GPU Memory Usage

Further to the OP question: yes I can see FS2020 over subscribing VRAM very often since WU3.

I’ve documented my initial observations here:
Solution for Stutters & Pauses - #446 by CptLucky8

With more flights since WU3, I can see burst of allocations when this is happening and this coincides with the app needing to allocate new vertex buffers mostly (not necessarily textures). I believe since WU3 FS2020 is more aggressively creating new buffers (read: DX11 buffers) while previous ones, about to be discarded, are still present in VRAM. This is visible in the form of over subscribing VRAM among other things.

Furthermore, since WU3, I can see many occurrences where what seems the time FS2020 is updating the buffer data (read: ID3D11DeviceContext::Map and Unmap), it is causing a stall, similar to a CPU/GPU sync problem. These were already present before but since WU3, they are stronger over a longer period of time.

NB: I observe all the above in VR, I didn’t flew in 3D since VR release.

Additional info:

Some guideline about DX11 constant buffers to help understanding the subject matter I’m talking about:
Constant Buffers without Constant Pain | NVIDIA Developer

Some old material which are giving a good overview of the problems the game must deal with:
https://www.gamedevs.org/uploads/efficient-buffer-management.pdf

2 Likes