PMS50 GNS530 mod

An ICAO code has 3 parts: Type (airport, vor, ndb, intersection) Region (ex RJ for Japan) and an Ident.

Several ICAOs may have the same ident but never in the same region.

So the combination of these 3 data makes the ICAO unique.

Just went searching in LNM for more waypoint ā€œduplicatesā€, and I found three instance of WALLY.

When I added one of them to the plan, it now crashes as I expected it to.

Fpl5.pln (4.7 KB)

You have added a waypoint that is in US (region K2) while your flight plan is in Japon (region RJ).
This is not a very coherent flight plan.

1 Like

Agreed. I am simply making a point that certain ā€œnamedā€ waypoints cannot be added to the plan because it causes a crash.

The sim still have issues when adding waypoints but I donā€™t think this is specific to the MOD.

There you have me! :slight_smile:

They work if I remove Navigraph, although to be fair I have not tested without the mod, and with Navigraph.

I tested this admittedly non-sensical plan to prove a point. I found multiple instances of GRA, of different types, and added some of them:

That worked fine. It looks like it doesnā€™t like ā€œnamedā€ waypoints that have multiple instances.

I donā€™t want to speak for @N6722C, as I am far from qualified, but I would guess I would ask if it were possible for the mod to fail to load the plan instead of crash the sim, if this could be detected.

As I say, probably not a mod issue. I also havenā€™t tested what happens if you try and add ones of those waypoints via the 530 itself, just to see what happens.

So the 530 detects duplicate STEELā€™s:

I chose the RJ one, as that is the region in the flight plan that @N6722C provided, and it worked. But it would not load via the file in the ā€œfpl530ā€ folder:

Loading the plan from file, up to ASANO, them adding the last three by hand works:

But they will not load if they are in the plan.

There is nothing to do here if the simā€™s kernel is crashing after sending it a valid ICAO waypoint to add to the flight plan. The GPS just reads the waypoint from the PLN file, builds the correct ICAO (and unique one from the PLN data) and then asks the simā€™s kernel to add it to the flight plan.

Donā€™t try to do things that you will not do in real life.

1 Like

Good advice, in general I think. I guess this might be one for the Zendesk, or possibly Navigraph in that case.

The problem is the only way to test this is with your mod, as it is currently the only way to load that plan into the 530 while in the cockpit that I know of. I guess it loads fine from the map screen, just not with your mod, and I can see some resistance from both parties, but that is often the way of it.

Iā€™ll start with Navigraph.

I came back to the forum, and see there is a mass of discussion about this FP ā€¦

What seems odd to me that my FP can load finw with MSFS from the welcome page, bit not loaf form within the GNS530, and will cause a CTD.

One thing I did notice, looking at these Japan based Flight Plans, is that sometimes the ā€œAirport ICAOā€ is an ICAO Name, ie RJFU, and at other version of the FP, it used the actual airport name (in English) ā€¦ is ā€œNaoasakiā€ as the ā€œAirport ICAOā€

This would appear to be an area open to issues ??

In any case, why can MSFS load my FP, in the Welcome screen (where it was originally saved from), but not load it from within the GNS530,

That would seem to be the significant distinction ??

I donā€™t know and I canā€™t reproduce your issue with the flight plans you sent to me.

I"ll work on it next week, and try to isolate it down more precisely, If I find anything significant, of course I will let you know :thinking:

And that would appear to be the issue ā€¦

The FPs that donā€™t load seem to have the full Airport name as the airport ICAO Code.

(I need to confirm this,) but it may be that MSFS can read a ,pln where the ICAO is the actual airport name, while the way the MOD is reading the Flight Plan is not supporting this

Then it would seem that this is somehow associated with using NaviGraph database ?

One thing I realized in a somewhat related discussion on a different thread is that the 530 mod displays ā€œGSā€ (glideslope) instead of ā€œGPā€ (glidepath) on LDA approaches.

Is that a bug in the 530 code, the underlying navaid database, or in my own brain by having incorrect expectations? Or other?

Thanks, hope Iā€™m making senseā€¦

Where does it display this ??
Also note, not all LDAā€™s have a Ground based, VHF Radio transmitted Glideslope / Glidepath . signal

You know what? Now that I think about it, I donā€™t think it does. Iā€™m just getting things mixed up in my head, which my wife would tell you is not uncommon for me lolā€¦

As far as whether or not LDAs have a ground based signal or not, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s relevant, especially given my realization above.

1 Like

But I didnā€™t have any problems with the airports. It was just the last waypoints before the destination. Trim out the last three waypoints before the destination, and it loads okay.

What will be interesting is to compare a .pln generated with and without NaviGraph, being loaded into a Sim with/without Navigraph.

Never had this issue before with all the FPs I have generated and used in the USA, but the 1st time I try to fly in japan, I get hit with this unable to load / CTD issue.

Hope to get into it this evening ā€¦

I tried both with, and without Navigraph, and it always works without. Editing the plan in LNM, to exclude STEEL, MAIKO, and TIGER, then loading that into the 530 works. I can then manually enter the last three into the 530, and that works. But loading the entire plan does not for some reason.

Iā€™ll be interesting to know what you find. I may try creating a new plan, with only two airports, and STEEL as the only waypoint en-route to see if that also crashes.

Still puzzled why some Plans have the AIRPORT ICAO code, and some have the Airport Full Names ā€¦ that cannot be right ā€¦ Waypoints are Waypoints, and are really only the same CODES , (set off characters) ā€¦ yet it is the Waypoints that seem to be causing the issue.

maybe its the Waypoints after a non-departure/destination airport , because that airport as a Waypoint has an ICAO Code that is bad ā€“ ie the full airport name ā€¦

Should be easy enough to test ā€¦

Keep going back to wondering why MSFS can load these plans, no matter what, but the GNS530 MOD is having issues (for some)

Available to test the loading of your flight plans but until now you didnā€™t sent me something that produces a CTD on my side.

1 Like