that matches the Mag Bearing in the GNS530 nearest VOR page.
The requited Magnetic Bearing is 9 deg different.

SO, a re you 100% sure that page is coded to display magnetic ??

yes, it might have been clearer if I had drawn the TO bearing line, as opposed to the FROM, but the issue is still there.

1 Like

A happy new year also to you.

Yes, the use of magnetic variation is not very clear in the sim and some have reported issues here.
For all the nearest pages, the MSFS code uses fs9 variables to get the bearing and it provides only true bearing.
I can fix that by myself but I must be sure that real life is showing magnetic bearings here (I think yes).

2 Likes

Well, you copied the screen from the RW one, and that has the 0Mag units, so it should be magnetic.
As a pilot, everything is in magnetic— so the GPS, that does work internally with True, should be displaying magnetic to the pilot, using its internal Mag Var tables.

Just because the Asobo code may be displaying true, means absolutely Nothing, apart from the obvious …

1 Like

Yes sure. I agree.
What I mean is that it should be corrected at ASOBO level.
Anyway, I will do the fix myself with a hidden flag to disable the fix from the config file.

2 Likes

I did a quick scan through the Garmin manual, could not spot ONE page that displayed TRUE headings.

It could be YEARs before Asobo gets to fix such “major” error like true/mag bearings, when there are far more important things to do, like VR, and more Eye Candy.

You are lucky that the GNSX30 units do not have Auto Pilots in them … AP kernal code is another Pandora’s Box in MSFS

1 Like

As far as KPIE is concerned, I have so many other projects in front of it. I’ve got a couple airports I’d like to do first, but, it’s so hard, I’ve put it off.

When @ScruffyDuckJon releases ADE for FS2020, I’ll get into it more. Right now you have to build everything from scratch. Hopefully Jon is able to do what he used to do as far as reading the airport files, so I can just modify what’s there. It’ll make development much faster.

Happy New Year, hope you’re doing well.

1 Like

Found a crash when dialing in a VOR on the WPT / VOR page. Maybe I was dialing too fast but it showed all NaN in the fields then everything froze.

ADE 2020 public alpha was released on Christmas day

2 Likes

What is ADE 2020?

Google thinks it’s

https://www.amsterdam-dance-event.nl/en/rough-guides/ade-2020/

but Scruffyduck will tell you otherwise …

1 Like

Ref VOR BAL

Another example of the Nearest VOR displaying TRUE bearings 70 deg

Note the GNS430 is displaying the correct magnetic bearing of 81 deg on it’s nav 1 page

Back on the GNS530, the left side VOR/RAD is displaying the Correct magnetic FROM radial (TO = 362 - 280 = 81) which is magnetic and agrees with the 430

so maybe its only the Nearest VOR page that wrong

Other Nearest pages may also be wrong ??

All of the nearest pages are currently using true bearing.

OK, thanks … Asobo still have a lot to learn about aviation !!!