GPS/FMC entry using PC keyboard ('Gauge Keystroke' binding)

In order to avoid clicking virtual knobs, I’m trying to figure out how to use my PC keyboard for the G1000 & airliner FMC alphanumeric inputs (for example, typing in waypoints) but I can’t seem to figure it out.

The keybindings page has a “Miscellaneous” item called “Gauge Keystroke” with the description:

Enable a keystroke to be sent to a gauge that is in focus. The keystrokes can only be in the range of 0-9, A-Z, and + - , or . This is typically used to allow some keyboard entry into a complex device such as a GPS to enter such things as ICAO codes using the keyboard, rather than turning dials.

But even after binding this option and activating it while in instrument view, nothing is input into the fields. I even tried popping-out the instruments to my second monitor but it still didn’t work.

Anybody know a solution? Or is it bugged?

3 Likes

I would also like to know how or if this works. I have tried using ctrl +1 to focus the Garmin PFD, then clicked on Direct to, then pressed the push button I have assigned to “Gauge Keystroke” and the used they keyboard to type in the ICAO but it doesn’t work. I will keep trying but can’t believe only two of us are interested in this until the softkeys etc arrive!

I am also trying to bind G1000 FMC controls to hardware dual rotary encoders controls and I can’t see how to map it. there does not seem to be any mappings available in the main controller interface. not sure if anyone else may have figured this out yet. I am moving away from Sitek and building panels using Leo Bodnar boards which are fantastic.

I would definitely like to know how this is supposed to work. However, I think that this is bugged or not even implemented in the current state of the sim.

Also when I try selecting something my selector does not come up and also when I press on one of your options it literally does not say validate. It only says back