Checking Ground or Terrain Spikes

There are several terrain spikes in Patagonia in the reagion around the airport SCPY. This is also the region where the famous loading splash screen was taken (the one with the Cessna) and ironically this spectacular view is now also ruined through a massive terrain spike!!

The image with the camera setup dialog is the one showing the lake and mountain from the loading screen!

Follow the flight Plan provided and you will encounter the first spikes in the first quater of the flight plan (starting direction: south) in the mountains.
TerrainSpikes_LOADING_SCREEN_Patagonia_StartAirport_SCPY.pln (11.5 KB)

Ticket Created (but I bet this one will also be closed with “solved” soon :man_facepalming: ):

Request #99050 Terrain problem / Terrain spikes in Patagonia near SCPY

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/99050

For reproduction you can find specs of my rig in the ticket.

I hope this tedious terrain problems get fixed once and for all!

The scenery in this area is really spectacular and beautiful, but unfortunatly ruined completly by the terrain spikes and other terrain glitches.

The spikes south and east of O03 still exist.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/everyone-has-seen-it-but-where-is-it-loading-screen-location/377068/18?u=ju1ius2416

It seems to be worse the farther North or South you go… Northern Canada, Scotland, Norway etc… horrible… The reason I fly around is to enjoy the sense of realism which is completely and utterly destroyed by these spikes.

Hi there,

After updating today I took the Arrow for a short flight from La Palma to Reina Sofia. And look what I found:

None of that stuff was there when I flew there the last few times. I remember the spikes a few months ago of course. This is different though. Both the walls and spikes disappear as soon as you get to about 20 miles distance. But over the sea it’s still rather annoying.

Anyone experienced something similar?

1 Like

Can confirm for Scottland. Saw some today really close to Ballone Castle Airstrip. Spikes were growing when getting closer.

Can confirm for Patagonia bush trip. Flown yesterday, it’s a spike festival. Really immersion breaking, especially if flown in VR. It’s only four official bush trips, I would expect a more careful scenery check, at least in those routes that are “officially suggested”.

MODERATOR EDIT: This post was merged from another topic.

I am having issues where random spikes/shafts are coming off land, scenery, even my plane.

I have done a clean install and also a clean install of my drivers, but if anything this made it worse.

Dos anyone have any suggestions?

A very weird and unrealistic object that does not tally with what is on the maps or satellite photos of the area.

There is a massive rock pinnacle soaring into the sky at S5. 231364 E 142.357759 in Hela Province
in New Guinea. It is halfway between two jungle airstrips… AYTR & AYXS

Rock climbers and thrill seekers will flock to this malaria infested bit of a very inhospitable area to scale the peaks! The pinnacle is often covered in thunder clouds. An alien base perhaps?

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

Submitted to Zendesk, but couldn’t get it to accept my submission.

If it won’t accept your ticket, it usually means you have omitted a required piece of information. I think it highlights the missing info with some red text.

Those errors pop up around the world, or rather they are discovered from time to time. Congratulations, you found another needle in the haystack. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi @HowardSydney ,

Please file a Bug Report on Zendesk. You can create a new ticket by clicking the “Submit a Request” link on Zendesk’s navbar. This is the preferred method.

You do not have to log in to Zendesk, but logging in allows you to easily track your support tickets in the future.

Make sure you provide a detailed description of your bug, the expected behaviour and detailed steps to reproduce, and pictures or videos if appropriate. If your bug involves a fatal error, or a crash to desktop, consider providing your systems dxdiag and relevant crash logs from the Windows Event Viewer.

How do I Generate a dxdiag?

View this second part of this article for help retrieving crash logs.

We hope this helps you out!

76°40’27.02"S
162°34’4.81"E

Nearest Airport OACI code: NZPG

Flying at 3000 feet from the North west into KORD airport I have seen a few of those scenery spikes where the scenery spikes up higher than the aircraft. Not a lot just 3 or 4 in a 100 or so miles

Build Version # 1.15.70
Steam version
Windows 10
I7 10th gen, 32 meg ram, RTX2060 super, on SSD’s.

I used to fly all over Britain – no spikes…then update… now forget Scotland… now the same thing with France… I used to fly all over the south around Nice and in the Alps… no spikes… update… spikes everywhere…

It is, in my opinion, the worst problem because it destroys any sense of realism. I regret buying some airports now in regions I have a hard time flying into because of the spikes. It is killing revenue.

They must be messing with the terrain algorithms or something.

Please NO MORE UPDATES UNTIL YOU FIX THIS SPIKE PROBLEM…!!!

OH my … I wonder if the good folks actually read our comments… The update to the update this evening fixed the spikes. Wow… I’m off to Scotland to see if they are fixed there too.

Thanks so much!!:slight_smile:

Sadly No… Scotland is a horrid mess… Whatever you did to France… could you PLEASE to to the Britain update too… that is if you are reading this.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Glitches - Raised Waterways -Height Issues - in Waterways - Lakes, Rivers, Bays

Ball’s Pyramid (Australia)
31°45’13.2"S 159°15’01.8"E

Really is a majestic peak coming out of the sea, not a flat sticker over the sea. Please give us the beautiful Ball’s Pyramid. Thanks!

Real pic:

1 Like

These spikes seem to be a new addition. I was getting the odd scenery spike but now seem a lot more common and appear closer to the aircraft…in this case attached to the tail.

Many spikes around Bergen, Norway too…