GPS, VOR and Altitude issus

Today I flew an artic milk run in the DHC-2 Beaver from Yelloknife (CYZF) to Fort Providence (CYJP) and then on to Hay River (CYHY).

During the flight I noticed a two things I don’t understand, the altitude reported on the GPS is 200 feet below the altimeter reading and when you change the nav source from VLOC to GPS on one GPS unit both GPS units are affected.

Is this normal?

I would expect the GPS and VOR Gauges to work independantly of each other.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any assistence in understanding these variences.

Have you noticed if the issue with the units not operating independently in other aircraft or just the Beaver? I’ll check it when I can, but that was a systematic issue prior to One of the recent SU’s (10??) but got fixed. So might be a regression error or something with that aircraft.
Regards

Moved to #self-service:aircraft-systems

The GPS units in all the planes I fly seem to be coupled to each other.

I had assumed that this was normal, until I thought why would you bother to install a very expensive second unit in your aircraft if it didn’t give additional information.

1 Like

I can remember when they “fixed it” I was thrilled because I could set up GPS on one unit and the LOC/ILS on the other unit without having to play the swapping game while doing a complex approach.
Regards
P.S. thanks for the additional info. I’ll take another look at multiple aircraft when I can, but it sounds like it may be broken again.

I’m hopeing that I’m doing something incorrectly, if you find that its working on another aircraft please let me know.

1 Like

Hi @PoppyCashew844
I should have asked previously…… are you using the stock GNS’s or the new early access units from Working Title?
Thanks

The altitude on the GNS is gps altitude not barometric altitude.

Your assumption is correct the GNS source selection should be independent. I haven’t noticed the Beaver config but as already mentioned this was like this for a long time and it got fixed in a recent update. For comparison I know the C172 analog variant does work correctly if you have that aircraft.

I’m using the new Working Title units, they seem to be more realistic.

1 Like

Hi @PoppyCashew844
Since you’re using the new early access versions, you might request the mods close this thread and address the issues at

The WT folks are actively monitoring/working issues identified with their new units. I think you’ll get more/better visibility of the issue there.
Regards

I did a quick test on the standard 172, and the units were correctly working independently like they should. So may just be limited to some specific aircraft (and please don’t let it be related to liveries or we’ll be forever trying to find out which ones work correctly and which ones don’t!!).
I also validated that the Beaver doesn’t work correctly with the original units either, so it’s something in the aircraft (plus potentially other A/C.)
Thanks

Here’s the info direct from Bishop398 (one of the WT devs that works these threads a lot)
“The independent CDI support was added in SU10, but not every aircraft opted to use it. The C172 Classic definitely has it, but support from other aircraft varies and requires some aircraft developer work to add the wiring for.”

So until someone comes along and fixes that specific aircraft, it will continue to work incorrectly (i.e. not independently).
Regards