Ground texture - Low resolution - Internet incorrect Bandwidth

Here’s the same LOD200 over UK country side, 51°59’21.0"N 0°16’21.6"W

To sum it up, if you have super blurry textures this low, something is going wrong on the update on your side but not on everyone.

Same place, LOD 400

Thanks for posting just loading to take images of the same place.
Do you know what your external camera zoom level was please when taking those pictures?

1 Like

You’re welcome! The more we can help each other, the better! Be it for helping people troubleshoot if it is a problem only they and a bunch of people are suffering, or to pinpoint with proofs that can be replicated problems to Asobo so things can’t be dodged.

I can’t recall exactly for the namibia set, there was some on lower altitudes.

The UK set however, I took care of not putting any zoom

Yes, for the majority of the time, whenever I am at 2000 - 7000 ft, it’s pretty bad. I am new to this game. I thought this was my own problem, but I guess this is happening with many players. Wasted a lot of time with those fixes available online. See the screenshot, it is this bad for me many times. 1st screenshot was taken during a straight flight from Dublin to London yesterday. And 2nd screenshot taken today over London itself.

are you new from SU5 or before that with SU4? Can you check in the data option if you have Rolling cache ON and where it has located itself? If off, put it to on, locate it on your best drive (SSD) and put 8GB. If it’s already on, put it off, see if that makes a difference then put it back on at 8GB. See if that also makes a difference

1 Like

It is a disaster, I can assure you it did not look like this before.

I am totally new to the game, I experienced SU5 only, never experienced SU4. I have kept the rolling cache turned off from the very day when I installed the game, which is like 3 or 4 days ago. I will try your method. But I just a few moments ago found a possible cause for this, server load(I read somewhere that there is some kind of new load to the game servers because of Xbox launch). I have explained the experience on this link. Please do let me know what you think.

Totally, I believe you. I saw the gameplay of SU4. The terrain is 10x better than at lower altitudes. Look for my other reply above, follow it if interested. It seems like it’s a server load issue because of the Xbox launch. I was able to find a fix, where you have to pause the game for a few seconds every now and then or fly around a particular area until it is downloaded, lol :clown_face:

1 Like

At 36000ft, all online functionalities are set to on, rolling cache is on with 16GB, everyting is ultra with LOD 400. This is how it looks for me and I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t like this before SU5.

2 Likes

Keeping the Rolling Cache ON at 8GB is working! The bandwidth usage has increased, usage remains very much above 2-3MBps now, unlike before ‘100-120kbps’. Much of it has become beautiful now.
I think after 1 or 2 weeks, things will get even better with servers when uninterested users will slowly leave the game.
Thank you so much PorcoRosse, you are the best!
Here are some screenshots over San Fransico.

1 Like

You changed settings within the game files, didn’t you? If you did, that’s fine and I’m glad you simulator does look amazing, as it should. But, people shouldn’t have to go to that extent. Yours does look great though. I may change my file settings but I’d rather not.

I’m so glad it worked for you!!! Now you can finally enjoy MSFS to its full extent! Or, at least, to the SU5 full extent thats is… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I changed the LOD settings within the well known UserCfg.opt file to extend texture res and draw distance further than what Asobo permits through the menu in-game. No harms except your performance will more or less suffers, but if you have room left you shouldn’t refrain.

That being said, some of the screen were taken at LOD 200, the max Asobo permits through the menu, so those screenshots are what the game is normally capable to do with no modifications straight out of the box, and as we saw it, CHFNova already didn’t have the LOD 200 quality he should have had, so that was usefull, even if he doesn’t edit his UserCfg file.

Other than this, yes I do have a couple of post process filters running for modifying colorimetry to some extent. Been doing that since release since I always found MSFS to look a bit washed out and lacking a lot of contrast, colors not vibrant enough etc. I’m using Reshade for this

They should just put you in charge of the PC graphics then, LOL. I may go in and change those settings within that file. I’m running everything on ULTRA within the permitted game settings and it just doesn’t look good at all. I have pretty much the same hardware you have.

1 Like

I recommend pushing it to 400 then (terrain lod 4.000000 and building LOD to 4.00000 in UserCfg.opt). Be sure to doublecheck that MSFS doesn’t overwrite your values at launch back to 2.00000. I’m having few performances drops at 4.000000, Asobo should allow for a much wider range in the ingame settings.

Do not check in the game menu, whatever values you go, it will still display LOD 200 in game.

If you want to be really sure, push it to 9.000000 and go to a photogrammetry city. If it works, I guarantee your performance will tank at 9 ^^

1 Like

I wish I had bought this game sooner to experience it before the SU5. But at least now I will not see garbage at low altitudes. Soon I will buy a flight kit.
Once again thanks a lot man, I was going to cancel my xbox game pass, but not anymore.

Btw, just to let you know I did increase the LOD to 5 in the usercfg file. Is that what SU5 is all about? Those san francisco screenshots are at LOD 5 for both terrain and objects. Do you think the screenshots are up to the mark? Or does it look like it’s still not streaming the data properly?

1 Like

For me it seems up to what you should have at LOD 5, this what it looks like on my MSFS judging by the screenshots. And as you can see, you experienced a night and day difference already :wink:

The infamous culling appears also much less agressive with LOD 4-5 with rolling cache ON.

You can try and replicate my screenshots at different altitudes to double check. It is why I included the coordinates, so you can start a flight at the very same location. Use slew mode (key Y) to change altitude while the game is paused without the plane going away (check the keys for slew mode in your key bindings). See if you get exact same thing as me.

I’m starting to think that the rolling cache which used to cache the data of places if you visited them very often so as not to download them again constantly, that rolling cache purpose has been entirely changed to act as a virtual memory for the constant culling in order to accommodate for the Xbox only 16Gb of ram which is used in share memory for the Vram which is not a very good scenario…

That would explain why I saw a less aggressive looking culling than when my rollin cache was off, where textures and buildings were redrawn like crazy whenever I was moving the camera…

1 Like

I see. They should have done everything separately for Xbox users, why ruin the experience of PC users, a bit dumb to upset your player base, imo.

I will try those coordinates and get back to you in a few hours or tomorrow.

1 Like

There is hardly any frame difference between your LOD 200 and 400, are you running sharpening in reshade?