PMS50 GNS530 mod

I did a quick scan through the Garmin manual, could not spot ONE page that displayed TRUE headings.

It could be YEARs before Asobo gets to fix such “major” error like true/mag bearings, when there are far more important things to do, like VR, and more Eye Candy.

You are lucky that the GNSX30 units do not have Auto Pilots in them … AP kernal code is another Pandora’s Box in MSFS

1 Like

As far as KPIE is concerned, I have so many other projects in front of it. I’ve got a couple airports I’d like to do first, but, it’s so hard, I’ve put it off.

When @ScruffyDuckJon releases ADE for FS2020, I’ll get into it more. Right now you have to build everything from scratch. Hopefully Jon is able to do what he used to do as far as reading the airport files, so I can just modify what’s there. It’ll make development much faster.

Happy New Year, hope you’re doing well.

1 Like

Found a crash when dialing in a VOR on the WPT / VOR page. Maybe I was dialing too fast but it showed all NaN in the fields then everything froze.

ADE 2020 public alpha was released on Christmas day

2 Likes

What is ADE 2020?

Google thinks it’s

https://www.amsterdam-dance-event.nl/en/rough-guides/ade-2020/

but Scruffyduck will tell you otherwise …

1 Like

Ref VOR BAL

Another example of the Nearest VOR displaying TRUE bearings 70 deg

Note the GNS430 is displaying the correct magnetic bearing of 81 deg on it’s nav 1 page

Back on the GNS530, the left side VOR/RAD is displaying the Correct magnetic FROM radial (TO = 362 - 280 = 81) which is magnetic and agrees with the 430

so maybe its only the Nearest VOR page that wrong

Other Nearest pages may also be wrong ??

All of the nearest pages are currently using true bearing.

OK, thanks … Asobo still have a lot to learn about aviation !!!

You can’t prevent aging, but you can act immature for as long as you want. :stuck_out_tongue: (BTW, almost 50 myself).

And to remain on topic. YAY GNS530!!! It’s awesome!

1 Like

@ScorpionFilm422

As we go into 2021, would you care to share with us your thought on where you want to take your GNS530 mod this year.

In particular, how close you want to make it to the RW unit, or if you just want to make what is there in MSFS , function correctly.

Are you interested in making the Pages that you do have, look like the RW unit, or instead be a MSFS designed SIM version…

For example, nearest airport. FREQ

The MOD does not have freq displayed in same way.
Mod has variable DP, Real unit always display to 3 DP

Mod Flashes 2-3 time faster than RW unit, with equal mark space.
RW unit is about 3 times slower, and the Reverse Video is on for about twice the time of the normal non-reversed video.
(Easy code values change if that is where you want to go )

I do not think the RW unit distinguishes between CTF and uni, but whatever is there, uni, twr is always in lower case.

So, is this the sort of thing you would like reported to you, or only major BUGS. like Crashes, and text formatted outside of its allocated area.

What you have done with the GNS530 is amazing, and I;d like to take time to support & send in feedback, – just would like a better idea where you want to take the GNS530 MOD, and how much detail you want to try to reproduce,

3 Likes

The most important is functionality.
The sim still has some issues. The workarounds may solve them in much situation but not completly (ex adding waypoints sometimes not working or waypoints removed after activating approach).
This is priority.
Missing functionality is also a top priority (ex OBS if the kernel gives me the functionality).
Cosmetics things are importants but less. This stays a simulator. Now I’m happy if they are reported and I can fix them also as soon as it doesn’t require changing too much code (risk of side effects). For example changing the font is a no go for now.
For airport frequencies, I can fix the 3 digits display and the uppercase issue. The data itself (ex CTF) comes from the kernel and I cannot change that (by what?).

3 Likes

Here is a Formatting issue ( I mentioned a few weeks ago, but at the time, did not give specific details)

airspace-format

Reproduce:

Place aircraft at KMTN and look at “Nearest Airspaces”

Unfortunately, some airports have VERY LONG names … !!

Little Navmap has a database of the MSFS airports. Mine is located in:

C:\Users<yourr name>\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel\little_navmap_db\little_navmap_msfs.sqlite
You would need a sqlite reader to translate this to a CSV file, and then you can parse that CSV file for the data you’d like.

The fields are Name, City, state, region.

Strange that Baltimnore - Martin State is showing both CITY & NAME

Thanks.
You earned 5 stars for bug reporting!!!
Perfect information for me to reproduce and fix your issue in less than 2 minutes.

3 Likes

Well, thank you – if only I could fix all MY own bugs that quickly :wink:

It ironic … I have started to compare your GNS530, with the Garmin Trainer, side -by -side, in some detail, and in most case, when I find any significant difference, I prefer your GNS530 version over the official Garmin one !!!

3 Likes

Just curious if it’s a known bug or me simply not doing something…but sometimes, the vnav just won’t activate for me. I’ll enter all my parameters and then press enter, and nothing happens. Most of the time it works just fine, however sometimes I just can’t get it to activate and start a countdown.

First of all great job ! thank you for this wonderful mod !

Also got a question… Is there any plan to incorporate weather and traffic in to this mod ?

Thank you

They are both in it, in as much as the GNS530 supports both. In fact he extended it further than the actual one does by adding weather radar if you turn on an option in the config file. You can also get a key so it will download the latest METAR from the web (crapshoot, however, it matches ATIS at the airport, however :slight_smile:

Make sure you scroll through the pages. Turn the right little knob for the current page type (like route, maps, elevation maps in the maps page), and turn the right big knob to choose between different types of pages (Maps, Waypoints, Config/METAR I think it is).

I don’t believe anyone has implemented TCAS (for multiplayer traffic) yet.
SDK to date has no support ?

The VNAV has no physical action. It’s just a software tool to help you define your top of descent. It’s up to you to physically descent to the target WP.
The target VNAV waypoint must be part of your flight plan and it must be the next waypoint or any waypoint after it.
If you are already at the target altitude (±100ft) or below it, the VNAV will do nothing.
If your ground speed is less than 35 knots, no action too.

You can consult the GNS530 official documentation section 11 for further information about VNAV.

1 Like