PMS50 GNS530 mod

You “can” do all that Manually, (every time), but the Garmin will auto-tune the ILS to SBY, when you Load or Activate an approach with an ILS
So much less work load !!

And now it sounds line the GNS MOD will next version :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI, the GNS 530 froze on me tonight. I was just wanting to check out STARS so I went to procedures and arrivals. The whole unit then froze… No mods in my community folder.

Automatic update of approach frequencey is not yet available. Will be on next release (1.0.22).

2 Likes

Please install from the official link at the top of this topic.
You have downloaded the dev sources and not the release here.

2 Likes

I know that you want to help but if you want me to help, please give more precision if such things occur.
Without more information, this is more frustrating than helpful.
A freeze may come from the GPS itself but also from the sim’s kernel after sending an instruction to it (ex loading specific arrival waypoints). I need all the information, see some posts above, to try to reproduce the issue.

Have a look on Bug reporting section in the first post of this thread…

2 Likes

I did dl release, a quick “restart flight” button did the trick.

Good morning.

I’m having an problem with the labels and overlays on the GNS530 frozing when I switch aproaches.
Zoom level, navaids, distance, ETE, all froze and only change if I refresh the unit screen by opening procedures or other page and going back. I can zoom in and out but zoom label stil froze on the actual zoom number.

I’m having this issues in any flight.
Tested it 3x with the following flight: gps direct flight to KNGU, 60nm out, no aproach pre loaded.
Select ILS 10 and load it. No problems. Aproaching the airport, sintonize tower and ask permission to land. Receive the info to use airstrip 28. Select aproach RNAV 28, load and then activate it. Screen froze.

Using latest 1.0.21 version, displayed on the unit boot screen.

Edit: must have been user error, sorry. Cleared out community folder, redownloaded & installed mod, all is well.

Was: I’m experiencing the same problem with V21 (GPS does not init). MS store version, M20R, no other mods. Have not tried v20 yet.

1 Like

Just to follow-up, downloading from the link at the top solved the issue. I had always dl’d from Github and never had an issue until v21. Lesson learned.

Now, while I have your attention :grin:, a tiny little issue with tuning com frequencies. I use 25khz spacing and there are 4 frequencies that don’t display correctly. They are .13, .38, .63 and .88. They should display .12, .37, .62 and .87. The rest are fine, just these 4 are an issue. Note that the default, un-modded GNS has this problem as well. Anything you can do?

1 Like

Unfortunately not.
This is an information managed by the sim’s kernel. For the PGS, I just ask it to increase or decrease the decimal part.
You should have the issue with any GPS, do you?
Maybe you can report that to MSFS support.

1 Like

In next release, i will implement the standard airspace messages as they are described in the GNS530 documentation. There is nothing specific to a type of airspace here.
Just 4 kind of information: near, ahead, near and ahead, inside. The messages are disabled within 30nm of the destination airport if an approach is loaded.

4 Likes

Yes, a small bug. I will fix that.
It’s not really a freeze. The GPS stays in selection mode. You just have to push the right knob to unblock it.

2 Likes

I’d tried everything but push that knob! I will try this workaround, thank you.

Yes, it’s an Asobo issue for sure. Just hoping that you had access to that data. I’ll report it via Zendesk.

Thanks for your help and especially thank you for your work on this. It’s very greatly appreciated!

Interesting. There must be some type of classification, as, well, you’re always inside some type of airspace. Would be silly to message us on anything other than Class C or Class B, and I could see Class D maybe, but not really. I assume it’s altitude based? with some range above and below? And what about European and other country airspaces around the world? I don’t know how they classify their airspaces? Does Canada use US style?

Two more days to Sim Update 2… Eek! Gonna be interesting what’s been fixed and what’s been broken. All the issues I’ve reported are marked “solved”. I don’t imagine I’ll see the fixes here, but, maybe. In fact, with the last update, they fixed one issue I reported, but broke it in another way (Living World Config applicaiton).

This issue keeps coming up in the forum, where some think frequencies are “missing”, but its just the maths for the 8.33 kHz spacing, which is the old 25Hz / 3, so really is 8.33333333333333333… kHz spacing

This answers why these is no xxx.020 xxx.045 xxx.070 and xxx.095
and why some think they are missing and should be there …

833-freq

OK, now I have created this post, and re-read your question, it was about 25kHz spacing

OOOPS… but the above explains what some 8.33khZ frequency may appear to be missing to some.

Anyway, just out of interest, why are you using 25kHz spacing in 2020 ??

1 Like

For anyone following this channel and mod, I’d just like to give the donation link a bump! Outstanding work being done here, and a mod I enjoy immensely! If you have a bit to spare, consider making a donation to the guy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :moneybag: :christmas_tree:

https://pms50.com/fs2020/donateGNS530mod.html

4 Likes

+1 … The amount of time and dedication @ScorpionFilm422 has put into this Mod is truly amazing,

At least for me, it has transformed the “basic” Asobo C172 Steam, to one which is a delight (and now Challenge) to now fly, with such a realistic Modded GPS system.

3 Likes

Short answer: less clicking around finding freqs, (general laziness)

Longer answer: If you predominantly fly in US airspace there is no point to using 8.33khz. I predominantly fly in US airspace so I use 25khz spacing. Those 4 frequencies I mentioned are displayed incorrectly when using 25khz spacing. Not a big deal at all, just thought it could be fixed if that data was available.

Final answer: just being lazy :sunglasses:

Thanks for the 25khz tip – I should try that !!

A little more research, opened a new Pandora’s box … that RW Pilots and Flight Simmers (and GNS530 Modrs !!) may have to address in the Future.

Apparently – 8.33 kHz is not good enough for the FAA !!

The Digital Solution Instead of going the 8.33-spacing route, the FAA has decided to go digital.

• In addition to more frequencies, four for every 25 kHz slot on the dial, digital air-to-ground (A/G) will offer lower upkeep costs, enable datalink, reduce frequency interference, improve system security (a hot selling point these days) and permit more flexibility in channel assignment.
  • At first, the system would be mandated for flights in Class A airspace (generally speaking, the airspace above 18,000 feet) in the United States, soon thereafter being adopted for approach and terminal areas.
  • Utilizing VHF digital link mode three, or VDL-3, the system will allow for both long-distance voice (up to 200 miles) and datalink, though the FAA has yet to decide on how it will split the spectrum between voice and data channels.
  • The datalink capability will be used for relaying messages between controllers and pilots, which the FAA thinks will become the norm for most communications with commercial air traffic over the long haul.

The improve system security (a hot selling point these days) caught my eye !!!