PMS50 GTN750 Project

I’ve been flying the GTN 750 on the C208 gran caravan for 15 days now. Updates made as and when. At the rate of 2 to 3 hours of flight per day, no problem, so far.

1 Like

This was why I suspect the 530, and not the 750. I was getting regular crashes with only the 530 installed. I then added the 750, but left both mods installed, and also had the crashes. When I removed both mods, the crashes stopped.

I’m having some hardware issues right now, so can’t really participate until late next week, with any luck, but I had accumulated about 17 hours without a crash till that point which is unheard of for me.

Thank you for all of the work you have done on the mod and the detailed description of the CTDs.

Can anyone please try disabling the ingame VFR map, if that stops your CTDs?
I never had any CTD with PA28 and 750. If have ingame VFR Map disabled and no other Map addons.

1 Like

I was flying with the VFR map, and neither mod, an no crashes. You think there is an interaction between the two?

The problem with this issue it is extremely random. You’d can’t put it into a situation and declare it is fixed because it doesn’t crash. I’ve had crashes twice in 5 minutes while taxiing, and I’ve had it crash over an hour into a flight.

It’s next to impossible to create a scenario where you know it will crash. All I know is that without the mods my sim is stable.

Hopefully I’ll get some replacement hardware next week so I can fly again, but as I said before:, with roughly 17 hours, and no crashes that is all the evidence I need at this time. But further testing is needed, and I was hoping to get to 20 hours, then test each mod isolation. I have never used the 750 on its own, for example.

1 Like

I can see that in the Crash Dump analysis, but with the non-debug executables, its not easy for me, as a user, to identify where the issue actually is.
IF Asobo were sent minidumps of CTS events, would they be able to tell where the issue was, or would they have to have the CTD occur on one of their Dev systems ?

2 Likes

On another subject, could you add the Seneca V to your compatible aircraft list please?

Another LONG coast to coast test flight set up this morning, same FP as the one that did a CTD yesterday.

This time NO INTERNET., restarted MSFS after turning off ONLINE Network connections.

Strange feeling – No Big Brother watching !!! Its not too bad without streaming scenery !!!
So lets see if no outside interaction, reduces / stops the occasional CTD. ?

If I were a betting man, I would say NO ATC, no MP Traffic, no real time scenery updates – might eliminate the CTDs ??

Already done^^. Just download the new version. Kind Regards. Jay Dee

1 Like

I just try to figure out what is different between the people how have CTD´s and me^^. I just know the AI traffic caused a lot of CTD after last major patch, that the DEv Mod 100% crashed my PA28 and the rest is speculation^^. Kind Regards, JayDee

1 Like

– I tend to always fly with Dev Mode on, and very seldom get CTDs – but I do occasionally.

Maybe next test flight, I should turn off Dev Mode … or at least only turn it on when I “REALLY” need it

I fly the JF Arrow. After removing the GTN 750 the CTDs seem to have stopped (after 5 hours no CTD).

So now i will activate the GTN750 again and remove the VFR map from the toolbar. Does this disable the VFR map entirely?

I have CTD’d 5 times yesterday, ALL 5 while using the 750. 3 of them while flying the JF Piper Arrow, and 2 while flying the Diamond DA62x mod. I have not CTD’d without the 750, so I do suspect that is the issue. Have flown a host of other planes and avionics mods without crashing.

2 Likes

I installed the GTN750 again and after 10 minutes in flight a CTD.
Tried again with the VFR map turned off, and again after about 10 minutes CTD.
Now i am going to test it in another aircraft.

EDIT: I got a CTD in the C172 after about 10-15 minutes

1 Like

There is an option in the last version of the GTN to disable Traffic data and messaging. These 2 features are the only ones constantly checked by the GPS. So try to disable them.
Disable also any AI feature in the game.
Test with one of the standard aircrafts.
Fly with clear sky.
Remove any other Mods or external software.
DO NOT overclock your GPU.
Read that: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015893879-Crashing-CTDs-issues.

I’m still waiting for an exact GTN sequence to reproduce a CTD. I will be happy if somebody can give it to me.

Working on it… but so far most of my CTD only appear after an 10+ hour flight (as the last 3, after flying all day from about 07:00 , with a CTD between 18:00 - 19:00 Eastern USA time !! )

There’s the rub.

Every single one of my crashes happened while I was not actively using either GPS.

Two of my most recent ones were while I was taxiing, so the I had started the plane, contacted ATC for taxi clearance, and begun taxiing. Another I was an hour into a flight, and again not touching the GPS. I could tell you it was in the main map page, but that’s about it.

I have never once had a situation, other than that issue where we had issues loading plan files into the 530 where I could state “I press this button, then twiddle this knob, and CTD”.

They would have an easier time because they would have retail symbols to load with the crash dump. However, compiler optimizations make this type of crash dump analysis much harder. You have to have a very good understanding of systems level debugging to make headway. The other problem with mini dumps is that there is no associated memory, so even if you know the stack that caused the crash, sometimes that is not enough to figure out the root cause.

1 Like

A log file with different levels is the best companion in this situation but I don’t know if there is one here.

1 Like

Well…I just had a CTD with the 530 mod instead of using the 750. The CTD itself was very similar to the last one I had (both with the JF Piper Arrow). Both of these last crashes occurred on approach about 2NM out from different airports. As FYI, both of these flights (and pretty much all of my flights) are also using SkyPark, but I don’t know whether that matters or not. Out of my 7 crashes, 2 of them were on the runway throttling up for the takeoff, 2 were as mentioned above, and the rest just randomly during cruise.