[GUIDE] How to create a new airport (version 0.3)

Hello guys,

so you probably had a look at the SDK documentation and wanted to create some airports but maybe some of you are struggling with the SDK documentation or are a bit clueless. So I created a tutorial after I received some much-needed help from @RinseV. I will just attach it here using G-Drive and leave it for now.

Link to version 0.1

For now, I’ll leave it and go off until tomorrow!

Edit 1:

It has been one day since I uploaded the first version. I had a look at some of your questions and wishes. For now, I changed the tutorial to be a bit easier. Also, I added some of the frequently asked questions. Now I’ll probably dive more into some of the specific airport editing tools.
Also, I’m glad to hear so many of you succeded in creating your own airports, so I’m grateful that my tutorial helped you! For now, I’ll leave you with the newer version.

Edit 2:

Some days have passed and I’ve worked on providing more examples and guides for specific things, such as terraforming, vegetation, taxiways, signs, gates…
Have fun creating your airports, glad so many of you find it helpful and continue to ask questions in this “master thread” so we can help each other.

Link to version 0.3 (previously 0.2)

84 Likes

Trying now!

1 Like

Awesome work! :grin:

Btw, wanted to add that the SimpleAiprort sample uses this folder structure:

SimpleAirport
          + PackageDefinitions
              + mycompany-airport
                  + ContentInfo
                      - Thumbnail.jpg
                  - Business.json
              - mycompany-airport.xml
          + PackageSources
              + data
                  - mynn.xml
              + materials
                  + Textures
                      - Asphalt01_Albedo.png
                  - myasphalt.material
          - AirportProject.xml

Where the AssetDir is PackageSources/data

Folder structure is a somewhat personal choice however, so whatever floats your boat EDIT: Except the OutputDir, I got errors when the directory was not called “scenery”, or a sub directory in directory named “scenery”

Nice document, maybe you can add parts about the specific object types for an airport, since the SDK itself is quite limiting. Especially the taxiways and taxiway signs are vaguely described in the SDK (in my opinion). Looking forward to all the airports people will create.

3 Likes

thanks for putting tihs together. i will try it this evening on a missing airport.

1 Like

How do I overwrite an existing airport?

1 Like

You will need to exclude the existing one and then create a new one to replace it

1 Like

Can a copy of the old one be exported?

1 Like

thank you so much i did 3 times a swiss airport around 2-3 hours of work to be lost at the saving

4 Likes

How do you build the content though?

Where do I find this ‘AssetDir’ folder in the build settings, I just keep getting build errors because I can’t find it. And also once the package has been built in what directory do we put this package in so that we can Beta test it in offline mode?

2 Likes

Thanks! Just one question: how do you open the scenery back up, to continue working on it later on?

1 Like

awesome… tried it, worked like a charm. many thanks again.

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is perfect! Was killing myself trying to figure out the steps. Now building my first airport. Have done some for default X-Plane gateway (KFDK, KGAI, UKBB, and some more).

1 Like

What a coincidence! I was just going to do FDK right now haha

2 Likes

Working on it now :slightly_smiling_face:
Will take some time…

1 Like

I’ve followed every inch of what the pdf is stating and it is working for me. I really appreciate what you have done to finish the pdf. Amazing. Thanks a lot @Lyriax4391 and @RinseV for making it super easier.

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey! Thanks a lot for the guide! I followed the steps but I’m having some trouble. I’m trying to make a new airport so I put all the ‘delete’ options for airport in scenery editor (according to the SDK docs), then I copy the package into community folder but it still loads the original airport I’m trying to replace. Any help? Thanks!

1 Like

If you mean the base airport then no. As mentioned elsewhere you could get the XML for the FSX version using something like ADE and use that as the basis for your modified airport. It probably won’t be exactly the same but it will form a good basis. We are working on ADE for FS2020 so that airports can be modified with it and then the XML exported and built into the sim.

6 Likes

Thank you! :heart_eyes:

1 Like