PMS50 GNS530 mod

How about, it will say RNAV Approach in the Plate Title. ???

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2014/pdf/05100RRZ19C.PDF

ie RNAV 19C @ KIAD

while an ILS Approach will be titled ILS

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2014/pdf/05100I19CC2_3.PDF

1 Like

it will say gps and LPV at the bottom where it shows minimums

Rnav is a genaric term for aircraft to navagate , could be a vor

Clearly I need a refresher on reading approach plates, specifically RNAV and GPS variants. Like I said, itā€™s been awhile, and even when I was still flying, few GA aircraft were equipped with IFR certified GPS equipment, though VFR was fairly common. My last plane had a VFR GPS, but I couldnā€™t file slant ā€œGā€ with it, so those types of approaches would never have been offered to me in the first place.

But they do seem to not only make things easier, especially when used with an autopilot, but with lower minimums (meaning higher success rates in worse weather), and likely increased safety. I guess Iā€™ll have to start looking around to see if there are any good on-point YouTube videos available.

1 Like

Thereā€™s Java in the sim to go along with the WebASM and XML? Yikes.

Hereā€™s a decent article, that helps to understand things a bit. As mentioned in the article there is - technically - no such thing as an ā€œLPV Approach.ā€

I tend to fly ILS approaches because thatā€™s what I learned, and many smaller airports had them - and many still do - that helped during instrument training. Just keep the needles in the center and wait until you see the rabbit. (If youā€™re flying at night.)

:slight_smile:

Good news, this sim isnā€™t going to teach you that at all. Use it to get the head work down and focus in the plane on flying the plane.

Thanks, this is what I was alluding to in so far as what others had alluded to but not fully explained regarding ā€œMSFS canā€™t capture the glideslope of an RNAV approachā€, and those who keep wanting itā€¦ I have much to learn :slight_smile:

A small cosmetic issue.

Iā€™ve just been playing around with some settings in SPAD, and I promise this is 530 focused, to allow the changing of channel spacing. And Iā€™ve noticed that if I change this via the following MSFS event, it does change in the sim, but the channel spacing page on the 530 does not change to match.

I have version 1.0.26 of the mod.

For example, here is the 530 in 25KHz mode, as you can see by the COM frequencies on the left:

Now if I press, and hold the transfer button on my Logitech panel to switch to 8.33KHz mode, the frequencies on the left change, but the menu options remains on 25KHz:

But it does actually work, the COM SETUP screen is just incorrect now.

The event I am using is:

Because this SimConnect event doesnā€™t appear to work, or I have it configured wrongly. The long press is detected, but channel spacing is unaffected with the SimConnect event below.

I donā€™t know whether detection of that change for that menu item is dependent on SimConnect or not, but the rest of the panel works okay for the other spacing. I had to change the increment/decrement event from these:

to these:

The same behaviour is seen on the 430:

1 Like

The ā€œPā€ in LPV is for precision, as in precision vertical guidanceā€¦ Giving you a GPS generated glide path. Approachs with this capability allow the autopilot to couple to it for an ILS-like approach. In RL this requires a WAAS receiver.

Support for entering airways directly into the Flight Plan page is not currently supported, correct?

No such a feature in the real garmin 530.
Now you can do that with an external software (ex little navmap) and import your flight plan.

1 Like

OMG ā€“ I so would like to be entering my FP into the GNS530 like this ā€¦ with a simulated VFS101.

I assume this would be a massive task for the MSFS, but wouldnā€™t it be COOL, and it is ā€œREAL WORLDā€, Only just discovered it even exists !!

4 Likes

Yes, this is a bug in the code (was here in the original MSFS code). The channel spacing value is only updated at init time so we donā€™t detect any external sim change. I will fix that.

2 Likes

Is the TCAS actually working with callouts and everything?

What do you mean by everything?
The TCAS information in the GPS is advisory only. No interaction between GPS and ATC.

2 Likes

I think he means voice callouts announcing traffic and difference in altitude, possibly type?

I thought that the TCAS makes callouts like for example: Traffic 11 oclock, 3 milesā€¦and so on

I have been trying to figure out the MSFS way to add audio to Gaugesā€¦ the SDK does not seem to be covering this in any detail so far.
AUdio output would seem to be supported, (but not well documented) ā€“ audio ā€œVoice recognitionā€ not at all ā€“ although soem Devs are aready using Voice Recognition in their MSFS Addon Products (ie some ATC system etc)

So a Voice Recognition system for the GNS530 as an addon (like in RW it is an addon)< may be a possibility ā€“ one day ā€¦

1 Like

The <VoicesAlerts> lines in the panel.xml of, for instance, the C-172 G1000 or Bonanza or the WT g3x or WT G1000