Good FPS but very jerky in VR

Hello all,
Since SU5 I have been getting much better FPS in 2D and in VR, so this is great. The problem is that in VR, the overall experience is not better, it seems more jerky and not as smooth. When buildings pass by they go back and forth very slightly causing micro studders. My experience was actually better before the update as it was smoother with ASW. It seems to be broken now so I have to take it off to have less studders since SU5.

My specs:
I5-9400F
GTX 3070
32Gb Ram
Quest 2, airlink

Thanks!
Jon

1 Like

I experienced the same.

i7-4790k
GTX 1070ti
32GB RAM
Rift

I’m find that it’s pretty smooth now in vr… except that my view keeps jumping around slightly. It’s as if there’s light interfering with my Reverb G2, only there isn’t. I’ve drawn the curtains etc.
Never had this before the latest update.

Regards
Steve

Did you try to turn off ASW? After SU5 it solved all the jerkyness at stutters for me. I’m very pleased now with the performance in VR

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I’ve just had to google ASW :grinning: I guess it’s on Oculus headsets? I used to have a Rift, but I sold it & bought the G2.
Anyway, after reading some other posts I have done two things… cleared the environment data in the WMR settings and even simpler… given the cameras on the headset a quick wipe with a soft cloth.
Whichever one it was has made a difference. The jerks have pretty much stopped :grinning:
Thanks again.

Regards
Steve

1 Like

You might now be on the edge of making framerate or not and wind up bouncing between e.g. 90 and 45 fps (since VR display rate is always locked to a multiple of the headset refresh rate) which creates a more jerky experience than simply clamping to the lower framerate instead. On SteamVR, there is a per app setting for locking the framerate (“Fixed” vs “Auto”). If your headset’s runtime doesn’t have a similar feature (e.g. via a debug tool), another thing you can try is to increase your graphics settings or resolution in order to force it to that lower bound more consistently. This of course means dealing with the artifacts inherent with various reprojection techniques to synthesize the missing in between frames, but generally those are more tolerable than an inconsistent (i.e. jerky) framerate.

2 Likes

You’ll get that kind of jerkyness in any VR game whenever your rendering framerate is not locked to the native refresh rate of your headset, or a submultiple of it.

In order to match your headset’s refresh rate, some frames may have to be displayed multiple times. If you’re rendering at let’s say half of your native refresh rate, each rendered frame is displayed twice, and the pacing between each newly rendered frame is constant. If you’re not rendering at a submultiple, some frames will be displayed once, and some others twice. The uneven pacing between each new frame causes the jerkyness. Because of that, a flat 45 fps feels a lot smoother that hovering around 82-89 fps on my 90Hz headset. Note that the same rule applies to a flat monitor (unless you have a monitor with variable refresh rate) but it doesn’t cause much discomfort if any.

You’ll only get perfect smoothness if you tune your performance settings and lock your framerate so you can constantly hit that submultiple target, and your hardware usage never hits close to 100% (possibly with a considerable margin), which is not how we’re used to tune settings when playing on a monitor.

Yes I am seeing this post hotfix . ASW 30 hz has been best for a while . But something is broken since hotfix

Ok so I achieved smoother performance by switching from 120hz to 90hz with 1.5 SS and ASW off. Much better now. Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

Glad you got it solved. However, you should be aware that the jumping will also occur if the G2 does not get enough light, e.g. when the room is only dimly lit or completely dark. Sitting right in front of the bright monitor will not solve this, as there are cameras in different directions. So you might want to open the curtains again… :wink:

Thanks for the tip :grinning:
I actually have 3 screens and I did try turning them off. Anyway it’s all working fine again now thanks :+1:

Regards
Steve

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.